PDA

View Full Version : How do you acclimate coral?

604reefer
01-24-2018, 07:34 PM
Curious to see what successful reefers are doing to acclimate their coral? Do you follow any different procedures for LPS/SPS? Shipped vs. picked up? Initial placement? Change lighting?

I have read the preventative dip coral thread sticky, but more interested in whether you temp acclimate, drip acclimate, etc.

Right now my process is (regardless of shipped and picked up - same):

1. float temp acclimate in bag
2. dip in 1-1.5L made up of 1/2 bag water and 1/2 tank water with CoralRx
3. slam dunk into it's new home!

So far I have not lost a coral this way, but I'm wondering if I can ease the introduction into the tank for faster growth/coloring

WarDog
01-24-2018, 07:46 PM
My method is similar to yours, except I've added 2 steps.

A) Remove frag plug and throw in garbage, regardless of how much that lovely coral is encrusted. Fresh cuts only.

2) Peroxide dip before CoralRx. 1 cap of 3% peroxide to 1 cup water. Soak for 1 to 2 mins while turkey basting.

Frogger
01-24-2018, 10:14 PM
I have become a little more paranoid after a real close encounter with AEFW from a quality source. I also now have an infestation of Monti Nudibranch, and coral bothering copepods (seems to only bother my shades of fall).

Up to a few months ago I did fresh cuts only and coral RX and sometimes peroxide. This wasn't enough as the AEFW almost got past those. The nudibranch and copepods did get past those.

I have chosen to follow the Jason Fox level of protection. I have added Bayer to my list of dips, I now quarantine everything for 4 weeks minimum in a separate tank and inspect closely under a dissecting microscope and a blue light. Fresh cuts only always, it is difficult to do this with Zoas and encrusting corals. Assume everything you buy from everyone has something you don't want into your tank.

Most reefers do not even know when they have red bugs or AEFW until they start killing corals. It might take a year or more to get to this level of infestation.

I either throw out or return anything that is not clean.

Frogger
01-24-2018, 10:22 PM
So far I have not lost a coral this way, but I'm wondering if I can ease the introduction into the tank for faster growth/coloring

There is no short cut to a quick recovery, the dips you use, the change in the corals environment will all take its toll. With some corals the recovery time could be a year or more. Some will die. I have found the best way for a faster recovery is having deep pockets and purchasing a larger cutting of what ever you want. Cuttings smaller than 1" seem to take forever to recover.

gregzz4
01-24-2018, 11:46 PM
Cuttings smaller than 1" seem to take forever to recover.
I agree with this. I try to sell larger cuts, even if I give more than I get. And I no longer buy 'nib' sized frags.
Besides recovery, smaller cuts seem to be much more prone to a quick death.

Jason, I'm very hard on corals. I temp acclimate for at least 20 mins with the bag open (in sump).
Then I go through a couple hours of water acclimation - drip or eye dropper - all while floating.
Next is a dip in CoralRX, or Revive, and sometimes even 1 followed by the other. And all the while being blasted with a powerhead and a turkey baster.
Finally, they get a rinse in fresh tank water, followed by an inspection with a magnifying glass.
If all looks good, and the dip water has nothing visible under a glass, they are glued to the LR.

I have some hardy corals in my DT as I've killed enough dipping to know what to stay away from ...

I have some in my tank right now that have encrusted and are fuzzy, but are still not sprouting after 1-1/2 years. Others from the same time have grown to the size of my fist and larger since.