PDA

View Full Version : Help! Gluing Pipe to Reactor Body

straightrazorguy
01-14-2018, 12:00 AM
I have a Vertex RX-C 6D calcium reactor. Today, while cleaning it, the bottom pipe attaching the pump to the reactor body came apart. The pipe isvred (PVC, I think) and the reactor body is clear acrylic, I think. What do I use to glue the two together? I don't want the tank to be without reactor for too long...

Craigdillman
01-14-2018, 12:23 AM
You should be able to glue it i hope someone chimes in but i broke the little tube on my skimmer to empty it and someone recommended this acrylic "weld" stuff worked wonders kind of melted the plastic together I can't remember the name of it now tho

The Codfather
01-14-2018, 01:25 AM
Weld on 40 would be the best

CHEAPREEF
01-14-2018, 01:39 AM
PVC to Acrylic I've always used Weldon 16.

straightrazorguy
01-14-2018, 02:46 AM
OK, where does one get Weld-on 40 on Saturday night? Or Sunday morning?

WarDog
01-14-2018, 03:36 AM
Home De Pot

straightrazorguy
01-14-2018, 03:44 AM
I just searched the HD site; they don't show it.

straightrazorguy
01-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Well, I got my information; thank you Canreef!

BCOrchidGuy
01-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Any Plastics shop should carry the line of Weld on glues. I like Industrial Paint and Plastic but my favorite place is Coast Fiber-Tek Products on Boundry Road. Excellent selection of off cuts too for any small projects you might have.

straightrazorguy
01-17-2018, 09:45 PM
So, I did get Weld-on 40; thanks Canreef! I got a pint kit, shich was the smallest amount I could buy. So, I still have a ton of it, if any local reefers want some...

Myka
01-18-2018, 12:59 PM
This is a common break on this brand of reactor. I did the same thing. I tried Weld On 40, and it did not bond. It seemed to work on the acrylic, but not the PVC. I threw the reactor in the closet because it scared me how easily it broke, and the fact there is only like 1/2" to bond. That isn't enough imo, and why it breaks so easily there. I was figuring to redesign it by drilling out the PVC fittings and put something else in there, but I haven't got around to that yet. :lol:

straightrazorguy
01-18-2018, 03:46 PM
Interesting; did anybody raise the issue with Vertex?

straightrazorguy
01-19-2018, 02:21 AM
I tried Weld On 40, and it did not bond. It seemed to work on the acrylic, but not the PVC. I threw the reactor in the closet because it scared me how easily it broke, and the fact there is only like 1/2" to bond. That isn't enough imo, and why it breaks so easily there. I was figuring to redesign it by drilling out the PVC fittings and put something else in there, but I haven't got around to that yet. :lol:

Well, after the whole saga of getting the Weld-on 40, I applied a generous blob of resin all around the joint, and, fingers crossed, it seems to have worked. It is not leaking. But, man, what an ordeal! Somebody ought to have a chat with Vertex...

DKoKoMan
01-19-2018, 08:27 AM
Well, after the whole saga of getting the Weld-on 40, I applied a generous blob of resin all around the joint, and, fingers crossed, it seems to have worked. It is not leaking. But, man, what an ordeal! Somebody ought to have a chat with Vertex...

Personally I would send their customer service an email about the defect. At the very least they can fix it for new models or reach out to see how many others are affected.

straightrazorguy
01-19-2018, 04:49 PM
I would, except their website has been under construction for months now. It's not easy to get in touch with them...

spit.fire
01-19-2018, 11:09 PM
Do you have any pictures of the break?

DKoKoMan
01-20-2018, 04:42 AM
I would, except their website has been under construction for months now. It's not easy to get in touch with them...

Try touching base with the staff @ J&L. They usually have direct contacts or will take your feedback and pass along. Just a thought.