PDA

View Full Version : Pump silencing question

Vagabond
12-06-2004, 04:26 PM
I have an in sump skimmer, Euroreef ES5-3 running on a dolphin DP560 pump.

I love the skimmer but the vibratory noise from the pump is a liitle loud.

Anybody have some reef safe solotions for padding between the pump and the glass bottom of my sump to reduce noice/vibration.

I was thinking a piece of neoprene but did not know if this would degrade over time and be toxic.

Ideas/suggestions/experience appreciated

TIA

albert_dao
12-06-2004, 04:29 PM
I use foam filter pads man (Aquaclear 300). Seems to work fine.

G1GY
12-06-2004, 04:46 PM
You can also use a large media bag with some fine aregonite in it as a sand bag under it. Sand is the bomb for deadening viabration and noise. (That's if you have the room for a small flat sandbag.) :smile:

Vagabond
12-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys :cool:

I have a couple extra filter socks kicking around so I will try Gary's sandbag idea first. I love to try ideas I haven't heard before and there's lots of room in my the sump.

Cheers

input80
03-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Sorry to bring this really old thread back to life. Would like to know what new & successful, DIY ideas anyone might have. I have the sand, what would be the best thing to keep it contained. I have a Euroreef RS135 that I would like to sound dampen, obviously reef safe. I have filter floss, wouldn't I need to change it out every so often?

patpare
03-07-2015, 08:03 PM
You can go to the dollar store and buy some silicone hot mats.

rishu_pepper
03-07-2015, 08:07 PM
I hear filter pads work very well for this application.

Nice necro, only 10+ years too late :wink:

neoh
03-07-2015, 10:38 PM
I raise my pumps off the ground with a DIY stand using some pvc plumbing as the feet and attaching it to a piece of light diffuser plastic. Works really well, and allows for flow underneath it, and you can raise it as little or as high as you wish. I have it on both my skimmer pump and return pump, and makes them virtually silent.

hillegom
03-07-2015, 10:43 PM
If you install some soft, silicone tubing between the out of the pump and the hard pvc plumbing, the pump will be silent as well. That is if the pump hangs from the pvc. Keeping it off the bottom will help a lot if the sand trick doesn't work. And the silicone tubing keeps vibrations from running up the pvc

input80
03-07-2015, 11:01 PM
I just reread my post,,, it is very misleading. I have a Euroreef RS135 that is sitting on the sump bottom & causing a humming sound. What I would like to know is, what can I use for a "sandbag" if I make one. I have filter floss, if I use that, wouldn't I have to change it out every once in a while? I am hoping for something a bit more permanent,,,,,, I have seen that some people use neoprene mouse pads or silicone oven pads (from the dollar store), are these reef safe?

hillegom
03-08-2015, 01:40 AM
I don't know about neoprene, but they make wetsuits out of that. You would think that a diver, wearing a suit, would not be exposing his skin, to a carcinogen nor a poison. The suit makers would not be in business long.
Oven mitts: would you wear a mitt and pull an apple pie out of the oven, accidentally touch the pie, and then eat it if it had a poison? The tank is sealed with 100% silicone, and if the mitts say the same, they would be good in the tank.

Myka
03-09-2015, 04:06 AM
Woah, decade old thread!!! Nice!

I had a EuroReef that was pretty noisy, so I turned it over and put a little blob of silicone on 4 corners of the bottom of the skimmer body and 4 corners of the bottom of the pump and let it dry before putting it back in the sump. Worked like a charm.