PDA

View Full Version : First Hawaii and now Fiji??

ReefMadness
12-30-2017, 03:03 PM
i certainly don't want to start any rumors but i just read a very small piece on Fiji putting a halt on export of all coral and liverock. being you can't believe everything you read on the internet i didn't think much of it until i read Walt Smith issue this statement:
Walt Smith International, Fiji would like to acknowledge the recent statement in the news related to the complete ban of collection and export of Coral and Live Rock. The Recent ban has come as a total shock to our company and the industry in Fiji. We only found out by a facebook post Friday morning and have not been legally notified of any bans currently in place.
Required protocol in matters like this are to consult with local industry before any actions are taken. We have been in contact with the local government and are working through the issues and future of the exports in Fiji but cannot comment further until work resumes on Tuesday January 2nd.
While this is potential roadblock for our company, we are confident that our business will continue.
We appreciate the concern and consideration for the reefs and sustainability in Fiji, and as WSI maintains a sustainable approach toward all our operations with our coral farms, reef replanting operations with the ADEProject.org, we have high hopes for a great sustainable future within Fiji.
Fortunately for WSI we have extended ourselves to be able to export our Man Made rock and Cultured corals, along with our wonderful Fiji Fish.
Walt, Deb & Dave
Our 100+ Local Employees
not the greatest bit of news :(

Myka
12-30-2017, 03:50 PM
So it sounds like they're saying it's just a rumor still too.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

ReefMadness
12-30-2017, 04:39 PM
So it sounds like they're saying it's just a rumor still too.
without question and it would seem odd that the industry leading exporter in fiji wouldn't be directly and definitively addressed on the matter. however, given the ruling in hawaii this year it's tough to brush it off as a ludicrous claim.

gmann
12-31-2017, 01:41 AM
i was just at jl and the guy in fish room said they still gettin hawaii on a regular basis. their prices havent jumped (then again i havent been following)

can anyone confirm this?

Delphinus
12-31-2017, 03:36 AM
Very interested to see how this plays out...

Ryan
12-31-2017, 03:46 AM
Walt smith put out a statement yesterday about this. Sure didn’t sound like a rumour the way he was talking.

zoey79
12-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Some info from the local media in Fiji.

https://fijisun.com.fj/2017/12/30/harvest-export-of-live-coral-now-banned-ministry/

WarDog
01-02-2018, 09:29 PM
Walt Smith gave an update on his FB page today. Things look grim.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-03-2018, 12:14 AM
This removes much of the financial incentive for coral farmers to set up in Fiji, which in turn hurts their local economy and their ability to fight back against the loss of reefs from other causes. No warning, no discussions with stakeholders.

Not good, not good.

Anthony