PDA

View Full Version : Calcium tester recommendation?

Slayer33
01-18-2018, 04:09 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a better calcium test kit to replace my Hagen NutraFin one.. I find that it doesn't work for me, unless me calcium in my tank is over 900ppm lol.

A was going to get a Hanna one but I heard the calcium tester they have is hard to get a good result due to the requirements to test.

kyl
01-18-2018, 04:54 PM
The Hanna checker with the mechanical pipette (newer version) is accurate. The bad feedback about it was before they included the new pipette and had people trying to eyeball the dilution correctly.

CHEAPREEF
01-18-2018, 11:12 PM
Most accurate you will find is the Rea Seam after that the Aquaforest would be my choice. I switched over to Aquaforest for Alk, Calcium and Mag. Easy to use accurate and there fairly cheap for the amount of tests you get out of the kits.

DKoKoMan
01-18-2018, 11:34 PM
Salifert is a good option and most places sell it. I also use Red Sea test kits once in a while to compare against salifert / Hanna Checkers. All have been very close to each other for accuracy.

gregzz4
01-19-2018, 11:34 PM
I use dry bulk Cal Chl and find Salifert to be accurate enough for my needs.
And I like how simple the test is.

DKoKoMan
01-20-2018, 04:41 AM
I use dry bulk Cal Chl and find Salifert to be accurate enough for my needs.
And I like how simple the test is.

I agree! KISS :smile:

Frogger
01-20-2018, 05:01 AM
I use the Salifert test kit. Works good enough for me.
I have found that I really do not need to test for Calcium. As long as I have a good Alkalinity test kit and I maintain stable alkalinity the calcium level manages itself.

I use two part, but even if you use a calcium reactor or Kalkwasser the balance of Ca to alkalinity (carbonate) is a constant. Your organisms within your tank only use calcium and carbonate in this balance. Ideally you do not want to screw with this balance or get out of balance.