PDA

View Full Version : Natural Damsel removal

RobbAdams
12-09-2004, 03:13 PM
OK, perhaps should be titled "Natural Selection Method for Damsel removal" So far it is working like a charm, 2 down 1 to go.

http://ethangordonphoto.com/collection/000861.jpg

danny zubot
12-09-2004, 03:20 PM
I can't believe your eel hasn't eaten your coral banded shrimp yet, I thought it would have been easy prey. How big is your eel and what else do you have in your tank? I want to get one but I'm not sure if a pair of clowns and a copper band butterfly will be good tank mates.

Delphinus
12-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Dumb question but what kind of eel is it? Snowflake? or other.

Dale D
12-09-2004, 08:05 PM
Looks like Gymnothorax undulatus (Undulated moray). I know from personal experience that they are fond of fingers. :mrgreen:

Coldwater
12-10-2004, 04:17 AM
I love them they are great pets! I was also bitten by mine too but this was on the arm while I was cleaning the tank. After that my dad made me sell it :sad: .

Matt

Majestic_Aquariums
12-10-2004, 04:41 AM
If the eel doesn't get em, let me know-my 6 yr old son seems good with a net and some scissors! (seemed natural to him... :mad:
)

RobbAdams
12-10-2004, 03:11 PM
It is actually a fimbriated (Spelling) eel, the photo is one borrowed from the web, mine is about 8 inches long at this time. He has no interest in any of the inverts, but is a master damsel Catcher. I belive these guys get up to about 30" , in captivity probably more like 24". He is super fun to watch when you can see him. From what I have researched there are 2 basic types of eels, invert eating varities, that have rounder crushing type teeth, and the other type are fish catchers that have Back swept needle like teeth. The strength of such a little creature is quite amazing, when I feed him, WITH TONGS CAUTION, he is very strong

Danny

I dont think the Clows would fare too well with this guy, the CBB would probably be ok if he wasn't too small. I dont think they will go for anything that is too large. He has not made a move towards my Coral beauty yet, but I have seen him make repeated strikes towards the damsels.

vanreefer
12-13-2004, 01:09 AM
Can I borrow that for an hour.
Ipromise to feed it at least one F%*#ing YTD :evil:
AKA FOLKER :evil: :evil:

Dano