PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer suggestions for 170g?

fadecase
11-11-2017, 12:57 AM
been cycling my tank with live rock while i am setting up the sump, and already got some green hair algae maybe from the rocks i got . I haven't bought a skimmer yet and wondering what you guys suggest for my 170 gallon with a 55 gallon sump thanks for the info

robbie
11-11-2017, 02:24 AM
If you can get your hands on one, get a bashsea twisted skimmer 8-24. Hard to find in canada. I have a 6-24 for my 90 gallon and its unbelievable. The only downside is the beckett jet needs to be cleaned once in a while but they made it easy to get into. I paired mine with a sicce pump and its quiet. I have had vortex skimmers in the past but the bashsea has blown me away. I have had it for about 8 months.

I wish I could get a larger tank like yours. Good luck and I hope it works out for ya

Thats just my 2 cents
Cheers

fadecase
11-13-2017, 05:24 AM
sweet thanks yea i had the vertex before was pretty good but these sound good i need to do some research . Always had one big skimmer but now was thinking of doing two smaller ones any suggestions on that? Where did you find it in canada btw?:biggrin:

Northern Reefer
11-13-2017, 11:48 AM
I have the Reef Octopus 150 sss Elite and could not be happier. I would go for the 200 as I am only running 150 gallons total. These are easy to clean, quiet and produce a lot of skimmate. The new ones come apex ready as well.

robbie
11-13-2017, 06:09 PM
sweet thanks yea i had the vertex before was pretty good but these sound good i need to do some research . Always had one big skimmer but now was thinking of doing two smaller ones any suggestions on that? Where did you find it in canada btw?:biggrin:

I never really did find it in canada. I ordered it from an american online retailer. Theres not a lot of info on them so I took a chance and I love it. Paired with the right pump there not at all loud like you read people saying online about beckett style skimmers. But really any skimmer these days are pretty good. Opinions will vary on personal preference as always.

From what I understand and this is from no knowledge in running 2 skimmers, is that running 2 isnt ideal. Basically the one thats a bit more efficient will be working really hard and the other will be doing nothing. At least thats what some people I know around the hobby have said.

Cheers

WarDog
11-13-2017, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't recommend getting anything that is 'hard to find' or not available in Canada, unless you have deep pockets.

Do get something that your LFS stocks and has parts for.

robbie
11-13-2017, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't recommend getting anything that is 'hard to find' or not available in Canada, unless you have deep pockets.

Do get something that your LFS stocks and has parts for.

Actually Bashsea is and extremely reputable company and you can get parts faster than most local stores. They are a commercial build company that now (last few years) are in the home aquarium business. Also the skimmer without the pump was about 250 dollars and with 500 (pump I bought locally, which is the part that fails) so its right in the neighborhood. I would recommend doing research before making unfounded recommendations.

Deep pockets are not required for this skimmer.

WarDog
11-13-2017, 07:12 PM
Hard to find in canada.

I never really did find it in canada. I ordered it from an american online retailer.

I would recommend doing research before making unfounded recommendations.

I stand by my recommendation. Nothing beats going to your LFS and picking up a part off the shelf. I have been in the situation of needing a part and having to wait for a delivery.

robbie
11-13-2017, 07:27 PM
I stand by my recommendation. Nothing beats going to your LFS and picking up a part off the shelf. I have been in the situation of needing a part and having to wait for a delivery.

I understand that. I have a go to lfs for everything. I have owned all the common skimmers. Just giving him another option that i absolutly love. Besides its the pump that makes everything with the skimmer. But like i said in my first post any skimmer nowadays is good.

Plus i have had to wait for parts on common brands as well. Mostly cause of crappy build quality and needing the part that everyone else needs..

But i do agree with you. Wherever possible buy local. But sometimes something worth trying comes along.

Many choices OP. Whatever you pick will work

Myka
11-13-2017, 09:25 PM
Skimmers are pretty much all the same these days. You buy the pump, not the skimmer. Look for something that has pump parts readily available either online or locally. I always suggest supporting your LFS provided you have a decent one nearby.

Most of my clients use Bubble Magus. It's a Chinese brand, it's not the quietest option, however I've found them to be very reliable.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk