PDA

View Full Version : Tank brands and set ups?

SharkBait48
01-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Looking to build a 150-200 reef.

What do you guys think is the best way to go for a tank this size?

Custom build?
If so where?

Or are there companies out there that have set ups similar to Red Sea?

Thanks!

chizerbunoi
01-16-2018, 02:45 PM
Check out Waterbox Aquariums. They are very similar to Red Sea. Also got a nice contest going on right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SharkBait48
01-16-2018, 08:46 PM
They look reputable.

Do they make 150-200 gals?

Have you had any experience with them?

spit.fire
01-16-2018, 08:54 PM
Concept aquariums
I’ve never been disappointed with their tanks or service

fire&sputum
01-16-2018, 09:14 PM
Honestly just get a Red Sea Reefer XXL.
Concepts is now closed for 2-3 months.
They make great aquariums but Red Sea with its cabinetry looks more like furniture than most custom aquariums.
I have gone down custom built route several times. (one horrible experience with Bow V)
Having everything engineered to work together is way superior IMO.
If you do go the Red Sea route you will need to build a screen top as well as a real auto top off tank for 3rd cabinet. The one that comes stock is a joke.
Concepts made my ATO and did a great job.
Also factor in buying 10+ filter socks right away as you will get 3 days max per pair before having to wash them.
Ikea makes a great side cabinet for dosers, chemicals,food, etc.. that I would recommend. Sits next to the Red Sea

fire&sputum
01-16-2018, 09:22 PM
I should mention that any type of useful refugium is next to impossible with a Red Sea Reefer. There is no room to make it work- believe me I tried. There are several internet workarounds but they are pitiful. The Reefer is a Berlin style setup only. Lots of room for large skimmer or reactors in sump- no room for refugium. If a fuge is in your plans then go custom.

chizerbunoi
01-16-2018, 11:43 PM
They look reputable.

Do they make 150-200 gals?

Have you had any experience with them?

Unfortunately, no. They only go up to 135 gallons. Sorry. I thought if you are looking at the Red Sea max line then why not this as well.

I have a concept custom tank and really like it.

CHEAPREEF
01-17-2018, 01:07 AM
Concept aquariums
I’ve never been disappointed with their tanks or service

^^^^ This, had a Rea Sea Reefer. There nice but man they are pricey as they get and plumbing is not a standard fit if you break anthing, very thin walled so would be easy to do.

SharkBait48
01-17-2018, 02:27 AM
That’s great to know about their red seas.

Thanks for all the great responses guys!

As for custom I’ve only heard of the concept brand but am worried about a tank being made and then it has issues.

My main thing is I want a very clean looking professional tank that is big enough for a couple tangs.

spit.fire
01-17-2018, 02:29 AM
That’s great to know about their red seas.

Thanks for all the great responses guys!

As for custom I’ve only heard of the concept brand but am worried about a tank being made and then it has issues.

My main thing is I want a very clean looking professional tank that is big enough for a couple tangs.
You don’t have to worry about having issues with a concept tank, also if you want a fancy stand for the “Red Sea max look” go to 19 islands in Edmonton

albert_dao
01-19-2018, 01:19 AM
You strictly interested in the "modern white" look and feel of the RS? Or are you interested in fancier stuff like modern hardwood + flat frames?

Here's an example of what I'm trying to describe:

In Zebrawood

http://www.rantlister.com/i/2017/12/custom_bathroom_cabinets_zebra_wood_table_wood_kit chen_cabinets_semi_custom_cabinets_kitchen_cabinet _makers_kitchen_cabinet_sets_-970x647.jpg

Walnut

https://spectraair.com/234/2017/10/09/attractive-modern-walnut-kitchen-cabinets-cabinet-contemporary-modern-furniture-contemporary-modern-kitchen-l-32b2a2420c017c2a.jpg

Pauduk (an.... Oak, I think?)

https://images.custommade.com/OitUtXfx0f3VmqoOfzAza_0T184=/custommade-photosets/79521/79521.212905.jpg

etc, etc.

Just asking because there are options which, if it calls for, are an easier fit into a household/office setting.

SharkBait48
01-19-2018, 01:44 AM
Honestly, if it is feesable I would love to see what options I have with those cabinets.

I am finding it difficult to start with a tank build because of this.

Does anyone have a number for the concept company? I sent an email and haven’t gotten a reply. That being said I would like to go with a company that will be around for the forseable future, sounds like concept is on the way out?

albert_dao
01-19-2018, 03:12 AM
Well I don't do any tanks, but feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to talk cabinets. I build and install them for 19 Islands in Edmonton.

AquaAddict
01-19-2018, 04:40 AM
Hi,

I have a 2 year old 150 gallon 72x22x22 Concepts Tank that is Eurobraced and black trimmed with 2 dead silent Jackson overflows (one at either end). I paid approx $1,000.00 not including shipping. I would sell it for $550.00. For sale separately, I also have 75 gallon refugium beneath the tank and a 40 gallon sump in the basement and power heads and return pumps, etc. But, no stand as tank is custom built on our front split level landing.

AquaAddict

SharkBait48
01-19-2018, 04:46 AM
Hi,

I have a 2 year old 150 gallon 72x22x22 Concepts Tank that is Eurobraced and black trimmed with 2 dead silent Jackson overflows (one at either end). I paid approx $1,000.00 not including shipping. I would sell it for $550.00. For sale separately, I also have 75 gallon refugium beneath the tank and a 40 gallon sump in the basement and power heads and return pumps, etc. But, no stand as tank is custom built on our front split level landing.

AquaAddict

Messaged you, but I do see you are in van city.

gregzz4
01-20-2018, 01:47 AM
OP - you have choices for a tank your size. There is a DD available from I think Marineland through J&L. Many here have used them.
Concept makes great tanks based on feedback.
A-I-O tanks are costly and from ones I've seen aren't worth the costs if you are handy.

Not part of the OPs post, but it came up ...

Poor Dave @ Concept. Too much hearsay going around. Don't you think he has enough to deal with, without trying to put out fires from 'bad internet info'?
Give the guy a chance to change his business plan while he is trying to keep the business running, will ya peeps? I've never bought a tank from him, but I dealt with him personally back in their hardware days and can tell you the service was top-notch.
Enough with the 'I think they are doing this' or 'I heard they are doing that'

If you haven't heard it from the Horse's mouth ... well, zip it :twised: