PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 75 gallon

Llorgon
03-05-2018, 12:42 AM
Hey everyone,

Recently got out of freshwater and trying my hand at full time reef keeping!

I started about a year ago with a 10 gallon and it has gone... Well, honestly its gone to shit. Over last summer I skipped some water changes and I got overrun with bubble algae then I got rid of the bubble algae and got red slime. I was shocked how fast it spread and I lost most tank inhabitants. I have a snail, 4 hermits and 3 corals left :(

So now that I know what not to do. I can hopefully make a whole new set of mistakes with the 75 gallon!

My plan is to have the tank as a mixed reef. And keep the 10 gallon as a quarantine/frag tank. I'm not sure what sort of fish I'm going to add. The wife says she wants clown fish. So I guess there will be at least one clown fish. So pretty open to fish ideas.

I picked up a 75 gallon setup from a member here for a great price. So I have a tank, stand, sump and return pump.

I still need

Heater - eheim Jager 200 watt

Skimmer - I'm guessing this is like freshwater filters and it's better to get a bigger skimmer than smaller.

Lights - my heart says LED, but my budget says t5

ATO - are there good and bad types of ATO pumps or will a cheap one do?

Sand - what are my options? I think I have only seen the bagged "live" sand.

Dry rock - I have some places in mind. What are some good places to get dry rock from?

Ro/di unit - parents have a extra one, just need to pick it up from their place in Kelowna.

Does anyone have recommendations on ATO units and skimmer?

I think I can get the lights last since I can start cycling without them.

I have two hydor koralia 1150gph powerheads. Will that be enough flow or will I need more?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180305/7860b7944c7b454715333e48f9c48737.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Llorgon
03-12-2018, 10:35 PM
Picked up some lights and live rock from a fellow members last night and on Saturday I got some sand at j&l aquatics.

Going to pickup a spare ro/di unit at my grandparents house this weekend so I am on my way to getting water in the tank!

Still need to get a heater and ATO. For ATO I am thinking of going with Apex. I like that it has the 2 sensors plus a float valve and in the future I can hook up sensors and all that fun stuff.

Also started playing around with the rock scape. I think that's the hardest part so far!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180312/0808686effcb08d41d199613b7a15b58.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180312/da7d4289b8c9443f59214f3173bc5e9c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180312/3f1ae912efb1e3ce36e031fb726cd399.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180312/7e52c7d7c06e42ced50afac86cbbe040.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180312/386e4927b2dd8608a1df3500c7d50d2d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180312/cf119378ce44af8e28a05218219ef19b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180312/bad9227788ac5a3b1b888cd705edff6c.jpg

Frogger
03-12-2018, 10:56 PM
That rock doesn't look live. To avoid other reefers problems you might want to bleach your rock if you haven't done so already. You learned the hard way last time. There are lots of nasties out there much worse or difficult to treat then bubble algae and red slime.

Llorgon
03-12-2018, 11:06 PM
That rock doesn't look live. To avoid other reefers problems you might want to bleach your rock if you haven't done so already. You learned the hard way last time. There are lots of nasties out there much worse or difficult to treat then bubble algae and red slime.

My bad! Meant to say dry rock! Got a box of dry rock he didn't use in his new tank.

Llorgon
03-13-2018, 04:20 PM
Played around with more rock scapes.

I think this one is too low in the tank. I might need to pick up some more rock.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180313/0755b62d54f913fc322840f3277f375e.jpg

DKoKoMan
03-13-2018, 05:31 PM
IMO your aquascape is taking a minimal approach. I have a similar scape right now and it makes cleaning the sandbed easy. Keep in mind as things grow out / up it will fill out nicely. That being said you could always build a little higher if that’s what you are thinking.

Llorgon
03-13-2018, 08:28 PM
IMO your aquascape is taking a minimal approach. I have a similar scape right now and it makes cleaning the sandbed easy. Keep in mind as things grow out / up it will fill out nicely. That being said you could always build a little higher if that’s what you are thinking.

I wasn't going for minimalist approach it just kinda turned out that way. Actually it was the wife that was like I have an idea and rearranged all the rocks in the tank. I kinda like it, but I wonder if I should add a few pieces to make it a bit taller/more caves and such?

I checked out your tank, looks like a bit of a similar rockscape. Anything you would change about it?

DKoKoMan
03-14-2018, 04:03 AM
To be honest I wouldn’t change a thing. The fish love to swim around laps in my tank so they love cutting through the center rockwork and corals. Since most my frags are small colonies everything has been rowing up/out. My problem now is to transfer my tank and make as close to the scape as I have now.

Llorgon
03-14-2018, 03:51 PM
That's good to know. I think I have finally settled on a rockscape. I can always add more rock later if I need/want.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180314/77e38f1f3694d5e861012490a8f77384.jpg

DKoKoMan
03-15-2018, 06:09 AM
Looks good! Your fish will like the swimming room. Keep your eyes open for some unique pieces to add overhangs or caves :smile:

Llorgon
03-19-2018, 08:08 PM
Cleaned the back of the tank and added sand.

Still need to setup my room/di unit I got on the weekend then I can start filling the tank.

I have 2 hydor koralia 1150gph power heads will that be enough flow or will I need some bigger ones?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/d872b0abef52e815069fa6724cd94f43.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/0bb703b1cc4e821be37a0d44e7971121.jpg

DKoKoMan
03-19-2018, 10:44 PM
Once you fill the tank you may want to pickup some pieces of LR to help seed your tank and speed up the cycle. The power heads and return pump will provide your total flow and it all depends on what kind of corals you will be keeping.

Llorgon
03-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Once you fill the tank you may want to pickup some pieces of LR to help seed your tank and speed up the cycle. The power heads and return pump will provide your total flow and it all depends on what kind of corals you will be keeping.

I am planning on cycling the tank the slow way with just some shrimp and wait a few months. Gives me time to save up for a protein skimmer!

Went to setup my RO/DI unit last night... turns out it's more complicated than I thought and I will have to make a trip to the hardware store on the weekend.

AquaAddict
03-21-2018, 03:31 AM
I have a Vertex Omega 130 that is approx 4 years old. Retails for approx $330 (on sale) at J&L. I would want $150.00

AquaAddict

Llorgon
03-22-2018, 08:47 PM
I have a Vertex Omega 130 that is approx 4 years old. Retails for approx $330 (on sale) at J&L. I would want $150.00

AquaAddict

Thanks for the offer. I am a bit short on cash right now, but if it's still available in a month or so I would take you up on that.

Llorgon
03-26-2018, 07:57 PM
So yesterday I got the tank filled and everything running. Added my salt and now I am just waiting for it all to dissolve and for the cloudiness to go away.

In my excitement of setting everything up I may have forgot to rinse the live rock... oops! So a bit cloudier than it needed to be.

Everything seems to be running fine, no leaks and it's pretty quiet. I have been having trouble with one of my power heads running loud. I took it apart and cleaned it and it was good for a few hours, but slowly has been getting louder.

When I get home from work I will see if the tank has got up to temperature and then make sure the salinity is correct. Then I can start cycling!

Usually for cycling the tank I use fish food, but since I'm out of fish food I was thinking of trying the pure ammonia method.

Anyone tried that does it work better, worse, the same?

Llorgon
03-28-2018, 08:05 PM
Got the tank filled and started cycling. Turns out I had some frozen mysis shrimp left over in the freezer so I threw some of that in the tank.

What is a normal amount of evaporation I should be seeing in the sump?

I'm adding about a cup or so of water a day to the sump. Is that normal? I have checked everywhere and I see no signs of a leak. Water level in the display tank stays the same.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180328/8702c42a06886170ec97acd7b02966b6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180328/76669330c505b53686ae6b25e8e9157e.jpg

WarDog
03-28-2018, 08:24 PM
Only 1 cup? You can expect up to 1 gallon evaporation per day for a 75 gal system. Give or take, results may vary, closed course, professional driver, do not attempt.

Llorgon
03-28-2018, 11:06 PM
Only 1 cup? You can expect up to 1 gallon evaporation per day for a 75 gal system. Give or take, results may vary, closed course, professional driver, do not attempt.

Well then I guess my evaporation is pretty good. I am nowhere near a gallon of evaporation... yet. It will probably get worse in the summer when it gets warmer.

Going to need a ATO ASAP!

Llorgon
03-29-2018, 03:10 AM
Wife didn't make me go to the gym tonight, yay rest day! So I got to do some parameter testing tonight.

Prepare for day 4 boring update!

Phosphate - 0
pH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 81F

I think the temp was a bit on the high side so I moved the heater down to 79 to see how that goes. Also added some more of the frozen mysis shrimp. Hopefully I will see some ammonia soon.

Is there anything else I should be testing for at this point?

So far, even with the evaporation keeping salinity stable has been way easier than the 10 gallon. Definitely need a ATO though.

Anyone have any good recommendations for one?

I am thinking of going with the Neptune ATK system. I like that I can get probes in the future for leak sensors and having 2 optical sensors and the float valve seem like a good idea.

Llorgon
04-01-2018, 04:36 AM
Finally started to see a bit of ammonia today when I tested the water. So the cycle should be on its way soon... I hope.

Started working on a stocking list. Finding this to be difficult since I know very little about saltwater fish. Also trying to find a good mix of colour and not breaking the bank.

So far what I have is

Flame angel - Hopefully I can find one that doesn't eat coral
a couple clown fish - wife says this is a must, trying to talk her out of it
Kole Yellow Eye Tang
Royal gramma basslet
Some sort of wrasse, haven't made up my mind of which
maybe a blenny or goby if I'm not over stocked already. I could get a shrimp to go with the goby.

DKoKoMan
04-01-2018, 11:36 AM
Clownfish are awesome! Get yourself an anemone and a mated pair. This makes for nice movement and entertainment in the tank.

duncangweller
04-01-2018, 04:05 PM
I always wanted clowns in my 75 gallon too and I had some for a couple of years and then they got really territorial once they started breeding.

They would attack every time I stuck my hand in the tank. You wouldn't think a little fish could do much damage but the little things drew blood a couple of times and used to make me jump and fling water everywhere when they caught me off guard. I got rid of them and wouldn't put any back in my tank again.

Just my musings on the subject

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Llorgon
04-01-2018, 07:31 PM
I always wanted clowns in my 75 gallon too and I had some for a couple of years and then they got really territorial once they started breeding.

They would attack every time I stuck my hand in the tank. You wouldn't think a little fish could do much damage but the little things drew blood a couple of times and used to make me jump and fling water everywhere when they caught me off guard. I got rid of them and wouldn't put any back in my tank again.

I have heard this quite a bit. Clowns are entertaining, but can be really territorial and aggressive. Which is why I am hesitant to add them. I don't really want them tanking over the entire one side of the tank or something like that.

DKoKoMan
04-02-2018, 12:35 AM

Crazy! My clowns are be complete opposite. They will eat out of my hand and constantly lay eggs. If you put a new coral near their nem they will attack it for a bit then grow bored.

Llorgon
04-02-2018, 11:05 PM
Sounds like they can be hit and miss. I talked to the wife and she won't budge on the clowns. So they are staying. So right now my stock list will be

Flame angel
Clown fish x2
Kole Yellow Eye Tang
Royal gramma basslet
Melanurus wrasse

Can I fit anything else in there? I think some sort of bottom dwelling fish would be good. Goby of some sort maybe?

Then I would have the general cleaning crew with a couple of shrimp.

I am finding getting a stocking list for this tank to be way more challenging than freshwater. Seems like all reef fish you can only have one per tank.

Frogger
04-03-2018, 03:44 AM
Your melanarus wrasse and your shrimp might not be the best of friends. I only added a melanarus to help battle the monti nudibranch because I am getting tired of pulling the little white ungrateful Ba***** out of my tank.

Llorgon
04-03-2018, 03:47 PM
Your melanarus wrasse and your shrimp might not be the best of friends. I only added a melanarus to help battle the monti nudibranch because I am getting tired of pulling the little white ungrateful Ba***** out of my tank.

Ok that is good to know. Is that true for all types of wrasses or just melanarus?

chizerbunoi
04-03-2018, 04:15 PM
Get the clownfish and let her pick them out and name them. It will keep her happy and excited about your hobby. If she is happy, she will support your future upgrade when her clowns need a bigger home. :twised:

Llorgon
04-03-2018, 06:04 PM
Get the clownfish and let her pick them out and name them. It will keep her happy and excited about your hobby. If she is happy, she will support your future upgrade when her clowns need a bigger home. :twised:

HA! That's a good idea. I will probably do that. She's actually pretty good. As long as it "looks pretty" and we can still pay the mortgage and buy food, I can do what I want for the most part. She has her expensive hobby and I have mine.

dino
04-03-2018, 07:47 PM
I would never get a clown again. one time it actually went into my net and I contemplated getting rid of it. I kept it though because it was my first fish

Llorgon
04-04-2018, 04:02 AM
I would never get a clown again. one time it actually went into my net and I contemplated getting rid of it. I kept it though because it was my first fishSounds like clown fish are kind of hit and miss. What did the clown do?

Llorgon
04-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Did some more water tests last night.

Phosphate - 0
pH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0.50ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 79F

Up to losing about 6 cups of water a day. Hoping to see some nitrates soon.

I have 2 remaining corals in my 10 gallon. Kenya tree and GSP. What is the best dip to use for killing any nuisance algae for when I can finally transfer them to the new tank?

I tried a hydrogen peroxide dip with some other corals that were being overtaken by the red cyno in the 10 gallon and it just killed them...

Llorgon
04-15-2018, 02:44 AM
Bit of a update.

Seeing some nitrate in the tank still no nitrite and I still have some ammonia so coming along slowly.

Bought a atk auto top off system today. So now I won't have to top off the sump every night. What do people use for reservoirs?

I have a big water cooler jug that would fit in the stand, but there wouldn't be room for the electronics.

Might have to make a little electronics cabinet to go beside the tank...

Llorgon
04-22-2018, 02:45 AM
Tested the water again today. Cycle is well on it's way. Have started to see some nitrates.

Phos - 0
pH 8.0
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 5.0
Nitrate 5.0-10

DKoKoMan
04-22-2018, 04:56 AM
Sweet! Almost at the home stretch now.

Llorgon
04-22-2018, 05:34 AM
So I setup the atk auto top off system. Plugged it in, blue light came on, filled a bit, pump turned off seemed to be all good. Few mins later alarm went off. I unplugged and plugged it back in after checking connections, nothing looked out of place. Few minutes later alarm again!

It seems to go off every 10 mins, single beep.

From the atk website I can see what should trigger the alarm.

1. Your ATK has run for more than 5 minutes.  This will be true anytime power is applied to the FMM and there are less than 5 fills completed by your ATK.  In this condition the FMM will alarm a single long beep.

- it has done less than 5 fills, alarm is a single reoccurring beep. Not a long beep

2. If your ATK has had an opportunity to activate the IQ Fill safety feature.  IQ-Fill will become active after the FMM has learned your aquariums normal filling behavior.  This takes 5 fill-ups before becoming true.  In this condition the FMM will alarm a single long beep.

- again not the same beep, hasn't done 5 fills.

3. Your top level sensor has been covered for more than 10 minutes.  Your top level sensor will turn off your PMUP immediately, but will not create an alarm condition until it has been covered for more than 10 minutes.  In this condition the FMM will alarm with two beeps.

- time is about right. Alarm goes off every 10 mins, but it's only one beep.

4. Your optional sensor plugged into input #4 is no longer under water.  This could be an additional low level optical sensor in your ATK reservoir or in your sump.  In this condition the FMM will alarm with four beeps.

- I have nothing plugged into input #4.

5.Your optional sensor plugged into input #3 is under water or wet.  This could be a leak detection probe or an additional high level optical sensor placed in your sump.  In this condition the FMM will alarm with three beeps.

- I have nothing plugged into #3.

I attached images of my setup. Maybe someone can see what's wrong.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180422/b5fdca93223fb91a0401f264dd0895ff.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180422/6698c4ae297e31c5c1c7f1bc7a3ce595.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180422/585c46989c0939e257f0d29f94ce9722.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180422/fa78bcfff8b6e20a7759745b1b055948.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180422/55e59409896d6ced08b71d446bce92b1.jpg

DKoKoMan
04-22-2018, 05:52 AM
I bought this for my new tank. Install the antisiphon piece that came with the Neptune ATK. Since the module is in the water at all times it will slowly siphon raising your water level over top top sensor (10 mins) and the alarm is triggered.

Llorgon
04-22-2018, 05:56 AM
I have the siphon break installed. It's above the water level in the reservoir.

I have my water level marked in the sump and it hasn't moved at all. Well, not since I turned it on the first time, it filled a bit, then stopped. Other than that it was plugged in for 30 mins and no change to the water level. But the alarm was still going off every 10 mins.

DKoKoMan
04-22-2018, 06:07 AM
It’s a PItA ... I think I have mine dialed in and out of no where I will hear the darn beeping. Too early to tell but I think since I installed the siphon break it may be good. I’m running it out of a 5g pail as I’m waiting for my ATO container. I’m scared to adjust or touch this thing.

Llorgon
04-22-2018, 06:14 AM
Does the pump and siphon break have to be sitting vertically? Both my pump and siphon break are at a bit of angle. Could that be it?

DKoKoMan
04-22-2018, 06:20 AM
Shouldn’t cause an issue... but this thing is definitely very finicky. I will take a photo of how mine is installed tomorrow.

Llorgon
04-22-2018, 04:23 PM
So I plugged it in again this morning, watched it top off the tank. Everything good. The siphon break works as expected. No water siphoning back.

Again 10 mins later alarm sounds. I watched a video of how to get the different alarms and what I thought was one beep is their two beeps.

So 2 beeps every 10 mins would seem to indicate the high water sensor has been covered for 10 minutes... Only problem is the water level only comes halfway up the first sensor... Could the sensors somehow been switched up?

DKoKoMan
04-22-2018, 05:22 PM
Most likely the water is touching the top sensor... even looking at it sometimes you can’t tell but it’s touching. Move your entire float magnet up to test this.

DKoKoMan
04-22-2018, 05:23 PM
Or take it back and get the Tunze Osmolator :lol:

Llorgon
04-22-2018, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=DKoKoMan;1026501]Most likely the water is touching the top sensor... even looking at it sometimes you can

Llorgon
04-23-2018, 01:30 AM
Hmm looks like my last post didn't send for some reason...

Anyways it worked. Moving it up stopped the alarm for the most part. It did go off again once this afternoon, but turning it on and off seemed to have worked.

Next step is to start work on the equipment cabinet...

DKoKoMan
04-23-2018, 02:15 AM
Hmm looks like my last post didn't send for some reason...

Anyways it worked. Moving it up stopped the alarm for the most part. It did go off again once this afternoon, but turning it on and off seemed to have worked.

Next step is to start work on the equipment cabinet...

I figured that would help by moving it up. Glad you were able to work it out.

Llorgon
04-23-2018, 02:57 AM
I figured that would help by moving it up. Glad you were able to work it out. Thanks for the help. It was weird visually it wasn't touching the water. When I felt it, it felt dry. Must have been the tiniest edge of the sensor touching the water.

DKoKoMan
04-23-2018, 05:32 AM
No sweat. I went through the same thing, swore it wasn’t covered and eventually moved it up.

Llorgon
04-26-2018, 04:01 AM
Ah something seems to be up with Tapatalk. My replies to quotes don't seem to be working.

Anyways, glad I'm not the only one that had some issues with the atk.

Tested my water again tonight.

Phos - 0
pH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 5.0
Nitrate 10

Hopefully it won't be too much longer before I can move over my few remaining corals from my 10 gallon.

gregzz4
04-26-2018, 05:36 AM
Haven't been following your build closely, but just saw what you posted ...

Nitrites 5.0
Nitrates 10.0

Your tank is empty right now, yes? If so you are on the right path. Whatever you have been doing to add ammonia needs to be stopped and you need to see the Nitrites drop.
Hopefully when the NO2 drops the NO3 will also drop.
Ideally, when the NO2 goes away, the NO3 will come down/go away too.

Sorry I haven't been following your build. I gather you're getting ready to add critters?

If you can keep adding your Ammonia product without your NO2 showing up, and without seeing any significant NO3, you can keep it up until you are ready to start adding critters.

Llorgon
04-26-2018, 03:38 PM
Haven't been following your build closely, but just saw what you posted ...

Nitrites 5.0
Nitrates 10.0

Your tank is empty right now, yes? If so you are on the right path. Whatever you have been doing to add ammonia needs to be stopped and you need to see the Nitrites drop.
Hopefully when the NO2 drops the NO3 will also drop.
Ideally, when the NO2 goes away, the NO3 will come down/go away too.

Sorry I haven't been following your build. I gather you're getting ready to add critters?

If you can keep adding your Ammonia product without your NO2 showing up, and without seeing any significant NO3, you can keep it up until you are ready to start adding critters.

Yep tank is empty. Just rocks and sand.

I stopped feeding the tank with mysis shrimp a week ago while waiting for the cycle to complete.

Not in a huge hurry to add critters. Mostly want to move my kenya tree and gsp coral to the 75 gallon so I can start turning the 10 gallon into a sort of quarantine tank. I figure I have a few more weeks to wait before adding a cleanup crew of any sort.

gregzz4
04-26-2018, 11:54 PM
What I was getting at is for you to keep adding small amounts of ammonia producing stuff to keep the bacteria levels up enough so when you add critters/fish you don't go through much of a cycle

Llorgon
04-27-2018, 04:11 AM
Ah. I misunderstood. I had read that once ammonia is gone and you start to see nitrites and nitrates that you should stop feeding the tank.

It does make sense to continue to feed it a bit every few days to make sure the bacteria that has grown doesn't die.

Llorgon
04-30-2018, 02:17 AM
Came back from being away all weekend to a diatom bloom. Cycle seems to be coming along nicely.

Hopefully next weekend I will be able to add some clean up crew.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180430/e9f1baad38e39aeb8b6c0f177b43c013.jpg

smokinreefer
04-30-2018, 03:48 AM
Looking good, i like the rockwork.

Llorgon
05-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Thanks. I still might add a bit to it later on to make it taller with some more overhangs.

I have run into some issues. Seems like the lid to my ATO reservoir doesn't close tightly since I have the power cable to the pump that goes under the lid. This is causing water to leak out when the ATO is running. Gets in between the container and the lid and then runs down the side and I have a small puddle on the bottom of my stand.

So I either have to get a new reservoir or I may be able to drill another hole through the top of the lid and put the power cable through that. Hopefully that will work.

Llorgon
05-04-2018, 03:58 AM
The other night I drilled a hole I the top of my ATO reservoir to put the power cable for the pump through. That seems to have helped with the water leaking. The lid closes fully now and no more water in my stand!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180504/c229664348315b8ee6b5e40cb94d57bf.jpg

Llorgon
05-04-2018, 04:00 AM
The diatom bloom I had left just as quickly as it came. Now back to white sand and rocks.

Haven't had a chance to test my water this week, so not sure where I am in the cycle, but hopefully it's almost complete.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180504/8b231a9a78ee425c30f77b3793316800.jpg

Llorgon
05-05-2018, 02:21 AM
Got a chance to test my water again tonight.

Phos - 0

pH 7.8-8.0

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5.0

I think my cycle is done?!

I have a couple coral in my 10 gallon I would like to move over. What sort of dip should I use to kill off the bubble and red cyno I have been fighting in it?

Or would it be safer to not move them over? It's two Kenya trees and a big chunk of gsp.

DKoKoMan
05-05-2018, 02:41 AM
Try and remove the bubble algae from the coral without popping them. I think you would be able to just use a turkey baster to remove the cyano.

Llorgon
05-05-2018, 03:06 AM
The coral has no algea on them, but in the tank they are in I have been fighting both bubble algae and cyno. While both are almost all gone I don't want to inadvertently introduce it to my new tank.

Which is why I was thinking dipping them would be a safe idea.

DKoKoMan
05-05-2018, 03:37 AM
I use the revive dip for my new frag additions.

Llorgon
05-06-2018, 05:42 PM
Picked up 3 frags from the fish store yesterday. Got a orange eye chalice, acan and a random red sps coral. I also picked up some revive to dip all my corals in.

Unfortunately I need to work on my coral photography skills. Hard to get cell phone pics that turn out well.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180506/b5a18d2ca2b2b9c9ddab199f120e12d9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180506/817dc13b6504d9943bb08b609f324821.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180506/da80bb2bc678c93e6dab436b7572d39c.jpg

WarDog
05-06-2018, 07:42 PM
Where do you have bubble algae?

Llorgon
05-07-2018, 02:54 AM
Where do you have bubble algae?I have the bubble algae in my 10 gallon. It's almost completely gone, but if I transfer over the few surviving coral I don't want to bring in any bubble algae or cyno. So hopefully the revive will kill it if there is any hidden on them.

Llorgon
05-09-2018, 04:02 AM
So moved around the corals I bought into slightly more permanent places... I hope.

Also experimented on some frags of gsp I made. I dipped one in hydrogen peroxide and the other in revive. They both had some film like algae covering them. The first picture is of the gsp frag dipped in hydrogen peroxide. Looks likes it's opened up more than the other frag.

You can also see my one algae I have in the pictures.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180509/9b53f75d6ce0bc10769bf8eed859e36e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180509/a9d72305e60b5de771c24dc35de73722.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180509/f3621dcf346a1860687871a6e46c2489.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180509/91485993ed5332b014a88342f5f294fe.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180509/8a6550157004b2d2fed0b7bba2c1a400.jpg

Llorgon
05-16-2018, 03:43 AM
My one acropora frag I got seems to have developed some red algae. Any ideas on what it is and how to get rid of it?

Turbo snails maybe or can I pull it off?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180516/01ade07f3a5a788ca35ca03e9b0715f7.jpg

DKoKoMan
05-16-2018, 03:51 AM
Looks almost like cyano (makes sense with a new tank). I could be wrong but that’s my guess.

Llorgon
05-16-2018, 04:50 AM
I hope it's not cyno!

It kinda looks like hair algae except it's red instead of green.

Llorgon
05-22-2018, 02:48 AM
Went away for the long weekend and came back to lots of algae. Looks like mostly diatoms with some green algae and some cyno.

I will be picking up a skimmer this week so hopefully that should help with the algae a bit.

Anything else I should do to help with algae other than water change and add some more clean up crew?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180522/2acf6da96ffc71ce22d802323f9881e8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180522/389fbd6c9624451a9406b9e7ab343847.jpg

DKoKoMan
05-22-2018, 03:27 AM
I’m dealing with some cyano right now as well due to an imbalance I’m guessing. New sand and a couple pieces of new LR.

Llorgon
05-23-2018, 08:23 PM
I’m dealing with some cyano right now as well due to an imbalance I’m guessing. New sand and a couple pieces of new LR.

What do you do to get rid of the cyno?

The cyno came in on 2 frags I got. I guess dipping them in revive doesn't kill it. :(

What do people do for storing fresh saltwater for water changes. I live in an apartment so space is limited. I currently have 2 5 gallon buckets. Was wondering if anyone had better ideas for a easier way of doing water changes.

Frogger
05-23-2018, 09:07 PM
Cyno is a bacteria, revive (non-selective) kills/stresses only some members of the animal kingdom. Only a bactericide (non selective) kills bacteria (chemicals are only a last resort). All tanks have cyno, it usually only rears its ugly head when things are not right.

Young tanks have a tendency to go through algae, diatom, cyno and often dyno outbreaks. Unfortunately strong lighting in a young tank on bare rocks compounds the problem. The best answer for the problem is patience, don't rush it, good maintenance practices, water movement and reduce lighting if possible.

Most algae can be controlled by putting your tank inhabitants to work, or only adding tank inhabitants that will work for you. Everything needs to have a job.
For the most part good bacteria control bad bacteria. Look at ways of increasing the biodiversity of your tank and encouraging the good bacteria/algae to grow.

Llorgon
05-25-2018, 09:57 PM
Cyno is a bacteria, revive (non-selective) kills/stresses only some members of the animal kingdom. Only a bactericide (non selective) kills bacteria (chemicals are only a last resort). All tanks have cyno, it usually only rears its ugly head when things are not right.

Young tanks have a tendency to go through algae, diatom, cyno and often dyno outbreaks. Unfortunately strong lighting in a young tank on bare rocks compounds the problem. The best answer for the problem is patience, don't rush it, good maintenance practices, water movement and reduce lighting if possible.

Most algae can be controlled by putting your tank inhabitants to work, or only adding tank inhabitants that will work for you. Everything needs to have a job.
For the most part good bacteria control bad bacteria. Look at ways of increasing the biodiversity of your tank and encouraging the good bacteria/algae to grow.

It's hard not to rush sometimes. I know everyone says go slow, but it's difficult to do.

I didn't know cyno was a bacteria. Makes sense the revive didn't have any effect on it then.

My tank is pretty new and going through an algae bloom. I have been slowly adding more clean up crew each week. I'm up to 5 trochus snails and 2 cerith snails. I wil probably go pick up an astrea snail or two and maybe a few hermit crabs. Any recommendations on some must have clean up crew members?

I did order some Copepods and Rotifers from copepods canada. Hopefully that will help in adding a bit of biodiversity to the tank. Have any recommendations on other must have critters to help with the biodiversity.

I do have a refugium area in the sump and I could add some cheato to that if I can find some. That should help a bit with the algae as well I think. I should make better use of that area since I only have some live rock rubble and sand in it.

Also the corals I got from you, frogger are doing well... I think. The pocillopora seems to really enjoy my tank and the frogspawn is open all the time. Still waiting for the other acroporas to start to colour up.

Frogger
05-25-2018, 10:30 PM
A bristle tooth tang would be a perfect addition to the tank. Not sure your tank is mature enough to keep chaeto alive and actively growing. Try to find a clean source of different coraline algaes.

J@L sells Tiger Pods. If you can find someone with a perfectly clean tank with no bad things in it add a piece of live rock from that tank. Not sure where you are going to find that.

My small tank is pretty clean although it would be a source of cyno, diatoms, hair algae and dynos even though they are currently not visible I have had them in the past few years so they are only actively waiting for poor conditions to return to encourage their growth.

Not a big fan of hermit crabs. Water changes, water movement and a good skimmer is about all you can do. Check your source of fresh water as well, change filters add a DI Filter if you do not already have one.

Llorgon
05-25-2018, 10:53 PM
A bristle tooth tang would be a perfect addition to the tank. Not sure your tank is mature enough to keep chaeto alive and actively growing. Try to find a clean source of different coraline algaes.

J@L sells Tiger Pods. If you can find someone with a perfectly clean tank with no bad things in it add a piece of live rock from that tank. Not sure where you are going to find that.

My small tank is pretty clean although it would be a source of cyno, diatoms, hair algae and dynos even though they are currently not visible I have had them in the past few years so they are only actively waiting for poor conditions to return to encourage their growth.

Not a big fan of hermit crabs. Water changes, water movement and a good skimmer is about all you can do. Check your source of fresh water as well, change filters add a DI Filter if you do not already have one.

You need a mature tank for cheato? I thought you just needed some light! If I need a mature tank I will hold off for awhile then.

Bristle tooth tang, good idea. The wife has been bugging me about when will there be fish in the tank. Might wait another week after adding the pods though so they don't get eaten right away.

I will grab some tiger pods when I go to j&l this weekend. Then I can have a couple different kinds of pods.

Could I always grab a piece of liverock from j&l or is that just asking for unwanted pests?

Why not a fan of hermit crabs? Because they will kill snails for their shells?

I have a brand new ro/di unit. New filters and everything.

Frogger
05-25-2018, 11:20 PM
I have found that you need a stable mature tank to grow macro algae well. Its the unwanted varieties that tend to grow when things are not right. If it doesn't grow it will only die and release nutrients back into your tank, counter productive.

I wouldn't buy live rock from one of J&L's tanks they have aiptaisa and other nasties. I wouldn't buy Chaeto from J&L's or anyone but a clean tank and then it should be quarantined.

Correct me if I am wrong J&L's real reef live rock doesn't have pods only good bacteria. I added some to my new frag tank 5 months ago to seed my tank with beneficial bacteria. I still haven't added a major light source to that tank as I am letting it mature before firing it up (also because I haven't had time to complete the setup)

I have found Hermits are sh#t disturbers at the best of times. Other reefers love them.

I have some pods (Canada Copepods growing out, feed my pipefish with them) if you want some to add to your tank, come by bring over a small container and you can have some.

Llorgon
05-27-2018, 04:17 PM
So yesterday bought some tiger pods and a couple astrea snails. Wife also bought a nice kole Tang.

The real shitty thing is at some point in the night one of my power heads blew. Woke up to a weird smell in the apartment and when I opened the lid to the tank the one power head was smoking a bit and smelt like burning plastic...

So everything in the tank is dead. Fish all the snails all the pods... Hopefully coral makes it.

Llorgon
05-27-2018, 04:34 PM
What are some good power head options?

The one that went was a hydor koralia.

DKoKoMan
05-27-2018, 04:39 PM
So yesterday bought some tiger pods and a couple astrea snails. Wife also bought a nice kole Tang.

The real shitty thing is at some point in the night one of my power heads blew. Woke up to a weird smell in the apartment and when I opened the lid to the tank the one power head was smoking a bit and smelt like burning plastic...

So everything in the tank is dead. Fish all the snails all the pods... Hopefully coral makes it.

Ahh WTF!!? :neutral: What kind of powerhead was it?

Llorgon
05-27-2018, 04:43 PM
Hydor koralia power head. It had been giving me trouble the last little while, making weird noises and stuff. But I cleaned it and all had been good the last 2 weeks.

Now the apartment and the tank has a nice almost cigarette smell to it...

Wife is ****ed the $60 fish she bought yesterday is dead.

DKoKoMan
05-27-2018, 05:33 PM
Brutal! Sorry to hear. I would probably do some large WC to make sure if any chemicals are in the water.

Dash
05-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Jeez. So sorry to hear.... I have a wonky Jebao powerhead in my tank still and now I'm thinking I should fast-track getting a replacement.

Hey, if you're interested, you're welcome to some of my chaeto. Mine has grown to a basketball size and has a healthy copepod population. Also some mushrooms/live rock rubble.

Llorgon
05-27-2018, 06:24 PM
Jeez. So sorry to hear.... I have a wonky Jebao powerhead in my tank still and now I'm thinking I should fast-track getting a replacement.

Hey, if you're interested, you're welcome to some of my chaeto. Mine has grown to a basketball size and has a healthy copepod population. Also some mushrooms/live rock rubble.Ya it sucks. I think I have to completely restart. So I will take you up on the chaeto offer at a later time.

I would for sure replace it. I should have replaced mine when it started acting up...

Llorgon
05-27-2018, 06:25 PM
So I took apart the power head and this is what I found.

Looks like it melted. There was a bunch of black plastic pieces all over the tank.

My worry now is, do I have to replace the sand?

Is there chemicals in my tank that I won't be able to remove with water changes?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180527/4d43c3541da87f141394312531447a9c.jpg

Llorgon
05-27-2018, 08:48 PM
Did a 100% water change and added a bunch of activated carbon. Still smells like chemicals though.

Not sure if I will have the budget if I have to buy new sand and new live rock.

Myka
05-27-2018, 09:42 PM
Wow I've never seen a single powerhead take out a tank like that! Yikes! Sorry to hear. Hopefully some things will pull through.

Llorgon
05-27-2018, 10:02 PM
All the snails, pods and the kole Tang I picked up yesterday died.

The frogspawn and hammer coral look ok, but not super happy in my low flow weak light 10 gallon. The acropora I have have all lost their colour. Not sure if it will come back or not.

Going to try and find someone who can take my coral for a bit. I am pretty sure the tank will have to recycle and I don't think they will survive my 10 gallon.

DKoKoMan
05-28-2018, 04:09 AM
I don’t think you would have to change the sand bed. The big WC and GAC should help out. You may just be smelling residual burnt plastic as that’s nasty stuff when it melts.

Llorgon
05-28-2018, 04:17 AM
I hope you're right and I don't have to replace anything.

So far looks like some corals will be ok. But the acropora and orange eye chalice aren't looking good at all.

DKoKoMan
05-28-2018, 05:01 AM
Unfortunately your Acro probably won’t survive the water parameter swings. If your lucky you may get STN and not RTN. I’m hoping they are dealing with stress and swing back.

Llorgon
05-29-2018, 07:45 PM
Bit of an update.

I have for sure lost my largest acro frag. It has gone bone white. The other acro frags aren't looking great, but 2 still have a bit of colour. Although, the one that had coloured up and was doing the best has lost all its polyps. Just empty holes, but still has a bit of colour.

The frogspawn and hammer coral aren't looking great either. The frogspawn hasn't opened yet while the hammer coral is barely opening.

The orange eye chalice is still green, but there are no longer any orange eyes..

The acan looks surprisingly unaffected. So hoping it will survive.

The apartment no longer smells, but when I open the lid to the tank I can still smell the melting plastic smell.

Still unsure if I will have to go through the cycle again. I will test the water on wednesday.

Trying to look on the bright side, at least this happened now and not when my tank was fully stocked. And I no longer have any cyno....

Anyone have good recommendations on a new power head?

DKoKoMan
05-29-2018, 11:20 PM
Anyone have good recommendations on a new power head?

Well hopefully you are able to keep a couple corals alive after this disaster. You may have a cycle or you may have a small ammonia spike. It’s hard to tell until you start testing your parameters.

As far as some decent powerheads I have used the gyres and the Rossmont movers and really liked both. The movers are priced well for what to get and were very reliable.

Llorgon
05-30-2018, 08:08 PM
Well hopefully you are able to keep a couple corals alive after this disaster. You may have a cycle or you may have a small ammonia spike. It’s hard to tell until you start testing your parameters.

As far as some decent powerheads I have used the gyres and the Rossmont movers and really liked both. The movers are priced well for what to get and were very reliable.

The hammer and frogspawn are looking a bit better, but still not great. No change to the chalice and acan.

The acros are slowly getting worse :( I don't think I will be able to save them.

The tank is having a massive diatom bloom. Really bad on the side where the powerhead died.

For the gyres powerheads which brand would you recommend? Seems like there are a few brands for them at varying prices.

Also picking up a skimmer today. So that should help with any future algae problems.

DKoKoMan
05-30-2018, 11:05 PM
You could try fragging the Acro above the recession. I have owned both maxspect and glamorca for gyres. The glamorca is great for the price but depending on your flow requirements you may need the larger maxspect. The glamorca comes in a regular or a Nano.

Llorgon
05-31-2018, 04:26 AM
I will give fragging the acro a try although it's a pretty small frag to begin with.

I think I could get away with the glamorca gyre. It's flow rate is higher than the hydor koralia I had. I'm going to look into them more.

Tested my water
Ammonia - 0.50
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0

Looks like I'm going to have to cycle again. :(

DKoKoMan
05-31-2018, 06:25 PM
I will give fragging the acro a try although it's a pretty small frag to begin with.

I think I could get away with the glamorca gyre. It's flow rate is higher than the hydor koralia I had. I'm going to look into them more.

Tested my water
Ammonia - 0.50
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0

Looks like I'm going to have to cycle again. :(

I think it’s worth a try with be Acro. The gyre should give you a nice flow!
Hopefully it’s just a mini cycle and not a fill one.

Llorgon
05-31-2018, 09:50 PM
I fragged the one acro last night. Will have to see how it's doing when I get home today.

I'm hoping it will just be a mini cycle, but I have a really bad feeling it will be a complete cycle. Anything I can do to speed it up a bit? Find a small piece of live rock from another member that is pest free?

I picked up a protein skimmer last night from another member. Should I set that up now or wait until the cycle has finished again?

I have been looking at the glamorca gyres. The reviews on them don't seem that great. I'm a little hesitant to spend $200 on another power head that might break soon. On the other hand, I don't have the budget right now for $300+ on a power head.

Llorgon
06-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Update:

There is life!!!! I have one cerith snail that survived! I'm not sure how, but it did and is traveling all over the tank and glass! I never knew snails could be so hardy!

Corals aren't doing as well. All acroporas except 1 looking like empty whit skeletons. The other corals are still alive, but not thriving.

Still waiting for the ammonia to come down before I add the corals back to the tank.

DKoKoMan
06-04-2018, 09:59 PM
Blah. Hopefully by much longer and everything works it’s way back to normal. All you can do is move forward now.

Llorgon
06-11-2018, 02:06 AM
So ammonia has gone away. Seems like the cycle is nearing completion.

I found a second snail that survived! I know have one cerith and one trochus snail that survived!

I did another big water change today and moved all the coral back to the 75 gallon. It looks like I have 2 acropora that still have a bit of colour on them. Hoping they can pull through. Is there any chance that the ones that have bleached out will come back or are they dead?

Anything I can do to increase the chances of survival for the 2 remaining that aren't completely white?

I still need to get a replacement power head. I just had to buy new tires for my truck which ate up a big chunk of my fun money. So looks like I will go with another hydor koralia for now until I can save up for something better.

Took a few pics of the acros.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180611/9c2d7992f7c5f44455f916e6441918ee.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180611/128940707c04cd575d72091c67f84c7e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180611/3e51fd4f144aa3a0c93f3c56137a6e20.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180611/c23ca4ea06e4b22ea662ebcb331d986a.jpg

DKoKoMan
06-11-2018, 02:19 AM
If the stony coral is completely bleached (flesh is gone) then that frag is toast. The only way I have been successful with STN/RTN is to frag the healthy fleshy parts.

Dash
06-11-2018, 02:29 AM
Yay to no ammonia! Maybe it’s time to put in a little canary fish? My little Springer’s damsel is a great little guy.

Let me know when you’re ready for some chaeto or some starter frags to test things out.

Llorgon
06-11-2018, 04:00 AM
If the stony coral is completely bleached (flesh is gone) then that frag is toast. The only way I have been successful with STN/RTN is to frag the healthy fleshy parts.Ok. The flesh is gone so they won't be coming back then. The other 2 still have some flesh on them. Doesn't look like enough to frag though.Yay to no ammonia! Maybe it’s time to put in a little canary fish? My little Springer’s damsel is a great little guy.

Let me know when you’re ready for some chaeto or some starter frags to test things out.I think I will hold off on fish for a little while longer.

What sort of starter frags do you have?

Dash
06-11-2018, 04:38 AM
I’ve got a few things that are pretty bullet-proof: Forest Fire digi, GSP, Armour of God zoas. You’re welcome to try them out in your tank. If they don’t grow in there, nothing will:lol:

DKoKoMan
06-11-2018, 08:53 PM
If it’s too small to frag just leave it and it will be a toss up to see if the frags peel completely or stop. If they stop over time they may heal up slowly.

Llorgon
06-12-2018, 04:34 AM
I’ve got a few things that are pretty bullet-proof: Forest Fire digi, GSP, Armour of God zoas. You’re welcome to try them out in your tank. If they don’t grow in there, nothing will:lol:

I will take you up on the forest fire and zoas in a couple weeks. Need to get a new powerhead first.

Llorgon
06-12-2018, 04:35 AM
Ok. I will keep an eye on them. Hopefully they pull through. One has a couple spots that are bleached and the other is one side.

Frogger
06-12-2018, 06:39 AM
I had 2 coral colonies (garf bonsai, pink birdsnest) that I thought I had killed (bleached) a year ago because of a phosphate/nitrate/alkalinity issue. Low and behold, I cut away the skeletons and there was nothing left or at least I thought. About 8 months later the bonsai started growing back (2" long now multiple stems) and I noticed the birdsnest growing back about a month ago. It is a little over an inch long now multiple stems.

You just never know.

I have about another half dozen or so I killed in that same episode that I am still holding my breath for.

Llorgon
06-15-2018, 03:35 PM
I had 2 coral colonies (garf bonsai, pink birdsnest) that I thought I had killed (bleached) a year ago because of a phosphate/nitrate/alkalinity issue. Low and behold, I cut away the skeletons and there was nothing left or at least I thought. About 8 months later the bonsai started growing back (2" long now multiple stems) and I noticed the birdsnest growing back about a month ago. It is a little over an inch long now multiple stems.

You just never know.

I have about another half dozen or so I killed in that same episode that I am still holding my breath for.

I've left them in the tank so we will see if any of them come back.

The pocilapora is now showing some bleaching in spots. I moved it to another spot with higher flow so hopefully it will like that.

I have been having some issues with my frogspawn not opening up. Any idea what that could be?

Frogger
06-16-2018, 02:12 AM
I have lots of pieces of pocillopora. I will give you another one once your tank has stabilized.

Llorgon
06-16-2018, 06:46 PM
I have lots of pieces of pocillopora. I will give you another one once your tank has stabilized.Thanks, but I'm going to save it!.... Hopefully.

I moved it to a spot closer to the one remaining powerhead so it gets more flow. Hopefully that helps it.

Dash
06-16-2018, 10:55 PM
What powerhead are you considering? I have Jebaos right now, but true to their reputation, they’re starting to have issues after 6months. I’m likely going to get Tunzes as they have good reviews but are more affordable

Llorgon
06-18-2018, 06:31 PM
What powerhead are you considering? I have Jebaos right now, but true to their reputation, they’re starting to have issues after 6months. I’m likely going to get Tunzes as they have good reviews but are more affordable

Thinking I might just get another hydor koralia and then save up for something a little more expensive later on.

DKoKoMan
06-18-2018, 06:43 PM
Thinking I might just get another hydor koralia and then save up for something a little more expensive later on.

Your brave! I would never put the same PH back in my tank after what happened to you.

Llorgon
06-19-2018, 08:22 PM
You know, I thought about that, but I had that power head for 4 years and I got it used from the guy I bought my old freshwater tank off of. So I think I should be ok for a few months while I save up for something better. Maybe I will ask for a fancy power head for my birthday in august.

DKoKoMan
06-19-2018, 09:32 PM
You don’t necessarily need fancy...I had Rossmont movers and absolutely loved them. Sure they didn’t have fancy wifi or ramp up etc. But they moved water well and were reliable.

Llorgon
06-19-2018, 10:01 PM
I haven't looked into those ones yet. Right now I am looking for something under $150.

DKoKoMan
06-19-2018, 10:13 PM
If I recall they were around $100. Tunze is reliable as well. I have mp40’s In my current tank but your paying for the name and exterior motor.

Llorgon
06-19-2018, 10:33 PM
The mp40's are nice. I would like one or two of those, but the price is a little more than I want to spend on powerheads at the moment.

I have been looking into the tunze powerheads as well. Also looking into innovative marine wavelink powerheads. They seem to have decent reviews and at $140 not a bad price either.

DKoKoMan
06-20-2018, 12:18 AM
Give it a whirl! All you need to do is move water :smile:

Llorgon
06-24-2018, 12:06 AM
So picked up a innovative Marine waveli k powerhead. Seems to work pretty well. The wave setting moves quite a bit of water.

I finally got my electronics cabinet finished. Started moving everything out from underneath the tank.

Unfortunately my return pump stopped working. Unplugged it moved all the wires and controller to the cabinet, plugged it in and nothing. Took it out to clean it and still nothing. The propeller turns freely so nothing is blocked, but I can't hear the pump making any noise.

I'm having some trouble with my hammer coral. It doesn't seem to be opening up. Any ideas on what would cause that? My orange eye chalice also isn't looking too good. Any ideas on how to get them back on track?

The pocillapora has stopped bleaching. The bleaching hasn't gone away, but it's not getting any worse. So at least something is looking up!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/1d871258048d1cbe770cc045392e37dd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/219cb0f3fcc0507f2b36bde3cf27190a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/6cd08edb356da9e391814af3ef5b0499.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180624/ec0fb31b0fb5df4fb0d95101da3c693a.jpg

gregzz4
06-24-2018, 01:46 AM
Concerning your hammer; it's still looking OK even if it's not very big right now.
After that powerhead failure, I'd be inclined to run more carbon and change it every few days for 2 or 3 more batches. Make sure you rinse it very well before adding it to your tank.
About your pump, do you have anyone close to you with a multimeter?
I'd suggest you test the power supply for proper output.

Good luck

DKoKoMan
06-24-2018, 05:39 AM
I would suggest WC’s to get everything settled back to your ideal parameters.

Llorgon
06-26-2018, 08:25 PM
I would suggest WC’s to get everything settled back to your ideal parameters.

I have been doing weekly water changes. So everything should be good parameter wise... I think

Concerning your hammer; it's still looking OK even if it's not very big right now.
After that powerhead failure, I'd be inclined to run more carbon and change it every few days for 2 or 3 more batches. Make sure you rinse it very well before adding it to your tank.
About your pump, do you have anyone close to you with a multimeter?
I'd suggest you test the power supply for proper output.

Good luck

Good to know about the hammer. I moved it to a place with less flow and it seems to be opening up a bit more now.
I do run carbon and have been switching it out every week.
Unfortunately I don't know anyone near me with a multimeter. I can borrow one from my dad this weekend though. I might do that and see what is going on with it. I did order a new one. I figure even if I get this one working again it's good to have a backup.

Llorgon
07-04-2018, 03:17 AM
Been awhile, have been on vacation the last few days. I did get my new return pump before going away though. Turns out it was the controller that had gone. Plugged new controller into the old pump and everything is working fine.

Good news 2 of the smallest acro frags are getting some colour back!

Unfortunately my acan isn't looking very good and same with my hammer coral.

The frogspawn is doing well though.

Any idea what I should do about the hammer coral and acan?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180704/784d8b37a65ea45f1f0dffb8334ac3c9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180704/d4bb2a1a166ace6ab7bbe3ac47ed7143.jpg

Llorgon
07-18-2018, 05:23 AM
Back from vacation! Tank has done well. Got a few new corals before I left from Dash. They are all doing well so far.

My hammer coral looks to have died though.

Some updated pics.

Looking into getting a wavemaker. Anyone have any good recommendations for one?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180718/cd7afd4ea3aafb772b2a114262a851c7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180718/436844a2482c7b68c42fc616856ecd4f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180718/a92942af0f2d53c9dc78606f25f8bd4c.jpg

Dash
07-18-2018, 10:37 PM
Glad the frags are doing well. No fishie friends?

Llorgon
07-19-2018, 03:00 AM
Glad the frags are doing well. No fishie friends?

No Fish yet. Going to be gone for a week and a half at the beginning of aug so figured I would wait until after then for fish.

Llorgon
07-20-2018, 06:02 AM
I swear this hobby hates me. The other hydor koralia power head has stopped working.... Didn't kill everything so that's good.

I took it out and put it in some vinegar. Hopefully a good cleaning will get it back working again.

Llorgon
07-23-2018, 10:32 PM
The hydor koralia is dead. Cleaned it out, put it back together... And nothing. Silence. Did give me a bit of a shock when I went to move it..

I have lined up a couple of jaebo wavemakers from a fellow members so that should replace the missing powerhead.

All the corals still seem to be doing ok with the single powerhead. The innovative Marine powerhead is pretty good so far especially for the price.

I did get around to setting up my skimmer, never had a skimmer before so excited to see what the difference it will make in the tank. How long should I run it fully open for? Some things I read say days others say weeks to a month.

Plan is to add fish after my last long vacation in August. For the time being I will look to add some pods and stuff like that to up the biodiversity of the tank.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180723/ec024be1b7ed91062ca3294a35aaaea2.jpg

gregzz4
07-23-2018, 11:21 PM
Are you using a GFCI? And if you are, are you using a ground probe? I gather you are not using either. You would not get a shock if you were.
If you use both, next time a powerhead fails it will shut off. Do not use a ground probe without a GFCI. Doing so will send stray current through you!!
I wonder if stray electrical current in your water has been an issue.
Hopefully things get better for you now that you have removed the second bad powerhead.
Run the skimmer wide open for a few days, after you first clean it with vinegar, then slowly try to tune it. It will probably not do very much right now as you do not have fish poop.
Unless you are going to source some mysids or copepods, do not waste your money on pods.
Tigger pods are only a quick snack in our tanks.

Llorgon
07-23-2018, 11:32 PM
Are you using a GFCI? And if you are, are you using a ground probe? I gather you are not using either. You would not get a shock if you were.
If you use both, next time a powerhead fails it will shut off. Do not use a ground probe without a GFCI. Doing so will send stray current through you!!
I wonder if stray electrical current in your water has been an issue.
Hopefully things get better for you now that you have removed the second bad powerhead.
Run the skimmer wide open for a few days, after you first clean it with vinegar, then slowly try to tune it. It will probably not do very much right now as you do not have fish poop.
Unless you are going to source some mysids or copepods, do not waste your money on pods.
Tigger pods are only a quick snack in our tanks.

It didn't shock me in the tank. I had cleaned it and put it back together and just plugged it into a kitchen socket as it was sitting in the sink full of water to see if it would start up again. I don't think it was doing that in the tank. If it was I think my 2 remaining snails would have been dead?

Good to know about the pods. I will just slowly add some more corals and cuc until I get some fish.

Ok. I wasn't sure if it was a few days or a few weeks. I could probably go a few weeks until I have some fish..

gregzz4
07-23-2018, 11:43 PM
If you don't have a GFCI, it won't trip if something leaks current into the tank.
If you don't have a ground probe, it won't affect the inhabitants as the current has nowhere to go, unless you ground it with your body.

In either case, look into protecting yourself with at the minimum of a GFCI for the whole tank.
I run 13 of them because I want each piece of hardware covered individually without tripping the whole tank.
And I have a ground probe in both my skimmer and return chambers.

Later. BBQ and Beers

Llorgon
07-24-2018, 09:13 PM
If you don't have a GFCI, it won't trip if something leaks current into the tank.
If you don't have a ground probe, it won't affect the inhabitants as the current has nowhere to go, unless you ground it with your body.

In either case, look into protecting yourself with at the minimum of a GFCI for the whole tank.
I run 13 of them because I want each piece of hardware covered individually without tripping the whole tank.
And I have a ground probe in both my skimmer and return chambers.

Later. BBQ and Beers

I should definitely grab a grounding probe at least. Installing the GFCI might be more difficult since I would have to move the tank in order to get to the outlet.

It does look like they have GFCI power bars. Probably easier for me to get one of those. At least that way I have some protection.

gregzz4
07-24-2018, 10:05 PM
I should definitely grab a grounding probe at least.
Nu uh. I wrote 'not' to use a grounding probe without a GFCI!!!
Breakers are only meant to trip when they get hot.
A GFCI senses an imbalance between line and neutral and only then does it trip. This will protect you if you stick your hand in the water.
Only having a ground probe will cause any stray/induced current to flow because you're giving it a path. Now when you stick your hand in the water you'll get zapped.

Either use just a GFCI, a GFCI and a ground probe, or forget I said anything and use neither.

Llorgon
07-27-2018, 09:27 PM
I picked up a GFCI powerbar and got that setup. That should give me some protection at least for now.

gregzz4
08-01-2018, 01:57 AM
I picked up a GFCI powerbar and got that setup. That should give me some protection at least for now.
OK
Now your dilemma is this;
Everything that's plugged into it is protected, or rather you are protected from them.
But now, if 1 of those items decides to poop the bed, all of them will shut off when that power bar trips.
So be aware of this.

It's good you have protected yourself though. A powerhead may not hurt you, but a heater would do serious damage or even stop your heart.

Llorgon
08-01-2018, 04:34 PM
OK
Now your dilemma is this;
Everything that's plugged into it is protected, or rather you are protected from them.
But now, if 1 of those items decides to poop the bed, all of them will shut off when that power bar trips.
So be aware of this.

It's good you have protected yourself though. A powerhead may not hurt you, but a heater would do serious damage or even stop your heart.

Actually I was thinking about this while plugging stuff in. I didn't plug the return pump or powerhead into the GFCI just in case. But I should figure out a way to have everything protected separately.

Llorgon
08-20-2018, 11:50 PM
Ok much needed update. Tank has been going well lately. No issues during my vacation all corals are surviving, but I don't think they are growing.

My orange eye mummy chalice coral has lost it's orange eyes. Not sure what to do with it. It's still green, but the orange eyes have lost their colour.

My pink birdsnest seems to be fading in colour. Any ideas on how to get the colours to brighten up?

I picked up some corals from Marshalls crazy corals on the weekend. Good experience, James was nice and they had way more stuff than what you see on the website. I picked up a fuzzy mushroom, hammer coral, candy cane, brain coral and a big green sps frag I can't remember the name of.

On the weekend I also picked up a couple of clown fish. So yay tank has fish now!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180820/dd84a45c1a4d1deace4d62d99c1bcad1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180820/e2a9ee1eabd795e5f467889b2662be71.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180820/29ab63aff164ce8df5c231d5547e2476.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180820/dec8072fbe97919462649b095a745261.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180820/008e49ea6def83c61aab732566cbf38c.jpg

Llorgon
08-26-2018, 10:48 PM
So the one new space coral I got, the big green one is getting white tips.

I bought a alkalinity test kit today and my alkalinity is at 6.4. I think it needs to be at 7-8?

What is the best way to raise the alkalinity?

Llorgon
10-22-2018, 09:52 PM
Ok long needed update on the tank.

My water params had been way off and I was starting to see a negative effect on the corals. I think alk was down to 6 and calcium in the mid 300's and magnesium around 1100. With the help of Gregzz4, I have got my water params mostly under control. Still trying to nail down the dosing. My mag is stable and calcium is mostly stable I have been keeping it above 400, but alk is still a little tricky to find the perfect dosing. Seems like about 2 caps of brightwell is pretty good at keeping alk at 8.3.

I had another powerhead die on me. Not as catastrophic as the first one, but still annoying. It just stopped running. Taking apart and cleaning it solved nothing so I picked up a pair of jebao wave makers from another reefer. They work well, but are quite powerful. I now have 2 wavemakers and a powerhead. Anyone have suggestions on the best placement of these? I feel I still have lots of dead spots...

Also had my neptune ATK auto top off unit die. Did all of neptunes diagnostics, got sent replacement parts and nothing was fixed. Ended up sending them my entire unit and just got it back today. In total I have been out of a ATO for a little over a month. Turns out the issue was the high and low water sensors were labeled incorrectly and the sensors weren't pushed in far enough. This sounded a bit weird to me since it had been working fine for 6 months then stopped, but I have been told it works fine now. Overall neptunes support was very good. Most of the issues I had were with FedEx.

On the tank stocking side of things I have 2 clown fish, 1 royal gramma and 1 purple firefish. All the fish have been doing well. I did buy a flame angel, but I was never able to get it to eat and it eventually disappeared.

Corals, corals have been doing ok. Some have grown a bit, but most seem to just stay the same. Frogspawn, candy cane and hammer coral haven't grown at all. What can I do to encourage more growth?

Lately I have been struggling with algae in the tank. Taking over the sand, rocks even some on my SPS coral. I added some chaeto and a light to my fuge and lowered the amount and frequency that I feed the tank in hopes that will help. Also did a water change since I hadn't done one for awhile while sorting out my water params.

Anyone have good tips on keeping algae at bay? This seems to be something I really struggle with.

Overall the tank feels... well, not stable. Some days corals will look good other days for a few days at a time the candy cane, frogspawn and hammer coral will be closed up looking unhappy. Not sure what to do about that.

gregzz4
10-23-2018, 01:54 AM
Give up on the liquid Alk additive.
If you follow the info I gave you and bake some baking soda, thus creating sodium carbonate/soda ash, you'll find it very easy to dose daily and maintain your desired alk level.
Use the spreadsheet I gave you on that usb. The chemicals page tells you how to weigh and bake the baking soda, and the chemistry page you'll use to calculate how much to dose.

Buy a couple kilos of arm and hammer man.
Just do it ! :biggrin:

Llorgon
10-23-2018, 03:53 AM
Give up on the liquid Alk additive.
If you follow the info I gave you and bake some baking soda, thus creating sodium carbonate/soda ash, you'll find it very easy to dose daily and maintain your desired alk level.
Use the spreadsheet I gave you on that usb. The chemicals page tells you how to weigh and bake the baking soda, and the chemistry page you'll use to calculate how much to dose.

Buy a couple kilos of arm and hammer man.
Just do it ! :biggrin:I am going to buy some this weekend. I just wanted to finish the bottle.

What do people use for containers for additives? My wife is getting annoyed with me using old salt buckets.

Dash
10-23-2018, 04:35 AM
I’m glad I went with the BRS starter package. Easy to mix and the gallon jugs for storing the additives are very handy. Hassle free, so it made it easy to get into the routine of dosing. I wonder if JL sell similar jugs & dispensers?

DKoKoMan
10-23-2018, 04:40 AM
You can usually find 1 gallon jugs at Walmart etc. You can usually find different shapes that may work better with for your specific needs. I currently use the Rubbermaid 1 gallon clear containers.

Llorgon
11-02-2018, 03:14 AM
I ended up getting some cereal containers at Walmart. Works great so far!

As for the tank, it's doing ok. I am battling some algae. Hoping someone here can help me figure out what's causing it. Below is a picture of what I am dealing with.

My params are
Temp: 80
Salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.3
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphates: 0
Alkalinity: 8.2
Calcium: 440
Magnesium: 1410

I have a protein skimmer running, chaeto in the sump with a light that comes on opposite to the display tank lights, feed once a day 1/4 cube of mysis or some pellets.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181102/59576b666708e853e83fd70f5cc93aa8.jpg

Llorgon
11-08-2018, 05:54 PM
Been battling dinos recently. Just finished a 3 day blackout, but a bit of a dent in the dinos, but not much.

Corals are pretty unhappy. My big sps has gone from green to white, plating montipora is losing tissue, tyree toadstoll and forest fire digi have zero polyp extension...

Checked my parameters nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Frustration and discouragement is currently high...

Frogger
11-08-2018, 10:01 PM
That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

This is one of the things that makes keeping reef tanks aka sps tanks to be considered very difficult. Stick with it, it takes time, patience and proper tank maintenance to beat this one.

Llorgon
11-08-2018, 10:18 PM
That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

This is one of the things that makes keeping reef tanks aka sps tanks to be considered very difficult. Stick with it, it takes time, patience and proper tank maintenance to beat this one.

I know you are right, but right now it's very frustrating.

It kind of looks like the tank may be crashing. None of the corals are looking good, some are bleached and have lost tissue. All are closed up, no polyp extension. Fish still look ok.

Where am I going wrong on my maintenance?

My parameters as of last night seem to all be in the normal range. I know my nitrate and phosphate should be a bit higher. Extra feeding hasn't helped yet. As of last night my params were:

Temp: 79
Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0
Alkalinity: 8.4
Calcium: 430
Magnesium: 1410

Right now my maintenance is: Dosing alk everyday, dosing cal every other day, testing alk and cal every other day, feeding twice a day(morning, night), blowing off rocks with turkey baster each night, weekly 10 gal water change.

Where am I going wrong?

Frogger
11-09-2018, 05:02 AM
Unfortunately it is not working. From what I have read water changes and trying to attain a clean tank doesn't work for dinos.

Water changes and blowing off the rocks having low phosphates and low nitrates appears to be not working for you.

Adding more fish, as you have seen is a problem in itself. You need to quarantine for at least a month assuming everything goes well. I have been trying to add more fish for over 6 months to my tank unsuccessfully can't get them past the quarantine stage/ type of fish I want not available when I want it.

Over feeding can help dirty up your water, stop blowing off the rocks if you are not exporting the dinos as you are just moving them around and spreading them.

Like I said before what worked for me is a micron filter helps remove smaller suspended particles and a UV sterilizer on a low flow rate to kill any dinos after I have blown off the rocks.

INNOVATIVE MARINE AUQASHIELD UV STERILIZER (9 WATT) is around 60 bucks.

I have some KNO3 and Potassium Phosphate you can have for free if you wants some. You know where I live.

You need to have measurable amounts of phosphate and nitrate.

Scythanith
11-09-2018, 12:46 PM
I've only just come into this at the tail end but it seems to me like your tank is still fairly new. You need a small amount of nitrates (~5ppm) and phosphates (~0.5ppm) as you and Frogger mentioned. Does the tank get any natural sunlight throughout the day? Is the water you're using for water changes RO/DI? Have you tested TDS on the water you're using for SW changes?

Llorgon
11-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Unfortunately it is not working. From what I have read water changes and trying to attain a clean tank doesn't work for dinos.

Water changes and blowing off the rocks having low phosphates and low nitrates appears to be not working for you.

Adding more fish, as you have seen is a problem in itself. You need to quarantine for at least a month assuming everything goes well. I have been trying to add more fish for over 6 months to my tank unsuccessfully can't get them past the quarantine stage/ type of fish I want not available when I want it.

Over feeding can help dirty up your water, stop blowing off the rocks if you are not exporting the dinos as you are just moving them around and spreading them.

Like I said before what worked for me is a micron filter helps remove smaller suspended particles and a UV sterilizer on a low flow rate to kill any dinos after I have blown off the rocks.

INNOVATIVE MARINE AUQASHIELD UV STERILIZER (9 WATT) is around 60 bucks.

I have some KNO3 and Potassium Phosphate you can have for free if you wants some. You know where I live.

You need to have measurable amounts of phosphate and nitrate.

It's difficult because depending on what you read some say yes do lots of water changes other say stop. For right now I have stopped the water changes in an attempt to raise my nitrate and phosphates.

I have a filter sock that I change everyday an hour or so after blowing off the rocks and stirring the top layer of sand.

I might take you up on the free KNO3 and Potassium Phosphate. Do you use the seachem stuff for planted tanks?

I've only just come into this at the tail end but it seems to me like your tank is still fairly new. You need a small amount of nitrates (~5ppm) and phosphates (~0.5ppm) as you and Frogger mentioned. Does the tank get any natural sunlight throughout the day? Is the water you're using for water changes RO/DI? Have you tested TDS on the water you're using for SW changes?

Tank doesn't get any sunlight or if it does very little and not direct. Water I am using is RO/DI, filter are about 6 months old. I have not tested TDS. I guess I should pick up a TDS meter and see what it says.

Frogger
11-09-2018, 09:24 PM
No the stuff i have is from a online fresh water fish guy in Richmond. I had to sign my life away to get it.

Filter socks don't filter down to a fine enough particle size to effectively capture all the microscopic dinoflagellates and their spores. Most filter socks are either 100 or 200 micron in size and are designed to remove larger particles.

The Magnum micron cartridge is 8 microns and dinoflagelletes are between 25 and 50 microns in size. It uses pump pressure to force the water through it, versus gravity.

Llorgon
11-09-2018, 10:29 PM
No the stuff i have is from a online fresh water fish guy in Richmond. I had to sign my life away to get it.

Filter socks don't filter down to a fine enough particle size to effectively capture all the microscopic dinoflagellates and their spores. Most filter socks are either 100 or 200 micron in size and are designed to remove larger particles.

The Magnum micron cartridge is 8 microns and dinoflagelletes are between 25 and 50 microns in size. It uses pump pressure to force the water through it, versus gravity.

Sounds like some serious stuff. Don't have the name of the guy or anything?

So are you saying get a magnum canister filter and use that to help remove the dinos?

Frogger
11-10-2018, 12:56 AM
There is no right answer, it what ever works for you. I used the magnum micron filter combined with the uv sterilizer and that did the trick for me. Our tanks are different, mine was set up for 15 years before I had the dino bloom. About 3 years ago first I had Bryopsis (for years), treated that, then immediately followed by Cyano followed immediately by dinos. Dinos was the worst by far. So I had a ton of things happening in my tank. I don't want you to go out and spend a ton of money and then not have it work for you.

I had to change the micron filter daily when I first started, now I change it once a week. Rinse it off, dump it in bleach (for a day), rinse well and use again. I have several spare filters. I still use it. Now this is on a tank that I did not have a filter sock. This is why I still use it.

chooch
11-10-2018, 06:40 AM
Canadian Aquatics. I think his name is Patrick. He carries potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate. He'll need a photocopy of your driver's license and you have to declare what you are using the potassium nitrate for. Required by law because it's a controlled substance.

My tanks is just over a year old so I'm pretty new at this. I was out of town for a week this summer and came back to a small dino outbreak. I think it was triggerred by the warm weather as I had the ac turned up while we were away. I dimmed down the white leds and got the temperature lower/stable as we had the ac set back to normal. It actually just went away on it's own in about 3 weeks. This just happenned by chance cause I didn't have time to deal with it actively. BUT cyano came in shortly after the dino was gone. I syphoned it out once and it came right back. I've always had high nitrates and phosphates in the past but I hadn't tested for it for a while. I never made much effort to reduce nitrates and phosphates as I never had any issues with the tank.
Decided to test, 0 nitrate and .5 phosphate on api testers. After some reading, I started dosing nitrates to maintain 10ppm. Syphoned the cyano again and only about 10% came back this time. Syphoned the remaining patches and what ever I missed just went away on it's own. There's still a little on my chaeto in my refugium but none in the display.

Sorry, got a little off topic with the cyano. I've noticed nuisance algae really likes white light so maybe it was a combination of cutting the white light and the lower stable temperature that took care of the dino. I don't know for certain. Maybe the chaeto is out competing everything now that there's plenty of nitrates.

Fyi, I don't run a skimmer, don't do scheduled/routine water changes, never clean my refugium and don't run any mechanical filtration.... because I am lazy and stubborn. All I have is chaeto, a little bit of rubble and half a large marine pure block in the refugium.

Frogger
11-10-2018, 10:33 PM
Patrick that's the guys name. I have more of this stuff then I need come on by and I measure you up enough for a couple litres of each mixture.

Llorgon
05-12-2019, 01:14 AM
Thought I would revive this thread.

In October my nitrates and phosphates hit zero and I developed dinoflagellates. I ended up with a couple different types. The ones growing on the rocks was taken care of by UV sterilizer, but the dinos in the sand weren't effected by it.

To combat the dinos I kept my nitrates and phosphates high to get other algae to out compete it.

The results have been crazy amounts of gha!

Today I took a few of the rocks out and scrubbed them to remove the gha. Lost a bunch of pods and brittle stars. Even a couple of really big ones. But I got most of the gha off the rocks.

Some before and after shots.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190512/70a48582717e5cfc5c173ac8620229d3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190512/c3084281055fba89978bb4330541a94b.jpg

gregzz4
05-12-2019, 01:24 AM
I went through something similar back in 2012 when I started my tank with mostly dry rock. Although mine wasn't nearly as bad as your's, I was able to clean it all out in the tank.
I had a canister filter available so installed it on the front of the tank and scrubbed everything with a nylon nail brush. I used a turkey baster to flush the rocks during this process until nothing came off the rocks.
Worked very well for me and pretty much removed all the algae.

Llorgon
05-13-2019, 09:12 PM
I went through something similar back in 2012 when I started my tank with mostly dry rock. Although mine wasn't nearly as bad as your's, I was able to clean it all out in the tank.
I had a canister filter available so installed it on the front of the tank and scrubbed everything with a nylon nail brush. I used a turkey baster to flush the rocks during this process until nothing came off the rocks.
Worked very well for me and pretty much removed all the algae.

I might have to look for a canister filter. I have been scrubbing the rocks and using the python hose to suck out all the algae. It's been working ok so far.

Frogger
05-14-2019, 05:24 AM
Another option for siphoning out the algae is to hook up a large 7" filter sock to your sump and siphon directly into the sock. This way you can siphon for an hour or more and not have to worry about replacing the water you have removed.

When I had a bad algae problem that is what I did and it was so easy to completely clean all the rocks, the gravel and the glass a couple times a week. Eventually you can win this battle. Your water is fine you just have to get the algae under control.

Llorgon
05-15-2019, 06:55 PM
Another option for siphoning out the algae is to hook up a large 7" filter sock to your sump and siphon directly into the sock. This way you can siphon for an hour or more and not have to worry about replacing the water you have removed.

When I had a bad algae problem that is what I did and it was so easy to completely clean all the rocks, the gravel and the glass a couple times a week. Eventually you can win this battle. Your water is fine you just have to get the algae under control.

That's a good idea. I have a few filter socks that would work. I will give that a try before the long weekend.

Frogger
05-15-2019, 11:29 PM
That's a good idea. I have a few filter socks that would work. I will give that a try before the long weekend.
Make sure to fasten the siphon hose and filter sock securely to the sump. The first time I didn't and the moving around the tank I was at the back side and the siphon hose jumped out of the sump and about a gallon of water was on the hardwood floor before I could say "Bobs Your Uncle".

I now tape it securely down with all purpose duct tape. Great stuff that duct tape.