PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Skimmer for 50G

Buccaneer
12-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Hey everyone ... this may sound odd but I have only had one skimmer and it is a dual beckett so have no clue as to the " store bought " brands and what is good.

The tank is ( 50G ) in the wall of a store and there is not alot of space so I was thinking of a hang on back variety ( there is no chance to drill for a sump either )

Of the available models is there a recommended model that wont put microbubbles back into the tank and is pretty maintenance free ( he has to train some staff members to look after this tank )

Thanks for the input

Delphinus
12-07-2004, 12:45 AM
I'd look at some of the Precision Marine models, the 426 or the 626. They come in both counter current/airstone and venturi models.

Buccaneer
12-07-2004, 12:57 AM
J&L shows a Hot1 rated up to 90G ... would that do ?

Delphinus
12-07-2004, 01:23 AM
I think it's a hang on version of the 426. I would guess it's OK. I ran a 426 for a while, wasn't bad. No beckett mind you :biggrin:

Buccaneer
12-07-2004, 07:42 AM
Thanks Tony ... I will let him know ... he is trying to get a handle on what it will cost to change his current freshwater setup to marine softie tank.

Here is what I think so far ...

build a reflector ... $70
2 X WH7 ... $100
tombstones ... $16
4 VHO bulbs ... $120
65 LB live rock ... $300
Hot 1 skimmer ... $269
Circulation mag 18 on closed loop ... $200
misc plumbing ... $50

any suggestions other than livestock ?

danny zubot
12-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Is he planning on having corals in the tank?

Buccaneer
12-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Is he planning on having corals in the tank?

... he is trying to get a handle on what it will cost to change his current freshwater setup to marine softie tank.

As I said he is looking at making it a softie tank ... shrooms, leathers etc

Delphinus
12-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Thanks Tony ... I will let him know ... he is trying to get a handle on what it will cost to change his current freshwater setup to marine softie tank.

Sounds like a reasonable enumeration .. I'm not sure one would really want to know this information though! Just "close your eyes and jump"

tombstones ... $16

:question: :question: :question:

Buccaneer
12-08-2004, 02:22 AM
Tombstones are what is commonly referred to as endcaps ... they are called tombstones because that is what they look like ... as reefers we gladly pay huge bucks for " waterproof " endcaps but they dont work well with VHO as VHO bulbs generate more heat than NO bulbs and end up burning up the endcap ( happened to me on icecap waterproof endcaps ) ... we dont really " need " waterproof endcaps anyway as the lights should not come in contact with water and if they do your GFCI circuit would trip anyway ( you should have a GFCI plug or breaker on your tank stuff )

Cheers

EmilyB
12-08-2004, 05:59 AM
I owned a hangon Hot-1 for about ten minutes. They overflow onto to the floor, just so you know. :lol:

Samw
12-08-2004, 06:06 AM
I owned a hangon Hot-1 for about ten minutes. They overflow onto to the floor, just so you know. :lol:

Yup. Been there done that with the PM HOT-1 skimmer. Oh wait.... I sold that one to you. :redface:

Buccaneer
12-08-2004, 06:59 AM
Any other recommendations for a hang-on-back skimmer then ?

Samw
12-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Of the available models is there a recommended model that wont put microbubbles back into the tank and is pretty maintenance free

All skimmers need to be cleaned once every month or 2. Their collector cups should also be emptied every week or 2. So hopefully, that still meets your maintenance-free criteria. Most of the HOT skimmers will put microbubbles back. The only one that I've used that didn't was one from the Tunze Comline series. There are various sizes. However, these don't hang on the back of the tank. Rather, they hang inside the tank. For the other HOB skimmers, you can get bubbletraps for them.

albert_dao
12-08-2004, 07:10 AM
Remora?

Buccaneer
12-08-2004, 07:54 AM
Of the available models is there a recommended model that wont put microbubbles back into the tank and is pretty maintenance free

All skimmers need to be cleaned once every month or 2. Their collector cups should also be emptied every week or 2. So hopefully, that still meets your maintenance-free criteria. Most of the HOT skimmers will put microbubbles back. The only one that I've used that didn't was one from the Tunze Comline series. There are various sizes. However, these don't hang on the back of the tank. Rather, they hang inside the tank. For the other HOB skimmers, you can get bubbletraps for them.

I am referring to " maintenance free " as more to getting the skimmer tuned in and running properly without alot of fiddling around ... my beckett for instance when I take it apart to clean just have to reassemble and plug in the pump and it is back working within a few hours as before ... no adjusting air/water pressure.

This guy and his staff will need something fairly idiot-proof where I can say " check the collection cup and clean it every so many days " ( depending on how the skimmer reacts to the bioload )

hockey nut
12-08-2004, 08:09 AM
Should be able to buy a reflector for cheaper than $70.

At least he is doing his homework with alot of help from you.

Enjoy :smile:

G1GY
12-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Same as Albert said....Remora?

Very simple and skims great for the money.

:smile:

Delphinus
12-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Tombstones are what is commonly referred to as endcaps ...

Oh. Never heard them referred to as that before.

You're far too hip for me. I'm .. uh.. down with dat, homey.

thanks

Buccaneer
12-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Tombstones are what is commonly referred to as endcaps ...

Oh. Never heard them referred to as that before.

You're far too hip for me. I'm .. uh.. down with dat, homey.

thanks

:rofl:

Buccaneer
12-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Should be able to buy a reflector for cheaper than $70.

At least he is doing his homework with alot of help from you.

Enjoy :smile:

I am guessing on the reflector ... I got one built at a hydro shop here in town for the President of our company for 91.00 ( 66 X 22 ) ... not sure how much of that was material and how much was labour ... should be close though.

Buccaneer
12-08-2004, 05:08 PM
One more question ... is a mag 18 for a closed loop on a tank that size overkill for circulation ?

StirCrazy
12-08-2004, 10:53 PM
One more question ... is a mag 18 for a closed loop on a tank that size overkill for circulation ?

nope not as long as you set it up right.

Steve

G1GY
12-08-2004, 11:26 PM

If you use 3/4" fittings and pipe it should be just right with 4 returns. This is what I done in my 90 and even with the Mag 18 my flow is a little less than it should be. So i'm going to put 1/2" bushings in the return outlets to get a little more pressure.