PDA

View Full Version : Reactor blow out

Ya Dude
11-28-2017, 01:22 AM
I had all my ballasts burn out a week ago and thought I was done having problems.
Then whaaaat, my reactor blew up
The only thing I can think of is the solinoid stuck and the co2 built up and pop!

Tigweldpro
11-28-2017, 01:58 AM
Thats intense! Its a fair size vessel could have caused some serious damage

Scythanith
11-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Yowza!

Delphinus
11-28-2017, 04:42 PM
Wow, sorry to hear.

Question: How are you controlling flow into and out of the reactor?

I popped a reactor once by trying to feed it via a T'd line off my sump return. I was having issues with the flow being inconsistent so I was trying it with the needle valve on the input side of the reactor and on the outlet size of the reactor. I found with the needle valve on the input side I was still having inconsistent flow so I moved it to the output. A day later I found the whole thing split open with a huge mess on the floor.

Lesson learned! Between the CO2 regulator's pressure setting and sump return pump, it can lead to enough internal pressure to stress the seams. I prefer to have the output of the reactor as free-flow, with the flow adjustments made as the water goes into the reactor.

Anyhow hopefully you can get everything sorted out.

Ya Dude
11-28-2017, 11:40 PM
I do have the input T'd off sump pump with needle valve. The needle valve was adjusted with the out put fully open with barely any effluent pressure.
I can tell the reactor over reacted because of the silty water left behind which would explain excessive co2
I ll start by ordering a new probe and fix the reactor I guess.
Luckily I have a kalk dripper

Delphinus
11-29-2017, 03:22 PM
I tried once using a 60ml/min peristaltic pump to feed the reactor. Thought I had the feed problem licked once and for all until I learned that those pumps apparently don't last more than a couple months when being used for more than a couple minutes per day to dose something. :lol: Can't win!!