PDA

View Full Version : 125 Gallon Display Tank / 32 Gallon Frag Tank

st0rmtr000pa
01-05-2018, 12:59 AM
So I decided to do a tank journal. I will have a display tank and frag tank side by side that will have the same sump. I am going the Triton Method as well.
Tanks:

125 Gallon 60L x 24W x 20H. 3- sided Starfire, Starfire Eurobrace, External Overflow (3 - 1" Drains, Bean Animal Design), 2- 1" Returns, Vinyl Back and Bottom.

32 Gallon Frag Tank. 30L x 24W x 10H. 3-Sided Starfire, Starfire Eurobrace, External Overflow (2 - 1" Drains, Herbie Design), 2 - 3/4" Returns, Vinyl Back and Bottom.

Stands:
125 Gallon: Custom Metal Stand - Powder Coated (black)
32 Gallon Frag: Custom Metal Stand - Powder Coated (black)

Plumbing:
125 Gallon and 32 Gallon Frag Tank:
All Sched 80 Piping and Fittings. Various Sizes.
Lighting:

125 Gallon: 2 - Radion Gen 3 Pros. I may add one more in the future.
32 Gallon Frag: 1 - Radion Gen 3

Sump:
125 Gallon and FragTank: 56 1/2L x 20W x 16H

28L x 20W x 16H Refugium, 14L x 20W x 16H Skimmer Section w/ adjustable baffle, 7L x 20W x 16H Return, 7W x 20W x 16H ATO Section.
5 - 1" Bulkhead Drains, 2 - 1" Bulkhead Returns, 4 Probe Holders, 2 - Heater Holders, 7 Dosing Line Holes.

It's a custom made acrylic sump by Elite Aquatics. It is currently under construction. I will upload a photo to give you and idea of what it looks like. It's all black with clear windows in each baffle area. It is going to be a Triton Method sump.

Return Pump:
Vectra M1 2000 GPH.

Equipment Undecided On:
Skimmer, Media Reactors, Reactor Pump, Controller (Apex or GHL?), Doser, Powerheads (Gyre or MP40's?), ATO System, Fuge Light, and what ever else I can't think of at the moment. If anyone could give me any recommendations on any equipment that would work well with this system please let me know.

WarDog
01-05-2018, 01:12 AM
Nice, following along. What kind of livestock are you aiming for?

st0rmtr000pa
01-05-2018, 01:18 AM
So today I realized that my stand is upside down! Does anyone on the forum know where to get suction cups?

Also I picked up some more plumbing parts. Man this hobby is expensive. I have a contractor discount and it still cost me an arm and a leg!

st0rmtr000pa
01-05-2018, 02:23 AM
So I guess Photobucket is a pay to see site now and some people can't see the images I have posted. So here are the photos again that are loaded to a different site.

https://i.imgur.com/tgUgYNRl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zK59b6ul.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SEJuko1l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NLiTV6zl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Bhy1pZcl.jpg

st0rmtr000pa
01-05-2018, 02:25 AM
Nice, following along. What kind of livestock are you aiming for?

I would like a full SPS tank I think. Still thinking about it at the moment. I really like Zoas too! As for fish I really like Tangs and Wrasses. I haven't figured out exactly which ones I'd like though.

Tigweldpro
01-05-2018, 02:49 AM
This is a smaller version of my dream setup!

And yes powder coated stands and what not do add up fast lol

Why are you wanting to go triton right out of the gate?

ill be following along on this.
Do you have a water fill date?

Ram3500
01-05-2018, 03:11 AM
That's one sharp setup 👍

st0rmtr000pa
01-05-2018, 04:16 AM
This is a smaller version of my dream setup!

And yes powder coated stands and what not do add up fast lol

Why are you wanting to go triton right out of the gate?

ill be following along on this.
Do you have a water fill date?

Thanks! Well I’ve been taking my time and doing things properly. I’ve had a few builds in the past to learn from.

I have always wanted A Fuge to begin with and I want to try something different. Let’s not forget about not having to do water changes!

Mattyb
01-05-2018, 04:17 AM
Looks awesome!! Welcome back toThe hobbie Eric! And I see u moved. Wicked set up! I’ll be following along with the build

DKoKoMan
01-05-2018, 08:41 AM
Looks awesome! Who did the tank build? Make sure you post some photos of the plumbing once your finished and the bean animal. :smile:

st0rmtr000pa
01-05-2018, 04:14 PM
Looks awesome!! Welcome back toThe hobbie Eric! And I see u moved. Wicked set up! I’ll be following along with the build

Thanks! I stopped for a bit because I moved into a condo and couldn’t fill my tank there. I finally moved into a place where I could start my build again. Couldn’t be happier about it lol.

Looks awesome! Who did the tank build? Make sure you post some photos of the plumbing once your finished and the bean animal. :smile:

I had Concept build it. I’ll be sure to take some photos. I’m a plumber so it should turn out nice. The sump should be here in a couple of weeks. I wish it would just get here lol.

dave_C
01-05-2018, 09:50 PM
Thanks! I stopped for a bit because I moved into a condo and couldn’t fill my tank there. I finally moved into a place where I could start my build again. Couldn’t be happier about it lol.

I had Concept build it. I’ll be sure to take some photos. I’m a plumber so it should turn out nice. The sump should be here in a couple of weeks. I wish it would just get here lol.

Don't plumb that tank!!! lol

call me I total forget about this:redface:, I want to rebuild your tank and send you new one

Thanks Dave

Mattyb
01-05-2018, 10:01 PM
U can rebuild mine too if u like if ur offering lol😜

dave_C
01-05-2018, 10:04 PM
U can rebuild mine too if u like if ur offering lol😜

but i don't reminder any issues with yours lol just the stand:redface:

Mattyb
01-05-2018, 10:07 PM
I know, just buggin ya. I love my tank. And the stand!! My next build I would do it differently though. Only problem with my tank is it won’t grow coral😞 seems like nothing will survive since I moved everything over.

st0rmtr000pa
01-06-2018, 02:27 AM
Don't plumb that tank!!! lol

call me I total forget about this:redface:, I want to rebuild your tank and send you new one

Thanks Dave

Wow really?!?! I have left my contact info in a PM. This is why I go through Concept for my builds! Top notch service and their tanks turn out awesome!

st0rmtr000pa
01-06-2018, 06:56 PM
So I just spoke to Dave at Concept and he is building me a new tank! He’s adding some new features to it which will make it even better than before. Great customer service! I’ll be selling the old tank if anyone is interested. Looks like I’ll be waiting not only for my sump but a new tank as well :biggrin:.

Frogger
01-06-2018, 11:39 PM
That was one short tank journal. Started yesterday, tank for sale today.

kyl
01-07-2018, 01:12 AM
Tis the season for tank builds. What are you going to get changed from the original build? I think everyone can live and learn when they get something custom built..

DorySaid
01-07-2018, 01:55 AM
So I just spoke to Dave at Concept and he is building me a new tank! He’s adding some new features to it which will make it even better than before. Great customer service! I’ll be selling the old tank if anyone is interested. Looks like I’ll be waiting not only for my sump but a new tank as well :biggrin:.
You're welcome

WarDog
01-07-2018, 02:02 AM
I want to rebuild your tank and send you new one

Thanks Dave

I must have missed something.... why are you getting the tank rebuilt?

st0rmtr000pa
01-07-2018, 05:35 PM
That was one short tank journal. Started yesterday, tank for sale today. The tank is being replaced with a new one.

st0rmtr000pa
01-07-2018, 05:37 PM
Tis the season for tank builds. What are you going to get changed from the original build? I think everyone can live and learn when they get something custom built..

Well for the back piece it is currently acrylic CNC'd with teeth and now he wants to do it with vinyl wedged between two pieces of glass instead of the acrylic so its easier to clean. I'll show pictures ones I have the new tank here.

st0rmtr000pa
01-07-2018, 05:39 PM
You're welcome

Who are you?

st0rmtr000pa
01-07-2018, 05:44 PM
I must have missed something.... why are you getting the tank rebuilt?

The teeth on the overflow go over too far. Its just cosmetic.

Left Side
https://i.imgur.com/oorrrsXl.jpg

Right Side
https://i.imgur.com/mjqJWSsl.jpg

kien
01-07-2018, 06:24 PM
Wow. I didn’t even get teeth on my overflow! Wonder if Dave will build me a new tank. Nevermind that my tank didn’t come from concepts..

Anyway, great deal. Farewell 125 Gallon Display Tank. We hardly knew you at all.

kyl
01-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Well for the back piece it is currently acrylic CNC'd with teeth and now he wants to do it with vinyl wedged between two pieces of glass instead of the acrylic so its easier to clean. I'll show pictures ones I have the new tank here.

I got the laminated glass option Dave wants to do on yours on my 4' shallow, it looks excellent.

st0rmtr000pa
01-07-2018, 06:50 PM
I got the laminated glass option Dave wants to do on yours on my 4' shallow, it looks excellent.

Do you have pics of what it looks like? I’m kind worried about it not turning out that great. I actually don’t mind the acrylic back but it would make it a lot easier to clean.

kyl
01-07-2018, 07:35 PM
Do you have pics of what it looks like? I’m kind worried about it not turning out that great. I actually don’t mind the acrylic back but it would make it a lot easier to clean.

This is what I have online:
https://flic.kr/p/21MUEbY
https://flic.kr/p/DCfWdg
https://flic.kr/p/DCfWtM

Skimmer Juice
01-07-2018, 07:47 PM

I just got a tank from there I wish I knew that was an option , looks so much better IMO . I got a white acrylic back so it would have worked really well for saving me cleaning time .

st0rmtr000pa
01-07-2018, 08:10 PM
This is what I have online:
https://flic.kr/p/21MUEbY
https://flic.kr/p/DCfWdg
https://flic.kr/p/DCfWtM

Wow! It looks great. Well I’m looking forward to having this on my new tank. Looks sleek. Plus added thickness of glass is always welcomed.

kyl
01-07-2018, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I believe it was MattyB that showed me a picture of his and I went with it. It did add probably 5% to the cost, but very much worth it vs the acrylic insert. I wish I had gotten the same for the frag tank.

st0rmtr000pa
01-07-2018, 10:17 PM
So I found a buyer for my 125 Gallon tank. Now I just have to wait 3 weeks to receive the new tank from Concept. I have to start focusing on items to get this build running and cycling once the tank and sump arrive. I need some rock (macro rock / real reef rock), titanium heaters, power heads (mp40’s or gyre), RODI unit and some salt.

Yeah, I believe it was MattyB that showed me a picture of his and I went with it. It did add probably 5% to the cost, but very much worth it vs the acrylic insert. I wish I had gotten the same for the frag tank.

Well I’m glad I decided to go with it. Yah my frag tank will still have the acrylic insert.

kyl
01-07-2018, 11:10 PM
Look forward to seeing the build :thumb:

smokinreefer
01-08-2018, 06:35 PM
I just got a tank from there I wish I knew that was an option , looks so much better IMO . I got a white acrylic back so it would have worked really well for saving me cleaning time .

I didn't know it was an option either.
looks great!

they really need to go over all their options with customers...
you'd think it would be win-win for everyone.

you get a nicer finished tank, which you pay more for, which leads to more referrals and revenue for them...

anyways have fun with the upgrade!

kyl
01-08-2018, 08:14 PM
I didn't know it was an option either.
looks great!

they really need to go over all their options with customers...
you'd think it would be win-win for everyone.

you get a nicer finished tank, which you pay more for, which leads to more referrals and revenue for them...

anyways have fun with the upgrade!

I'm hopeful that Dave gets things humming given the changes that have been talked about. I would really suggest that some literature be created to reflect all that they can do as options.

I did what I felt was a lot of homework with modelling the tanks and sump in SketchUp and pestered quite a few tank owners here, on FB groups and in person. Still, I found some cosmetic things that were overlooked because I didn't know, and would want on future builds (like black vinyl on the bottom of the tank to hide that plywood).

Not saying the tank isn't beautiful, they did a great job. Just you know, it wasn't the smoothest process. I'm hoping to get a nice ~200 gallon peninsula later this year or early next year and wouldn't hesitate to go through Dave again.

dave_C
01-08-2018, 09:22 PM
I'm hopeful that Dave gets things humming given the changes that have been talked about. I would really suggest that some literature be created to reflect all that they can do as options.

I did what I felt was a lot of homework with modelling the tanks and sump in SketchUp and pestered quite a few tank owners here, on FB groups and in person. Still, I found some cosmetic things that were overlooked because I didn't know, and would want on future builds (like black vinyl on the bottom of the tank to hide that plywood).

Not saying the tank isn't beautiful, they did a great job. Just you know, it wasn't the smoothest process. I'm hoping to get a nice ~200 gallon peninsula later this year or early next year and wouldn't hesitate to go through Dave again.

this is not an excuse but I only allow one person to handle tank quotes and builds and at times it can get overwhelming. Since I took back over the quoting and handling of builds I can see where some details get glossed over. Sometimes, ok most times we get emails asking for a price on a XXX gallon tank with no other info and it is like pulling teeth too get the right info to properly quote the tank they want.

I think going forward when we get a request for pricing the first question I will ask is, do you want a cheap but holds water tank, a good but not perfect tank or an all out baller tank lol and than work out details with the customers.

We can do a lot with glass and with the CNC table coming in the next month or so there will have a lot we can offer for acrylic too.

I am currently working on a request work sheet with all that we can offer, so in the future it should be a lot smoother process :mrgreen:

I will look forward to working with you on the new build.

Thanks Dave

kyl
01-08-2018, 09:44 PM
this is not an excuse but I only allow one person to handle tank quotes and builds and at times it can get overwhelming. Since I took back over the quoting and handling of builds I can see where some details get glossed over. Sometimes, ok most times we get emails asking for a price on a XXX gallon tank with no other info and it is like pulling teeth too get the right info to properly quote the tank they want.

I think going forward when we get a request for pricing the first question I will ask is, do you want a cheap but holds water tank, a good but not perfect tank or an all out baller tank lol and than work out details with the customers.

We can do a lot with glass and with the CNC table coming in the next month or so there will have a lot we can offer for acrylic too.

I am currently working on a request work sheet with all that we can offer, so in the future it should be a lot smoother process :mrgreen:

I will look forward to working with you on the new build.

Thanks Dave
I don't want to hi-jack the build thread too much but Dave, I felt you did the best you could given everything going on and I still appreciate the long phone call to get things straightened out and the updates after that. So far so good with the tanks.

Now back to the regularly scheduled build thread!

st0rmtr000pa
01-09-2018, 01:24 AM
So I picked up some goodies today. I bought a ReefLink so I can mess around with my lights while I wait for my tank and sump as well as have controllability over my Vectra pump when the time comes. I also bought an Apex flow meter for when I do the plumbing. I'm trying to avoid plumbing in anything after is has water in the lines. Also a member also told me to go with the flatter nozzles than the more direct nozzles so I decided to do that and got some of those. Not a huge update but it's something.

Does anyone here have experience with the Reeflink and the WXM module? Any big differences between the two?

https://i.imgur.com/rku6kApl.jpg?1

Bblinks
01-09-2018, 03:13 AM
Still selling the frag tank? ��

st0rmtr000pa
01-09-2018, 04:14 AM
Still selling the frag tank? ��

Never was?

Bblinks
01-09-2018, 04:52 AM
Never was?

Oh lol my bad.

Setup looks great!

st0rmtr000pa
01-22-2018, 03:56 AM
Just thought I'd do a small update considering it's been awhile since I've posted one.

So the main display was picked up today. I feel really bad for the guy who bought it as it was cracked while loading it in the back of their truck. It sounds like it may not be as bad as first expected. With the tank gone I managed to flip my stand the right way up lol. It feels so empty now that the tank is gone! I spoke with Dave at Concept today and he said the new tank should be ready to ship by Thursday or Friday. I still haven't heard back from the sump builder and it sure has taken a long time to get this sump! It's been well over a month.

I have also added a QT Tank to my living room. I figured I'd get some fish once it is cycled to start treatment and hopefully my tank will be up and running by the time they are ready to be put in. It's a 40 gallon breeder. It's not the biggest tank but it will get the job done. I painted the back black. I'm using 1 Ai Sol Blue for the light. I decided to go with the Seachem Tidal 75 for the Hang On Filter as it does surface skimming which I thought was a pretty cool feature for a HOB Filter and also has a Sicce pump!

https://i.imgur.com/WJh1m8el.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/92jnAodl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aAqvkwOl.jpg

st0rmtr000pa
01-23-2018, 10:05 PM
So today I went and picked up a 100 pounds of Dry Macro Rock from J&L. I decided to go the dry rock route because I don't want to deal with any pests or bad types of algae. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with this rock? I've heard good and bad so far. I hear they can leach phosphates? But others claim that it doesn't? I thought I may also have to pick up more than a 100 pounds but I took it all out of the boxes and it look like more than enough. Now I am going to through it in a garbage can for at least a month and let it cycle. Anyone know where to get Prodibio?

https://i.imgur.com/TSSlz4bl.jpg

kyl
01-23-2018, 10:23 PM
I've used it on all my tanks, and my shallow 60 as of three days ago. I like it, easy to cement together (hydraulic cement, e-marco etc), and you don't really have to do much more than rinse and dip it in RO for an hour or so to get most of the dust out/off. I haven't noticed PO4 spiking months later, there really isn't much of any dead organic material to break down (unlike pukani) as it's a quarried material.

If you want to break the pieces down a hammer and chisel will be pretty easy, and it usually breaks off with a lot of character left in the rock, rather than just a sliced section. You can also cut it with a wet tile saw to get a flat, stable bottom for the glass if that matters.

st0rmtr000pa
01-24-2018, 03:55 AM
I've used it on all my tanks, and my shallow 60 as of three days ago. I like it, easy to cement together (hydraulic cement, e-marco etc), and you don't really have to do much more than rinse and dip it in RO for an hour or so to get most of the dust out/off. I haven't noticed PO4 spiking months later, there really isn't much of any dead organic material to break down (unlike pukani) as it's a quarried material.

If you want to break the pieces down a hammer and chisel will be pretty easy, and it usually breaks off with a lot of character left in the rock, rather than just a sliced section. You can also cut it with a wet tile saw to get a flat, stable bottom for the glass if that matters.

That’s great to know thanks Kyl! I think the rock looks much better than live rock myself. Plus it seems much easier to scape and you have much better outcomes. I’m just going to cycle mine for a month in a garbage can and hopefully that prevents and phosphate leaching if there is even any to begin with. What type of setups are you running with the rock? Pictures?

kyl
01-24-2018, 04:35 AM
Far from an expert, and don't want to hijack but here's the new shallow 60g I got built. Just moved the two original halves I had in a IM fusion 20 nano tank into it tonight. The left section from the nano I did up with just superglue when I started in the hobby, but the rest was with hydraulic cement that I got from Eli in Calgary before he packed up shop.

Dry: https://flic.kr/p/23weLNy
Wet: https://flic.kr/p/JN2fSk
Nano original: https://flic.kr/p/E5TgVK

The next is in a 65g Aqueon with that curved internal overflow.
Wet but new: https://flic.kr/p/S2V81e wanted a high wall look
After a year or so: https://flic.kr/p/YXzXUo multiple tank issues, never did get much coral in it with two fallow periods in a year, then some nasty cyano when I started using AF reef salt last fall.

st0rmtr000pa
01-25-2018, 01:49 AM
Well your tanks look awesome! I love the look of it covered in Coraline as well. Ya I keep hearing the same thing about the AF Salt. How are you liking your gyres?

kyl
01-25-2018, 02:10 AM
150 gen1 - went through two motor housings, one gen1 controller and one set of paddles, all RMA replaced. Happy with it overall, not impressed that it cost so much to get apex connected.

230's - getting quieter now that they've slimed up a bit, more powerful than I thought they would be. Running on the new maxspect controller, which itself is nice, but I don't really like how confusing it seems to be to program and would rather they be 0-10v via Apex. I am not paying almost $400 to do that though.

dave_C
01-25-2018, 06:28 PM
sorry run into a small delay waiting for the acrylic to come back but here is a few pic's to hold you over lol

http://i.imgur.com/XolFSKU.jpg (https://imgur.com/XolFSKU)

http://i.imgur.com/PtCLPsn.jpg (https://imgur.com/PtCLPsn)

DKoKoMan
01-25-2018, 10:50 PM
What are the dimension on this tank?

st0rmtr000pa
01-26-2018, 01:22 AM
sorry run into a small delay waiting for the acrylic to come back but here is a few pic's to hold you over lol

http://i.imgur.com/XolFSKU.jpg (https://imgur.com/XolFSKU)

http://i.imgur.com/PtCLPsn.jpg (https://imgur.com/PtCLPsn)

Oh wow looks great! I love the look of the backing. It’s a much cleaner look in my opinion. Can’t wait for it to be sitting in my living room!

The tank dimensions are 60L x 24W x 20H

DKoKoMan
01-26-2018, 01:43 AM
Yes very clean! 3/4” holes both sides for return? Using loc-line nozzles?

st0rmtr000pa
01-26-2018, 01:59 AM
Yes very clean! 3/4” holes both sides for return? Using loc-line nozzles?

Yup that’s the plan. I had it on my last tank. It looked sweet.

DKoKoMan
01-26-2018, 02:53 AM
Ok wicked! Dave is doing up my new tank as well. After seeing yours I just got that more excited.

st0rmtr000pa
01-27-2018, 02:44 AM
Ok wicked! Dave is doing up my new tank as well. After seeing yours I just got that more excited.

This is technically my third tank from Dave. They all turned out wicked looking. You won’t be let down. Plus his customer service is top notch!

kyl
01-27-2018, 03:23 AM
You're going to be very happy with the laminated glass, looks better in person.

DKoKoMan
01-27-2018, 04:21 AM
This is technically my third tank from Dave. They all turned out wicked looking. You won’t be let down. Plus his customer service is top notch!

That’s great! My wife is excited as she wants it to be super clean and be a decorative feature in the basement.

st0rmtr000pa
01-28-2018, 06:44 PM
That’s great! My wife is excited as she wants it to be super clean and be a decorative feature in the basement.

You won’t be disappointed!

st0rmtr000pa
01-31-2018, 09:52 PM
So I have two things to update you guys on. One is the sump is nearing completion and should be shipped from Anaheim tomorrow. I made a mistake in the last post saying the sump was coming from Elite Aquatics when in fact its coming from Advanced Acrylics. Secondly my new tank is just about to be finished up and shipped out. I'm just waiting on the acrylic teeth to be installed. Everything should be here by the end of next week (hoping).

The sump is a custom triton style sump. The first section is a fuge area with 5 - 1" bulkheads for the drains from two tanks. The second section is the skimmer section with an adjustable baffle. It has 5 - 1/4" bulkheads for dosing and ato lines. The third section is the return section. It has 2 - 1 1/2" bulkheads for the return and media reactor pump(s) (if I choose to go with a second pump for the media reactors or just stick with one pump for both the return and media reactors) It also has another 1" bulkhead for expansion. The last section is an ato which has a 1" bulkhead for whatever reason and 1 - 1/4" bulkhead for the ato pump. Total water volume is 66.5 Gallons excluding the ATO section. Total fill volume should be around 48.9 Gallons. The ATO section is 9.7 Gallons.

Sump Pictures:
https://i.imgur.com/uU1YTWwl.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/OBeZua3l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jbwZRQvl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0cIcv7Kl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lr0Q8lPl.jpg

Tank Pictures:
https://i.imgur.com/oV2zfJ8l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nIxf5vWl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ffDBmktl.jpg

DKoKoMan
02-01-2018, 02:04 AM
The new sump and new tank look nice! Now let’s get them both wet...following along.