PDA

View Full Version : apex questions

Amadod2
01-01-2018, 08:51 PM
I been thinking of adding an apex to my tank, I want one to monitor the temp, ph, and I would like to add a water floor detection to it later on. I really do like the mobile interface for my phone. my question is do I need to buy the starter kit or can I buy the parts separately and add them on. I was looking at the junior kit but it only has four outlets and the classic seems to have more things then I need (orp prob etc). so can I but the 8 outlet and the part that controls that?

DorySaid
01-01-2018, 10:12 PM
You can buy them separately as far as I know. As long as the controller unit has the provisions for the different probes/devices. i.e maybe the display unit doesn't have an ORP port etc

CHEAPREEF
01-01-2018, 10:22 PM
You can for sure buy a extra EB8 for the Jr if you wanted to up your # of outlets.
My question would be why you would want ORP? Unless your running Ozone it's practicaly useless. There conductivity probe is on the same line so finiky and fragile I would never buy a APEX for either of those 2 options.

Ryanvan
01-01-2018, 11:12 PM
I have a junior and love it. I do only have a nano tank. I added a wxm to control my radion light and mp 10. Love being able to control things over my phone. I purchased it mainly for temp control but have slowly added to it. Would never go back.

Amadod2
01-02-2018, 12:13 AM
Well I wanted it mainly for temp control and a water detector if there was a spill but I would like the phone app to monitor everything

Dearth
01-02-2018, 12:42 AM
You can buy everything separately but I do suggest you splurge and buy the either the junior or full version then add on as needed

The biggest thing though is if you buy the apex go to Apex's website and follow their step by step setup and updating firmware videos as this is the biggest single complaint about apex is setting up and updating can be a challenge

Ryanvan
01-02-2018, 12:47 AM
If you are using it on anything bigger than a nano I would get the bigger set-up. Four outlets will not go far. Once you get used to the apex you will want to control all your equipment through it.

DKoKoMan
01-02-2018, 03:11 PM
Good thread as I have considered using an apex but I am not great with technology and have no idea where to start.

CHEAPREEF
01-02-2018, 03:15 PM
Good thread as I have considered using an apex but I am not great with technology and have no idea where to start.

There actually pretty easy to setup, everything is either on Youtube or there forum for setting things up. Also a large section on Reef2Reef and Reef Central if you can't find your answers there.

DKoKoMan
01-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Thanks. I will take a look on YouTube and hopefully make sense of it :lol: