PDA

View Full Version : Bug ID

chooch
01-24-2018, 10:49 PM
Hey everyone,

Can anyone help id these bugs in my sump. Haven't seen any in my display yet but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. There's tons of them in my sump.

They are too small to take a photo of but the photo is more for size reference. They are the black specs. They look kind of red/brownish. They move as quick as the pods, I've seen one follow a pod around, but they are constantly on the move, as in I haven't seen any of them stop moving.

Thanks

https://i.imgur.com/7lmTGzX.jpg

gregzz4
01-24-2018, 11:16 PM
Have you tried looking on the web for pics of Isopods?

chooch
01-24-2018, 11:56 PM
Honestly... they are too small to see what they actually look like.

Just hoping someone might have an idea.

Thanks

Myka
01-25-2018, 12:32 PM
They are generally just called "copepods". They are beneficial scavengers, and are crustaceans. Do you want more of an ID than that?

chooch
01-25-2018, 05:07 PM
I'm new to the hobby and just being paranoid. I've been able to ID everything else thus far so I just wanted to make sure they weren't pests.

I'm not sure I picked the right hobby to de-stress with lol. So rewarding yet so frustrating/stressful at the same time.

Thanks

gregzz4
01-25-2018, 11:53 PM
Could also be harmless flatworms ... I think I see a forked tail on one (maybe)

Myka
01-26-2018, 11:55 AM
I'm new to the hobby and just being paranoid. I've been able to ID everything else thus far so I just wanted to make sure they weren't pests.

I'm not sure I picked the right hobby to de-stress with lol. So rewarding yet so frustrating/stressful at the same time.

Thanks

I think you're doing it wrong then. :D

DKoKoMan
01-26-2018, 03:41 PM

Thanks

For the first bit it can be a bit overwhelming. You are tryIng to recreate the ocean in a glass box. I find it peaceful and mesmerizing when you actually watch the tank.

chooch
01-26-2018, 07:45 PM
Could also be harmless flatworms ... I think I see a forked tail on one (maybe)

I definitely have some of those clear flatworms but these black specks move too fast to be them. Maybe i'll try to get a video, but it'll just literally be a bunch of tiny black specks moving around.

I think you're doing it wrong then. :D

lol, this is my first crack at saltwater and the learning curve is more than I anticipated.

For the first bit it can be a bit overwhelming. You are tryIng to recreate the ocean in a glass box. I find it peaceful and mesmerizing when you actually watch the tank.

Tell me about it. Every time I see something new pop up, I panic a little lol.

When I hear my kids ask my wife where I am, I can hear her respond,"he's probably staring at the fish tank". Peaceful and mesmerizing it is.