PDA

View Full Version : DC Return Pump Suggestions

byee
02-19-2018, 07:27 AM
I'm looking at replacing my Eheim 3000 pump with a DC pump.....something around a 1000gph.

I did consider the Ecotech Vectra S1 until I found it there's no option to connect to my Apex.

The only requirement is something which is reliable. It would be nice if I can connect it to my Apex as well but its a nice to have.

Any suggestions?

marks69
02-19-2018, 01:02 PM
dcp 4000 works for my 90g. silent has feed mode. cheap and seem to be available most places.

tang daddy
02-21-2018, 04:07 PM
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/varios-4-controllable-dc-pump-1050-gph-reef-octopus.html

Have you seen the Varios 4?

It’s capable of being controlled by a 3rd party controller like an apex.
However if I bought something like this I would mount the controller that it came with and used that instead, why spend more money on a adapter just to control the controller.

They have quite a few options for this pump too like high limit sensor, and all the other stuff.

Personally for me I like the reliability of a stand alone pump. The slow ramp up and controllability of flow is cool however when would you lower the return flow of your tank. Mine is mostly full on/off, when it comes to feeding I shut my return via Apex and that’s it, simple no need for anything fancy. I just find with more options on a controller more can go wrong, if you purchase a return pump make sure it’s reliable and good quality so the power supply doesn’t melt or burn out or some other failure with the controls. I found most of the decent return pumps out there range from $300 and up. I am quite happy with my Laguna I picked up for $160.

Ritteri
03-15-2018, 01:31 AM
I have a Varios 4, an 8 and a Vectra M1.

Only running the Varios 4 at the moment. I highly recommend it. It offers great value and very user friendly.

That being said, my M1 is for sale.

Btw, I think it's better to upsize your pump, these Varios pumps start at 30% power and go up to 100% I would assume that the vectra m1 has a wider controllable range.

Best of luck.

Tyfighter
03-15-2018, 03:01 AM
I'm with Tang Daddy on this one; keep it simple.

Wheelman and I just put 2 smaller pumps instead of one large one on his system. I think this is a great idea for redundancy. Plus if you want to lower your flow just turn one of them off.

byee
03-15-2018, 04:34 AM
Do you have the VarioS 4 as well?

Is this the one at Reefsupplies.ca?

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Reef-Octopus-VarioS-4-Controllable-Circulation-Pump.html