PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Water - first fill

Mikey B
12-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Hi everyone. New Guy here and about to bore you with a bunch of questions for the next while that will make you laugh, but I'm glad you're here.

I'll be filling my new tank with water in a week or so.
I sure would like to put the hose in and fill her with my culligan softened tap water, but nothing is easy in this wonderful hobby, so I suspect this isn't either.

What is the easiest water source for our salt water systems?

Thank you!

Mike

Delphinus
12-07-2004, 12:16 AM
What does the water softener do or I mean how does it work. If it adds something then I wouldn't use that water. I could be wrong but I thought softeners did their thing by adding some kind of epsom salts or something.

If it's a RO filter however then Hoo yeah! You're set.

It sort of depends on whether you want to use raw tap water or not. Some people use tap water with no ill effects but most people tend to eventually gravitate towards RO or RO/DI.

G1GY
12-07-2004, 12:33 AM
If your not planning on using RO water just get your water from a tap that's not sofend. (Like maybe the outside tap.) I'd pass on the soft water to be on the safe side.

But if you do use it, let everyone know how it went! :biggrin:

Cyclo
12-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Does anywhere in Calgary sell that Catalina sea water?

Mikey B
12-07-2004, 03:04 AM
Great feedback so far...keep it coming.

A water softener uses salt as a catalyst to remove iron and other hard crap from water. It only adds a trace of salt to the water, but the salt is probably not like "Pacific Ocean Salt".

I think I'll go ask the Culligan Man too.

How about using the water you buy in the big blue jugs for water coolers?

Thanks again (I just got home from buying lights at Big Al's...they were quick to matched the price (+shipping) of J&L).

Mike

G1GY
12-07-2004, 03:21 AM
How about using the water you buy in the big blue jugs for water coolers?

Mike

Sure, You can get RO, spring and distilled water in those blue jugs. If your going to use them you might as well get the RO. (The one with the red tag on it I think.) :smile:

Hope it's not a big tank though, those jugs cost around $5.00 each. This realy add up if it's like a 90 gallon or something larger. If that's the case, might as well buy an RO unit now with that money. :smile:

Mikey B
12-07-2004, 03:56 AM
Thanks G1GY

The darn thing is a 120 Gallons.
Do you have a RO system you would recommend? I don't need one for drinking water, just for the tank and maybe the house plants.[/quote]

Tarolisol
12-07-2004, 04:41 AM
I would check ebay i just got my RO-DI from aquasafe for 100 bucks shipped.

Aquattro
12-07-2004, 06:43 AM

Pretty much the best way to go these days. for the cost, it can't be beat.

danny zubot
12-07-2004, 03:21 PM
IMO, if you can drink it, they can swim in it.

DiscusZ
12-07-2004, 04:47 PM
According to what I have heard.. Water softeners should not be used to water for your tank.. Your not even supposed to drink it.. Normally the softener is hooked into the hot water line anyways.. You are also not supposed to use hotwater for Drinking/Cooking as hotwater will leech metals from your hotwater tank/copper pipes

Unless its a Sodium free Water softener that uses resins, this may be a different story as well..

I saw the latter in a recent Utility bill, there was a info booklet with that info in it.

With the relative cost of RO or RO/DI its best to go that would.

Jim

G1GY
12-08-2004, 01:58 AM

Pretty much the best way to go these days. for the cost, it can't be beat.

Damn it's getting expensive to hang around here with you people! :eek: Just ordered the ro/di unit! :biggrin: (except mine was a bit more than 100 with shipping.)

Aquattro
12-08-2004, 02:09 AM
(except mine was a bit more than 100 with shipping.)

When I bought my RO/DI unit, it cost well over $300. You got off easy!!

G1GY
12-08-2004, 02:59 AM
(except mine was a bit more than 100 with shipping.)

When I bought my RO/DI unit, it cost well over $300. You got off easy!!

Mine was $150 with the shipping for the 100 GPD model. I could have got the 85 GPD a little cheaper, but I thought what the heck. :smile:

Mikey B
12-09-2004, 04:39 AM
Hi group...thanks for the replys.

Since the water will go in this weekend (Sunday), it looks like it will be good old Calgary tap water from an un-softened line. My water softener has a by-pass valve that make this an easy step.

Wish me luck.... :eek:

Thanks very much.

Mike

takphan
12-09-2004, 06:16 AM
if you decide to use tap water, call Water Works ahead of time to see if they have put any additives in the water due to the cold snap.

they can provide a water analysis report for Calgary water.

i once lost 18 parrot cichlids because of tap water.

IMHO, an RO unit is the best investment

Tak

muck
12-09-2004, 06:22 AM
might want to also at least use "Prime" water conditioner.

monza
12-09-2004, 05:30 PM
IMO I'd hold off on filling it until you get your RO/DI unit a few days won't kill you and may save you some headaches down the road.
Dave

Majestic_Aquariums
01-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Hey Mike,
How's the set-up comming along? I figure you've had water in it for almost a month now? Hope all is fine, looking forward to seeing it. A true example of a guy doing it all properly, in the beginning!
Thanks.Rob

Bob I
01-12-2005, 03:48 PM
FYI, I have been using straight tap water for more than three years with no ill effects at all. I am more than happy with it. :biggrin: