PDA

View Full Version : Tank on hardwood floor

Zarstar
10-09-2017, 11:48 PM
Moving to a new house and the tank is going to be on hardwood floor. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to use a rug or something else under the tank for water spillage. Anyone do something similar? Is it even worth worrying about?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

DKoKoMan
10-09-2017, 11:59 PM
I put some of the excercise foam mats under my stand and overhanging the floor a bit. I haven’t had any issues yet but water and hardwood don’t mix. My wife was super concerned as our basement is entirely hardwood.

Frogger
10-10-2017, 03:15 AM
I wouldn't put a rug under it. If it gets wet it will take forever to dry and the water will seep under the tank. I created a mold just a bit bigger then the tank and poured a thin layer 1/2" self leveling concrete on top of the hardwood floor. This gave me a perfectly level solid base. I removed the mold and painted the concrete black to match the stand. I put down some adhesive shelf paper to create a barrier between the floor and the concrete in case I ever want to remove the concrete. Spills are easy to clean, just put down a towel when doing tank maintenance. No water damage to date (knock on wood).

Gp Scott
10-10-2017, 05:19 AM
Water will Definitely wreck your hardwood floors and if you have a steel stand that touch’s and gets wet it will rust and stain the floor that happen to me years ago I wouldn’t put a big rug down just something to line the stand and any spills just clean up right away

Zarstar
10-10-2017, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't put a rug under it. If it gets wet it will take forever to dry and the water will seep under the tank. I created a mold just a bit bigger then the tank and poured a thin layer 1/2" self leveling concrete on top of the hardwood floor. This gave me a perfectly level solid base. I removed the mold and painted the concrete black to match the stand. I put down some adhesive shelf paper to create a barrier between the floor and the concrete in case I ever want to remove the concrete. Spills are easy to clean, just put down a towel when doing tank maintenance. No water damage to date (knock on wood).I've actually read your comment on a few other threads lol sounds like a great idea! I don't know if it's what I want to do, just because it's our first house and it's fairly new and if I screw something up the wife will never forgive me. I don't think the floor will be unlevel but I've read some other threads and some people have concern over the weight of the tank.

My tank is a 50g corner tank so I think it should be fine. Maybe. I want to put it in the basement but the hardwood is sitting on some kind of foam, wood or other material (won't know until moving day when I can take off a small end piece and check), not the concrete itself. Any idea if the weight would cause that to deform from the weight?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk