PDA

View Full Version : So you want to add an angelfish to your reef??

Myka
11-06-2017, 05:56 PM
This is the risk you're taking...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/f4241d5fec79f2566046742b74073e09.jpg

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Animal-Chin
11-06-2017, 06:27 PM
OOOOF! What kind of angel was it?

sobe
11-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Ouch. I have a flame angel so far he has not nipped on polyps or i havent seen him. But i do not have much sps anyways. Fingers crossed

Tigweldpro
11-06-2017, 06:40 PM
Angel fish...... You sure it wasn't a devil fish?

WarDog
11-06-2017, 06:44 PM
C'mon..... you know better.

Myka
11-06-2017, 06:47 PM
It was a Multibar Angelfish. He did that damage in about a week. Little prick.
C'mon..... you know better.I know, right? :lol:

smokinreefer
11-06-2017, 06:50 PM
That sucks!

I'm a big fan of angels...
Have kept dwarves...
Was planning on keeping an emperor from juvenile onwards...

Curious, what size and type of angel?
What's size and type of reef?
Feeding schedule?

Too bad for those pieces, but I'm thinking you won't give up on angels!

corpusse
11-06-2017, 08:52 PM
I've never had a centropyge but had good luck with Genicanthus in the past. The masked swallowtails I kept were 100% reef safe (for me).

Myka
11-06-2017, 10:58 PM
That sucks!

I'm a big fan of angels...
Have kept dwarves...
Was planning on keeping an emperor from juvenile onwards...

Curious, what size and type of angel?
What's size and type of reef?
Feeding schedule?

Too bad for those pieces, but I'm thinking you won't give up on angels!

I had a Flame in my 90-gallon SPS tank, and it bit all the Acros. It didn't do any visible damage though.

The one this damage was the one in your avatar - Multibar Angelfish. He's about 2.5". Reef is SPS-dominant 70-gallons. Angelfish didn't touch the few LPS or odd Zoas. He didn't eat any fish food - not even live clams or live blackworms.

I gave him to a client and he's in a 8' FOWLR now, and a week in he started eating fish food. What a jerk.

Oh I give up on Angels. I was thinking of trying another Multibar, but this one cost me about $1500 in Acros (that pic only shows half the damage), so maybe I'm done with Angels. :lol:

I've never had a centropyge but had good luck with Genicanthus in the past. The masked swallowtails I kept were 100% reef safe (for me).

My tank isn't big enough for Genicanthus. Indeed they are totally reef-safe in my experience. They don't look like Angelfish though...doesn't satisfy the Angel craving.

titus
11-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Hello

Wow that's quite a bit of damage. Imagine what happens if it nibs on your finger.

Titus

Myka
11-07-2017, 01:08 PM
Hello

Wow that's quite a bit of damage. Imagine what happens if it nibs on your finger.

Titus

:lol:

albert_dao
11-07-2017, 02:48 PM
Soft coral reef for round two? Best of both world:

1. you get to keep your angel.
2. you get to upgrade to the best corals in the hobby, bar none.

Animal-Chin
11-07-2017, 04:21 PM
I have this awesome gorgonia and like 4 days ago my Blue Tang decides to start nipping at it! A tang? What a world...:lol:

straightrazorguy
11-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Sorry about you multibar trouble Mindy! I have owned a multibar for a couple of years now. I bought it as a juvenile (loonie-size) and he started eating frozen in quarantine. He does nip at SPS, especially Pocillopora and Cyphastrea, but doesn't seem to do do any damage. For over a year my millis had o polyp extension during the day, but now they are coming around. I feel for you, because I love both my multibar and my SPS. It would be a tough choice...

tang daddy
11-07-2017, 09:31 PM
Ok now this scares me, Lps I don’t mind nipping but my sps oh no... although the blue face is most interested in the pellets, that’s all he knows for now, mysis he will pick at abit. I will have to keep a close eye on him.

Sorry about your losses.

Myka
11-08-2017, 03:16 AM
Soft coral reef for round two? Best of both world:

1. you get to keep your angel.
2. you get to upgrade to the best corals in the hobby, bar none.

Bahahahaha ha! !!! Uh....SPS are the ONLY corals! :p

I have this awesome gorgonia and like 4 days ago my Blue Tang decides to start nipping at it! A tang? What a world...:lol:

Oh yeah, but Hippos are like the least reef safe Tangs there are. They are bad fishies.

Sorry about you multibar trouble Mindy! I have owned a multibar for a couple of years now. I bought it as a juvenile (loonie-size) and he started eating frozen in quarantine. He does nip at SPS, especially Pocillopora and Cyphastrea, but doesn't seem to do do any damage. For over a year my millis had o polyp extension during the day, but now they are coming around. I feel for you, because I love both my multibar and my SPS. It would be a tough choice...

Lucky you found such a little one!!! I'm not willing to give up PE for an Angelfish. I was hoping I'd get lucky. He's happy now in a really big tank so I guess we both win. He's a $1500 fish now... :lol:

Ok now this scares me, Lps I don’t mind nipping but my sps oh no... although the blue face is most interested in the pellets, that’s all he knows for now, mysis he will pick at abit. I will have to keep a close eye on him.

Sorry about your losses.

A Blueface??? Ok you're just plain nuts... :eek:

Dez
11-09-2017, 05:16 PM
Sorry to hear Mindy

I’ve had my majestic angel in my tank for close to 8 years now. I’ve been fortunate. I put it in my frag tank for close to a month to monitor it to make sure it wasn’t a nipper. I also put a clam in there. So far so good. He is the biggest fish in the tank.

Myka
11-10-2017, 03:32 AM
Hi Dez!!!! Long time no see! I'm glad to hear your Majestic is still behaving!

Dez
11-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Hi Dez!!!! Long time no see! I'm glad to hear your Majestic is still behaving!

Yes, it has been a while. The majestic angel is doing great, however, corals on the other hand have had a tad bit more damage than your angel did on your tank.....

Dez
11-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Yes, it has been a while. The majestic angel is doing great, however, corals on the other hand have had a tad bit more damage than your angel did on your tank.....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171110/537468127d0abced4fa6b4942b36d4eb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Myka
11-11-2017, 03:14 AM
Oh! Wth Dez? ?

mike31154
11-11-2017, 03:36 AM
Singapore (Vermiculated) Angel in my tank for years, model citizen, but I'm not big on sps, just montipora. Same boat as Dez though, a few weeks ago all the montis started melting, none left now. I dosed some magnesium a while back but starting to think it may be my latest batch of salt mix that's the culprit. 2 water changes & each time the montis started sliming.

smokinreefer
11-11-2017, 04:00 AM
Oooh a multibar... One of my all time favorite dwarf...
Hence my avatar... That was one I had many years ago!

Too bad yours didn't take to prepared foods... But yeah after your experience I'd probably pass up angels too (for a while! Lol)

I hear ya about those reef safe gen.species... just don't have that angelfish look. :P

Tang daddy, hope that blueface does well.
My large Angel will most likely be an emperor, passing up the blue face mainly because you don't read about many reefers trying them, so I'm too nervous about trying one.

Regals and majestics are beauts, but I'm going to try limit my attempts at one large Angel only.

H2o2
11-11-2017, 01:04 PM
Have had my Golden for about 4 years now and she has been a model citizen only thing she is shy

smokinreefer
11-12-2017, 06:24 AM
Yes another must have for me. The Golden dwarf.

Cujo#31
11-15-2017, 09:50 PM

I had a Powder Blue start violating my green slimer. Into the sump, off to a new FOWLR home. So, yes Tangs can be guilty of nipping SPS as I have learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cujo#31
11-15-2017, 09:56 PM
Bahahahaha ha! !!! Uh....SPS are the ONLY corals! :p

I almost 100% agree with you, however there are some stunning LPS gems I'll allow in my tank. The ONLY softies I'll allow are Rics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk