PDA

View Full Version : 2nd opinion wanted on nuisance growth (as viewed under magnification)

jostafew
11-21-2017, 02:24 AM
Hello everyone. I'm working to identify some stringy brown junk in the tank, looks a lot like this: https://www.reef2reef.com/attachments/substrate-jpg.298435/ After some incoclusive results googling references at the macro level I decided to get serious and borrow a friend's (old) microscope for a closer look.

Please have a look at the magnified picture below and let me know what you think. The closest thing I could find are diatoms, though I didn't really find a good match. Actually it was more a process of elimination as I think they look least like dinos and cyano, therefore I believe them to be diatoms.

Thanks in advance

hink
11-21-2017, 08:16 AM
Best guess from the first picture is Dinoflagellates brown stringy can be slimy. If I remember right I wiped it out by going dark on the tank for 6 days.

jostafew
11-21-2017, 04:07 PM
Best guess from the first picture is Dinoflagellates brown stringy can be slimy. If I remember right I wiped it out by going dark on the tank for 6 days.

I've dealt with Dinos before as well, but that time they were lighter color and kind of snotty on everything. I did a 10 day blackout in the tank to get rid of them that time. This is a different beast, though it may be another variety of Dino.