PDA

View Full Version : New BTA

OCDP
12-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Just thought I would share my new BTA with you all. Sadly my two tank-raised Ocellaris show absolutely no interest in it at all. If anyone is looking to trade clownfish or wants to purchase a pair let me know. They are in great health and are extremely hardy.

Click the link to see the pictures :biggrin:
http://www.sendpix.com/albums/04120411/lstipgtstw/

Cheers,
Scott

muck
12-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Give your pair of clowns time to come around.
Sometimes it takes a month or two before they will host in it.
Then again sometimes they never will either. :confused:

OCDP
12-04-2004, 10:27 PM
Yeah it sure is a bummer.. but I expected this anyways. They are Ocellaris to begin with, which isn't a natural host to the BTA , but oh well. And because they are tank-raised it makes it even more difficult! I think Wai has some True Percs.. and he has them in with BTA's so if I got one of them, my chances may be better! Plus.. I wanted True Percs from the start. Like I said... anyone who wants some tank-raised Ocellaris, just let me know... of course I will be selling them cheap.

Scott

AJ_77
12-04-2004, 11:56 PM
That large pink plastic fish near the anemone might be frightening them - like really, really scaring them... and keeping them far, far away.

I doubt they sleep much either, with that thing in there.

:smile:

OCDP
12-05-2004, 12:26 AM
That plastic clown is out.. been out since first thing this morning after the shots were taken. A big update though... the female is definitely curious of it now... she is going by the foot, and hovering by the anemone ... she keeps nipping at it too, she will dash into it and dash right out, very amusing! This is definitely a good sign... people are telling me that within the next few days I may see her hosting it. I got really lucky here... tank-raised and they are Ocellaris... but in a 20g tank, and no other corals... they were bound to notice it.

albert_dao
12-05-2004, 02:56 AM
We had some true percs at Gold Aquariums last week for $10 a pop...

OCDP
12-05-2004, 04:56 AM
Albert, are you kidding me?! oh man!! I really need to call you guys to see what's in... I would have gotten them guaranteed!

Do you ever know what you get in next? I would definitely like to get some True Percs. Do you guys do trade in's at all? Or would you take a pair of clowns for free? I have tried to get rid of them , but no luck.

Scott

G1GY
12-05-2004, 07:36 AM
Why not give them a while to come around? I've heard that they can sometimes take months for the little buggers to find a BTA that's only inches away. :smile:

I just picked up a couple of Ocellaris clowns from gold on friday and guess what?

:biggrin:
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1376Tank6.jpg

How lucky is that!?! :biggrin:

OCDP
12-05-2004, 05:04 PM
That is awesome! Congrats to you! The female is still showing interest in the anemone.. she just wont put herself in it. She seems to be pecking at the anemone (sometimes quite hard) and she rubs here face only in it.. not her body... does this sound like normal behaviour before a clown starts to host?

I'll keep you all updated (with pics)

Cap'n
12-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Albert, are you kidding me?! oh man!! I really need to call you guys to see what's in... I would have gotten them guaranteed!

Do you ever know what you get in next? I would definitely like to get some True Percs. Do you guys do trade in's at all? Or would you take a pair of clowns for free? I have tried to get rid of them , but no luck.

Scott

I'd love to take them if you decide they are not keepers.
Just what I was looking for.

Cpt Clownless

OCDP
12-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Really?! Well.. these are tank-raised clowns.. very hard. They are in excellent health as well. I payed $30 for both... I was thinking of selling them both for $15 or even $10 ... just need them off my hands.

When were you wanting them? I was planning on getting True Percs after Christmas...probably right after new years. If you can wait that long, they are yours... just let me know!! And if you do not agree with the price.. just let me know, we will work something out :biggrin:

Scott

Bob I
12-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Don't get rid of them just because they show no interest in the BTA. Tony says his took seven months to take to the BTA. I have two Ocellaris that show no interest in my RBTA which is only inches away. They host with a closed brain and a candycane instead. Remember clowns are very engaging, but very dumb. Can we expect more from an animal with a brain the size of a pea, and millions of years of instinctve behaviour behind them. :question:

OCDP
12-05-2004, 08:52 PM
Bob, I am not getting rid of them just because they are not taking to the BTA. I didn't even plan on getting a BTA, but the price was too hard to pass up. I was going to trade/sell my clowns for True Percs anyways... so it's not that they wont take to the BTA.. it's just I want True Percs :biggrin:

So like I said, offer is still on the table for the clowns.

marie
12-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Just out of curiosity, why are you so definite about true percs when sometimes nobody can tell the difference, or at least the differences are very small

OCDP
12-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Ummm... well for one thing I think there is a pretty big difference between the 2 species IMO. And why am I such a criminal for wanting True Percs? Honestly... I keep getting these responses like I am doing something wrong! If you must know, it's the coloration of true percs that I like much more... Ocellaris do not have the coloration a True Perc has... Ocellaris tend to be more of a brownish/orange color as True Percs keep a nice solid black, white and orange coloration.

marie
12-05-2004, 10:03 PM
:lol: I don't think your a criminal for wanting true percs :lol:
I realy was just curious. I assumed you picked the ocellaris clowns out yourself and liked the way they looked at the store. Just goes to show that my 17yr old daughter was right " never assume anything, it just makes an a$$ out of u and me" :razz:

OCDP
12-05-2004, 11:37 PM
haha well the thing is, when I bought them at the LFS (big als) they were labelled Tank-Raised Percula... and I had no idea there was false and true.. so of course, I thought I was getting what I wanted... but I wasnt! lol so that is the whole reason for trying to sell them or trade.

G1GY
12-05-2004, 11:46 PM
CRIMINAL! :lol:

OCDP
12-06-2004, 03:39 PM
LOL Yes well what can I say, I'm a heartless little man... lol

Anyways... offer is STILL on the table for the 2 tank-raised Ocellaris.

Quick question to you all... is it possible for a BTA to have a green tint/hue to it? Mine definitely has more green on it now than it did on Friday. It looks fantastic, especially under actinic lighting.. it just glows ! The green is really nice, and I would like to see it stay this way if possible... but is it even normal for a BTA to develop green coloration?

AJ_77
12-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Just give the clowns to Tim already... :mrgreen: ... call it a baby gift.

And yes they sure can be green/ish, supposedly that's one of the more common colours for BTAs, although you rarely see other than brown or "rose."

Check out the one at the bottom of this thread:
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=100240#100240

OCDP
12-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Hey Alan.. I suppose if I am that desperate to get rid of them, then maybe I should just give them away...

Alan, that BTA looks exactly like mine... same form, coloration , etc... mine is just a lot smaller ! :smile:

Sorry, who was it that was wanting these clowns? Let's try to work something out ASAP, if possible!

muck
12-06-2004, 04:19 PM
Hey Alan.. I suppose if I am that desperate to get rid of them, then maybe I should just give them away...

Alan, that BTA looks exactly like mine... same form, coloration , etc... mine is just a lot smaller ! :smile:

Sorry, who was it that was wanting these clowns? Let's try to work something out ASAP, if possible!

I'd love to take them if you decide they are not keepers.
Just what I was looking for.

Cpt Clownless

OCDP
12-06-2004, 04:21 PM
:lol: Thanks! lol

OCDP
12-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Just a quick update for you all.. the BTA is doing great still... and my tank-raised Ocellaris took to it! She doesn't like to stay put in it all day though.. not yet anyways. She sleeps in it now though, which is really neat. The whole clownfish/anemone relationship is what got me into this hobby.. so seeing the clown sleeping in the BTA was quite the sight for me to see !

I will post some new pictures today (oh yeah, I got this one from Golds..)

G1GY
12-12-2004, 06:49 AM
Update!

My two little Ocellaris clowns pictured on page 1, now actualy feed the BTA!
:smilecol:

It's the best thing to watch. When I put frozen mysis in, they grab a couple of the biggest ones (Way to big for these little guys to swallow) and race over to the BTA and stick it right to it's tentacles!

Way too cool!

:smile: