PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified worm? Good or bad?

Wade
12-09-2004, 05:48 AM
I picked up some new coral at a dealer in Vancouver, a day later I found this worm in my tank crawling in live rock. It is about 6 inches long and a little thiner than a pencile. Can anyone identify it? Is it harmful to my reef tank?

[/img]http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1424[img]

I hope the picture is going to show up :redface:

mr_alberta
12-09-2004, 05:55 AM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1414wormpost2.jpg

Looks like a normal bristle worm. Nothing to worry about.

Wade
12-09-2004, 06:46 AM
:biggrin:

Thanks for the help getting my pic up

Glad to hear its nothing to worry about

StirCrazy
12-09-2004, 12:48 PM
looks like a Bristle worm, not a problem in my opinion.

Steve

bulletsworld
12-13-2004, 12:38 AM
I have a big one of these guys in my tank... Wondering has anyone ever had a preoblem with it munching on corals? I am thinking mine is munching on zoo's.. Hmm... Anyone had any problems with there brittle worms?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-13-2004, 01:57 AM
If it's a big one, 6" or more, try to catch it & get it out of there. I've watched one attack one of my female seahorses (KIA) :evil: I caught that sucker & made it pay but it was too late for the pony. I've also seen the big ones chow down on unattached mushrooms or damaged corals. Small ones are harmless & help keep your tank clean of uneated foods. Big suckers need to be disposed of. (just my experience)

StirCrazy
12-13-2004, 02:36 AM
just for another side, I have several big ones 12"+ and they have never eaten anything that wasn't already dead or dieing. so i never take them out. If I could find one that was a confirmed Zoo/mushroom eater I would probably pay money for it :mrgreen:

Steve

bulletsworld
12-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Well the brittle worm I have is easily 15" & thats in a 77gal so I see him sticking out at all times, day or night. It just seems to be my zoo's slowly go missing right when the Brittle worm is in that area. Just have to catch him doing it now but my suspicion cap is on, so look out! :lol: