PDA

View Full Version : Help! skimmer choice

Dash
11-19-2017, 05:54 PM
I've been thinking of buying a Bubble Magus Curve 7, with a big factor being my budget. However I see the Omega 180 i Protein Skimmer on sale now at Premium Aquatics for $264 or about CAD340.

No brainer, right?
(For 72" 110 tank)

WarDog
11-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Both are decent and do the job. I think the Vertex is quieter.

DKoKoMan
11-19-2017, 06:52 PM
I know a lot of places carry the Bubble Magus Curve models. I’m guessing a lot has to do with them being a lower price option. I don’t personally have one, but I’m considering it for when I build my 210g (curve 9) based on price and gallon rating.

Dash
11-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Haha,you guys aren't helping:)
I find I'm being very indecisive with choices for my tank build, just not confident. Seems the Vertex has better user reviews & is being sold at $650 compared to $300 at JL. Is this truly a. Ase of you get what you pay for?
I prefer to buy local but it does seem this Vertex sale price is pretty good

Frogger
11-19-2017, 07:30 PM
Problem is when you purchase something from a US mail company is if you have a problem with it, doesn't work right or is defective.

I usually try to limit my US mail order purchases to things that are not mechanical or electronic. I find the few dollars I save isn't worth the risk.

Might be some good sales for Black Friday.

Animal-Chin
11-19-2017, 07:58 PM
Grab the biggest you can afford! I just put an alpha 170 on my 125 and my nitrates and phosphates are lower than when I carbon dosed. I bought it used so I could afford it. Retails for $1200 but I got it for $280. Just my $.02.

Dash
11-19-2017, 07:58 PM
This is my main worry as well keeping me from hitting the buy button. Having said that, it does seem like a reputable company

WarDog
11-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Personally I would go for the Omega. I've used them and they work great. They do take a while to tune, but they pull skimmate like a champ once it's set up.

DKoKoMan
11-19-2017, 10:00 PM
Can you not get a price match at J&L for ease of warranty if required. I like having something local if something goes sideways. But if you can afford it buy the vertex as that’s a great brand and has been around.

I wish they made a larger skimmer in the omega line as the alpha is insane for price.

gregzz4
11-19-2017, 11:00 PM
The Omega is very tempting. If I were in your shoes, I'd first contact PA and get an insured shipping quote (not USPS).
I'd then approach Jeff with the #s and see what he will do.
For ease of warranty I'd pay extra to deal locally.

Heck, if I wasn't so happy with my skimmer, I'd be doing all this right now!

Dash
11-19-2017, 11:51 PM
Shipping is not an issue. It's free shipping & I pick up at 5D Packages at Blaine all the time ( great place btw).
I'd hesitate to ask JL for a 50% discount though...

Frogger
11-20-2017, 12:04 AM
At $350 Canadian at Blaine. That a great deal. I have ordered from Premium Aquatics before. They are good.

Skimmer Juice
11-20-2017, 12:46 AM
did you look into cost of pump replacements for both skimmers ? Personally I would go vertex as I love the quality , you get a ti hardware instead of plastic , the skimmer body itself is better quality on the vertex as well . Both will work great but for the pricing being close to the same Im taking the vertex every time

Dash
11-20-2017, 02:41 AM
Ordered the Vertex. My husband took advantage of the situation & said it could be his Xmas gift so he doesn't have to shop for me. I jumped on it too as it sure beats going to the store to return stuff:razz:

USD265 no tax no shipping =CAD340.
BM 7 with tax from JL would be $335

DKoKoMan
11-20-2017, 05:28 AM
Sweet! I’m sure you will be happy with the Vertex as they have nice (expensive) but nice products. That being said that is a great deal! Why not take advantage and your husband got you a gift you are happy with :biggrin:

Dash
11-20-2017, 06:21 AM
I'm excited but a little nauseous too that I actually made a decision lol. Here's hoping that it will prove to be an awesome investment and the impeller won't snap in half after a month yeesh.

Thanks for the input everyone. Nice to have a sounding board instead of talking to myself. (My family tries to feign interest as they back away slowly)

DKoKoMan
11-20-2017, 03:43 PM
LOL. The good thing is you should be able to replace almost every piece on that skimmer being it is a vertex :smile: looking forward to seeing how this performs for you!

Animal-Chin
11-20-2017, 04:14 PM
Vertex are awesome, have no fear!

Like someone mentioned thought hey do take while to hone in. I'd set mine up, get a good skim going and then an hour later it would be totally overflowed. I'd have it rockin for 2 days then ooops, over flowed again. After a couple of weeks of tinkering I found teh sweet spot and it's been a beast ever since. Best skimmer I've owned hands down....:biggrin: