PDA

View Full Version : Need help with bubble coral. Parasite?

chrisphungg
12-15-2017, 01:12 AM
I think there is a parasite attacking my bubble coral. My bubble coral has been living happily for months now until now. I just got home from work and noticed one of the polyps were deflated. Upon closer inspection, it looks like there is an orange worm inside the deflated polyp. It kind of looks like the worm is pushing up against the polyp from the inside. It seems there are orange dots on a lot of my bubble corals polyps now, although they are still inflated.
http://i64.tinypic.com/24otzk5.jpg

chrisphungg
12-15-2017, 01:24 AM
Parameters:
Ammonia/Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH 8.2

Inhabitants:
Juvie hippo tang
Juvie Naso tang
Juvie Yellow tang
Terias Anthias
Pair of clownfish
2 Fire red shrimp
2 Skunk cleaners
Various clean up crew members (Red Scarlet hermits, Trochus, Nassarius, Margarita)

Last thing added to the tank was the Naso tang about 2 weeks ago.

WarDog
12-15-2017, 02:16 AM
I'd just grab some tweezers and a razor blade and have at 'er.

chrisphungg
12-15-2017, 02:52 AM
I'm afraid of damaging the coral, I do see a lot of little orange heads trying to poke out of the coral though. Would you recommend a coral dip?

Dearth
12-15-2017, 03:02 AM
I'm afraid of damaging the coral, I do see a lot of little orange heads trying to poke out of the coral though. Would you recommend a coral dip?

As Wardog said take tweezers and a knife to it dig it out only way to be sure what it is. It may come out just with tweezers too

WarDog
12-15-2017, 06:32 AM
Would you recommend a coral dip?

If you can easily remove the coral, then yes. However, a hydrogen peroxide dip might be more effective.

smokinreefer
12-20-2017, 02:06 AM
So what was the culprit?

chrisphungg
12-20-2017, 04:30 AM
I cut open the 2 polyps that had the orange spots because after I picked up the coral, the polyp that was deflated vanished. After I cut open the polyps I saw the orange dot move around. Once I cut the whole bigger, the orange dot vanished. I did a coral RX dip and nothing came out of the coral. Still wondering what it was or if it's even anything but my coral today is looking very happy.