PDA

View Full Version : Apitasia

1bigstud
12-29-2017, 06:42 AM
Hello,

Ive got an apitasia outbreak in my tank.
75 gallon.
Was wondering if anyone knew of any natural solutions to getting rid of them.
Ie fish or invertebrates that feed on those and regukar foods.

Thanks for your input
Rick

ReefMadness
12-29-2017, 01:56 PM
copperband butterfly, filefish and bergaria nudibranch are the 3 that come to mind in terms of natural predators. it seems like once the aptasia is gone each has their own difficulties in keeping though.
alternatively, kalk paste, lemon/lime juice and boiling water are the usual reef-safe implements and then down the list to aptasia-x.
i've never had a big issue with aptasia but these are what i keep coming across as solutions. perhaps someone here can provide help as to what works well and what doesn't.

kengeroo
12-29-2017, 02:19 PM
the slugs just get washed away in the current,,, aptasia away works,,, but it's a hassle...

get peppermint shrimp,,

I had them a few months ago ,, picked up 8 aptasia,,, it's almost under control now...

1bigstud
12-29-2017, 04:57 PM
Thanks everyone.

Ideally i would go for a peppermint shrimp, but that will just turn into a feast for my flame hawk.

After doing some research I will go for a filefish.

510christie
12-29-2017, 07:44 PM
My experience with a HEAVY infestation in a 240 gallon tank using nudibranchs was excellent. I have strong flow in my tank and they did just fine....you just have to introduce them carefully i.e. pumps off otherwise they will get washed away initially. Once they have "landed" the slugs can handle pretty heavy flow.

zazzoo
12-31-2017, 04:19 AM
i got tired of kalk paste and aiptasia x... so i bought myself 3.5 watt laser pointer that burns... now let me tell u ... i love killing them with the laser... crackle pop sounds and watching them die... i can also control bubble algae and anything that i dont want ... i look foward to using my laser its so much fun

1bigstud
12-31-2017, 05:21 AM
Zazzoo

That sounds like a fun option.
Two questions
1) where does someone get something like that.
2) doesnt the burnt matter polute the tank?

zazzoo
12-31-2017, 06:28 AM
http://www.laserpointerpro.com/5000mw-450nm-blue-beam-singlepoint-stainless-steel-laser-pointer-pen-kit-with-batteries-charger-black-p-2935.html

this is where i ordered mine... there are videos of it popping balloons and lighting matches....
no there are no pollutants.... i havent had any issues ... just make sure u wear the glasses and watch for the reflection of the laser ... few times i was burning an aiptasia and was burning a hole in my shirt LOL

Frogger
01-02-2018, 05:23 AM
http://www.laserpointerpro.com/5000mw-450nm-blue-beam-singlepoint-stainless-steel-laser-pointer-pen-kit-with-batteries-charger-black-p-2935.html

this is where i ordered mine... there are videos of it popping balloons and lighting matches....
no there are no pollutants.... i havent had any issues ... just make sure u wear the glasses and watch for the reflection of the laser ... few times i was burning an aiptasia and was burning a hole in my shirt LOL

Are these lasers legal in Canada?

DKoKoMan
01-02-2018, 02:49 PM
Are these lasers legal in Canada?

Funny you say that... as someone who works in law enforcement I can tell you that the intended use described on their webpage ie. sky pointing will land you a criminal charge!