PDA

View Full Version : Book

Jaws
12-09-2004, 03:07 AM
I know this question has probably been asked one hundred times but it's close to Christmas and I need ideas now. What in everyone's opinion is the best book for successfully keeping a larger sps tank? I have a 90G tank full of fish and corals that I'll be transfering into a 180G in the next few months. I almost have all the equipment I need but would like a guide with instruction and tips to help me maintain it as good as possible.

StirCrazy
12-09-2004, 03:11 AM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=lit-tra1

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=lit-tra2

and

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=lit-bmass

None of which I have so you can get me any for christmas :mrgreen:

Steve

Zerandise
12-09-2004, 03:12 PM
I got Baensch Marine Atlas 1, 2 and 3 some time ago. I was ratger ****ed to see that it is miising a HUGE amount of SW fish. Namely trigger, angels, butterfly, puffers and many others. its really only covers blenny, goby, wrasse and a couple other small groups. the invert sections and ananomy sections are great (1/3 of book one and all of book 2 and 3) They also have a great sponge/nudi section. Its really only the fish departsment that is lacking.

I have a few other books as well I will post the names of them when i get home from work.

StirCrazy
12-09-2004, 11:52 PM
it is miising a HUGE amount of SW fish. Namely trigger, angels, butterfly, puffers .

Hmm none of which are concidered reef friendly..

Steve

Zerandise
12-10-2004, 01:40 AM
"none" is a pretty big word :)

rockworm
12-10-2004, 01:41 AM
Another excellent coral book book is:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=lit-acors

This is available in both hard and soft cover and covers the husbandry as well as descriptions of many corals.

Rikko
12-10-2004, 02:31 AM
Bump for Borneman's book. It's a great coral primer. I hear "The Book of Coral Propagation Volume I" by Anthony Calfo is a great read, too. I haven't picked that one up yet but plan to.
Also, Reef Invertebrates by Calfo and Fenner has a great chunk (about the first 1/3 of it) on more scientific aspects of the tank and modern methodologies. Even if you're not that into inverts I found it really helpful.
I was talking to Jeff at JL a while back and he said the Baensch atlas is fairly good, but the information has gotten somewhat dated. He didn't seem a big fan and after flipping through them at work I kind of see where he's coming from. They're a great quick reference and give a good rundown for species, but not that pleasant to actually sit down and read.

StirCrazy
12-10-2004, 04:50 AM
Bump for Borneman's book. It's a great coral primer. I hear "The Book of Coral Propagation Volume I" by Anthony Calfo is a great read, too. I haven't picked that one up yet but plan to..

Ok and I thought we were talking about general reef books.

all of Julian sprungs books are excellent as well as the ones mentioned above for topic specific books.

Steve

Ken
12-10-2004, 05:30 AM
Hi, I have a good library of books and magazines. Each and everyone of them is a favorite. Good authors, quality pictures, good informations, good easy layman's term. not too technical makes good books. So many recommendation, but what? Ultimate Marine Aquariums saltwater dream systems and how they are created by Michael Paletta. This book is great! Features big aquariums down to small aquarium, how they were designed and setup. Good well known hobbyist such as Larry Jackson, Terry Siegel, LeRoy & Sally Jo Headlee, Greg Schiemer, Richard Harker, Sanjay Joshi and our very own Jamie Cross plus many many more. This book you cannot pass up. So everyone whats your favorite book? Regards Ken

Jaws
12-10-2004, 05:43 AM
Ultimate Marine Aquariums saltwater dream systems and how they are created by Michael Paletta

I like the sounds of that one. Anyone else read this?

Where's the best place to find it?

Rikko
12-11-2004, 04:40 AM
Both JL and King Ed carry it. It's terrible as a reference book, but an absolute gem as an idea book. If you're ever looking for inspiration, completely new concepts, or trying to troubleshoot something in your setup, grab it for sure. While you won't see "Yellow Watchman Goby - keep at pH X, salinity X, may exhibit aggression towards conspecifics and spawning can be induced by doing blah blah blah...", you can get a feel for how to successfully keep the species by seeing what the tank parameters are and the photos.
There may be a separate section for discussion (I've only looked at it in stores, never actually brought it home and read it cover to cover), but it's essentially photos of many excellent reef tanks around the world with a detailed list of the equipment and procedures involved with it.