PDA

View Full Version : how to ship from states?

smokinreefer
12-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Hey guys,

first off i gotta say that i'm a shipping noob.

i want to buy some reef stuff from a dude in the states, whats the best way (*read* cheapest) to have it shipped here?

TIA.

muck
12-08-2004, 04:50 PM
USPS.

mr_alberta
12-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Yes, United States Postal Service. Its also the longest though (up to 3 weeks sometimes). Also, if he could declare the items as either "used goods" or as a "gift" then you might not have to pay brokerage or duty. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

muck
12-08-2004, 05:26 PM
If you ask for 'USPS Airmail Parcel Post' (I believe that is what its called) it will be approx. 4 - 10 day delivery for not that much more $$$.
Ask your 'dude in the states' to get a quote for you or USPS has a calculator on their website.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/

Cheers! :cool:

dirtyreefer
12-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Setup a US address in Blaine or somewhere close to the border and have them ship there. Then go across and pick it up.

You save around $20CAD for every $100USD spent. So if you buy something for $500USD, you would have to pay around $100CAD duty. This way you save that additional cost.

Also, even though UPS has been getting a bad rap on RC, I find it very fast and cheap. One guy sent me a tunze steams package (10lbs) from Chicago to Sumas for $10USD and it came in 4 days.

USPS is a rip off and takes forever.

vjvl51
12-08-2004, 07:16 PM
dirtyreefer, the last time I ordered a $30 Cdn item from the US, UPS charged me over $20 brokerage fees and then I had to pay GST and COD charges on top of that. I don't agree that they are cheap - fast maybe. I have also had a parcel take a tour of the US and get to the border twice before crossing via UPS. Fortunately I wasn't in a hurry for it.

Purolator seems to be just as fast and has only charged me (so far) less than $10 in brokerage fees.

Just my experience

Vickie

dirtyreefer
12-08-2004, 09:13 PM
vjvl51

Sorry I meant FedEx, not UPS. FedEx ground. But you can't beat $10 for 4 business days, especially with such a heavy package! Please note that this was shipped for one US addy to another which may be cheaper than internationally to Canada.

USPS however, I had 2 things shipped through them to my door. One was an IC ballast declared as $50USD. The shipping cost was $15USD for it, pretty ridiculous although I received it in about a week and a half.

The other item, I received an AB bulb and the shipping was $3.50USD. This took over 3 weeks.

Tarolisol
12-08-2004, 09:17 PM
I am waiting for a shipment via USPS airmail it was a large water pump and it cost 43 dollers US to ship and its been a week and havent recieved it yet.

mr_alberta
12-08-2004, 09:30 PM
USPS usually will take 2 to 3 weeks for delivery. To cut down on delivery time, I like to look for items in states near Alberta like Montana or Washington State.

I also like the fact that the post office is down the street from my place, unlike the UPS depot which is on the other side of the city.

Bryan
12-09-2004, 02:29 AM
I have found Premium Aquatics to be very knowledgable in international shipping, and their online shipping quotation is very accurate. Their ordering process also accepts international postal codes.

hockey nut
12-09-2004, 08:49 AM
I work for a company that ships world wide. Fed Ex is the best by far and the fastest. Usps is fine if you are not in a hurry same with UPS. Ups tends to be more ( you get it when we are ready to give it to you ). Fed Ex is somewhat more reliable and a little bit more expensive BUT... ( you get what you pay for ) IMO.

USPS is the cheapest but is also the slowest. I have used all three and have had great results. All depends on who is the most reliable and how soon do you need it.

My comments are based on expierence only.

takphan
12-10-2004, 07:06 AM
IME, when shipping from US to Canada:
USPS/Canada Post has the cheapest brokerage fees ~ $5.00
FedEx ~ $10 + a % of the value (cost me $14 for a $160USD item)
UPS ~ $25 + a % of the value (cost me $33 for a $175USD item)
(and of course the usual GST/custom/duty)

for small packages such as a pump or a skimmer:
7~10 days via USPS Priority mail from Dallas,TX
4~5 days via Fedex ground from Fresno,CA
4~5 days via UPS ground from LA,CA

for oversize/bulky items, UPS is cheaper than USPS

the services that i experienced with UPS is horrible :evil:

HTH

Tarolisol
12-10-2004, 07:09 AM
Ive got a question, when USPS delivery enters canada who takes care of it from there canada PS. and how does one know where there products here.

takphan
12-10-2004, 07:20 AM
Canada Cost / Canada Custom Revenue Agency take over once it entered canada. if the package looks interesting or the shipper's name looks interesting then Custom Canada will open the package, inspect and determine the value of it to charge custom/duty/GST.

if there is a tracking number ( cost $1.00 extra) then you can tracking by USPS web site

IME, about half of my stuff have been opened and inspected when using USPS; about 1/10 when using FedEx or UPS -->less time spend in custom

Tak

smokinreefer
12-10-2004, 07:26 AM
thanks for all the info and offers to help out...
looks like the guy sold the item to someone else already.

but this info will definitely come in handy for the future.

thanks again.

al555
12-11-2004, 04:46 PM
actually the easiest and cheapest way is to ship to Point Roberts by Tswwassen.

i use The Letter Carrier http://www.thelettercarrier.com

you send your stuff there and use your name and their address and when it gets all you need to do it go pick it up and pay $2US for the service.

i ship there all the time since some people wont ship to Canada. and since its still in the states you pay standard US-to-US shipping rates.

but you do need to cross the boarder so clean up your car with anything shady!!!!!! cause i've been searched enough times to know.....

and finally print out a reciept, ebay, paypal....etc....for proof of payment.

Al.