PDA

View Full Version : Tanks on Hardwood Floors

straightrazorguy
12-27-2017, 04:31 PM
The apartment I'm in has beautiful, old hardwood floors. I have a 3 ft cube placed on its stand on top of the hardwood. I've had a few mishaps that ended with either saltwater or freshwater on the floor. The worst one was my sump, which decided to suddenly leak in the stand under the tank. I had the silicone re-done and moved the sump behind the tank, again, directly on the hardwood. I am now in the process of re-plumbing things and need to move the sump again. I was shocked at the amount of salt creep on the floor around the sump, in the little nooks and crannies I couldn't get at.

My question to you all is: what kind of liner/tray can I lay under my sump and d beyond to protect the floors from minor spills/salt creep. All the splashy drains, reactors the skimmer , etc. are in this sump. Any ideas would be welcome.

marks69
12-27-2017, 06:19 PM
find a large boot tray with a flat bottom.

WarDog
12-27-2017, 06:36 PM
Have a custom pan made at your local sheet metal shop and then spray it with the rubberized liner from Crappy Tire.

takeastabatit22
12-28-2017, 05:16 AM
The apartment I'm in has beautiful, old hardwood floors. I have a 3 ft cube placed on its stand on top of the hardwood. I've had a few mishaps that ended with either saltwater or freshwater on the floor. The worst one was my sump, which decided to suddenly leak in the stand under the tank. I had the silicone re-done and moved the sump behind the tank, again, directly on the hardwood. I am now in the process of re-plumbing things and need to move the sump again. I was shocked at the amount of salt creep on the floor around the sump, in the little nooks and crannies I couldn't get at.

My question to you all is: what kind of liner/tray can I lay under my sump and d beyond to protect the floors from minor spills/salt creep. All the splashy drains, reactors the skimmer , etc. are in this sump. Any ideas would be welcome.I used a black rubber Matt it tied in with my black glass stand

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

duncangweller
12-28-2017, 06:56 AM
Pond liner

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Myka
12-28-2017, 11:55 AM
Some rubbers, when exposed to that much pressure, over time will start to break down and stick to the floor. This is obviously really not cool. For this reason, I use carpeted runner. It comes in bulk, in giant rolls, and you buy it by the foot from hardware or carpet stores. I've seen it up to 4 feet wide. I lay it down under the system with the carpet side down.

straightrazorguy
12-28-2017, 02:27 PM
Guys, thank you for the excellent ideas. I was researching the topic like mad, and stumbled upon this article:

https://reefbuilders.com/2010/04/28/dridek-rubber-matting-save-carpet-hardwood-possibly-marriage/

I liked the idea of having some ventilation space under the bottom glass, so I ordered myself 12 tiles. I plan on putting some rubberized carpet on top of the Dri-Dek tiles to keep the splash off the floor altogether, as well; thank you Mindy!