PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish STILL not eating... please help

jess128
12-09-2004, 02:13 AM
I got 2 percula clownfish last friday and it is now thursday and they're still not eating. They seem really happy and healthy, I think they must be eating some pods or whatever else there is in the tank that they can nibble at. I have the flake food that they were being fed at the LFS. Yesterday I tried some frozen food with tweezers. They seemed interested in it and checked it out, but then just kind of blew the food away instead of sucking it in! I'm not too worried about them, they're full of energy, but it would be nice if they'd eat something. Any ideas?

Jess

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-09-2004, 02:40 AM
Mine love frozen foods like mysis (Hikari - smaller sz), brine, & bloodworms. I just defrost it & use a turkey baster to squirt in a little at a time.

Good luck.

Bob I
12-09-2004, 02:58 AM
I would not worry about them. I have never seen clownfish that did not eat. :biggrin:

mr_alberta
12-09-2004, 03:41 AM
Try soaking your food in garlic juice. Apparently, BANANA works as well. Try the garlic first though. It is a supposed appetite stimulant (hey, it works on me :mrgreen: ) and can boost their immune system.

G1GY
12-09-2004, 03:46 AM
I've got one right now that will only eat cyclopeez(sp). He's fairly new to the tank and that's all he wants to eat. :smile:

Don't worry too much though, most clownfish turn into little pigs!

Coldwater
12-09-2004, 04:18 AM
When I bought one of my clown fish it wouldn't eat. After about a week it decided that starving wasn't as cool as it sounded and started eating.

Matt

EmilyB
12-09-2004, 04:52 AM
It's too big. Crush everything up tiny.

It always helps to have a fish in the tank that is eating to show reluctant eaters the way, but this isn't always possible unfortunately. :frown:

Bob I
12-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Speaking of tiny; My clowns go nuts over freeze dried Cyclop-eeze. It is really tiny, but they go ape over it. :biggrin:

jess128
12-09-2004, 10:20 PM
I tried the brine shrimp again today. Maybe the pieces are too big for them. This morning they put the food in their mouth, then spit it out, then tried again, and spit it out, and eventually just ignored it. I will try some cyclop-eeze and see if that works. Thanks for your help.

rodsboys
12-09-2004, 10:58 PM
You can always buy a damsel to show them how it is done.lol :evil:

G1GY
12-09-2004, 11:10 PM
If they don't eat the Cyclop-eeze, I'll be amazed! :smile:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-10-2004, 06:03 AM
The other thing most fish will go nuts for is freshly chopped up clams.

MCC
12-10-2004, 06:13 AM
dude...give it some time...
i had problems wif my pair clowns befroe when i first got them

keep on feedin eventually it will eat....problaby stressed out over the transfer..or other tankmates...

if not..try garlic..they will be attracted to tat...

best of luck...

IslandReefer
12-10-2004, 09:33 AM
My 2 cents: my 5 clowns go NUTS for:
-freeze-dried or frozen cyclopese (nice fine bits, not too big)
- frozen mysis....whole or chopped....my 2in male Perc fights off the yellow tang for mysis...eats like a kid at Willy Wonkas.
Good luck...don't worry to much they are natural pigfaces..I bet they eat soon
:cool:

jess128
12-13-2004, 12:55 AM
I got the cyclop-eeze yesterday (dry kind.) The clowns are eating it! So I'm very pleased about that. The guy at the LFS told me cyclop-eeze is only supposed to be fed along with a more staple food. Whatever though, I'm sure they'll start eating the flakes some time. Thanks for all your help!

Jess