PDA

View Full Version : Help before I take my camera in for service

gregzz4
10-05-2017, 04:11 AM
I have a point and shoot that has been awesome for 5-6 years. It was top of the line new. I want to keep it. It has numerous settings for tank stuff, and has been our staple camera on trips. Fits in my pocket, takes 1080p movies in stereo; panorama, etc etc. Great camera. Was $300-400 new.

Now it suddenly takes blurry pics. On it's own it won't focus.
It will pretend to focus, but the resulting pic is blurry.

Before I take it in for servicing etc, any thoughts?

WarDog
10-05-2017, 04:20 AM
Olympus TG4. There's my thought.

crimper
10-05-2017, 05:51 AM
Please provide the make/model of your camera so we can figure it out.

I'm guessing that you have accidentally enabled manual focus.

gregzz4
10-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Please provide the make/model of your camera so we can figure it out.

I'm guessing that you have accidentally enabled manual focus.
Not so. I even reset it to factory defaults just in case something stupid like that happened. It will attempt to focus, and sometimes act as if it has, but the pics still come out 'out of focus'.

Sony DSC-WX5

kien
10-06-2017, 12:15 AM
sounds like it has simply given up the ghost. Time to use that product replacement plan you hopefully purchased.

Craigdillman
10-06-2017, 07:43 PM
I know this won't help but one trip me and my wife were on , she started taking pictures and they were blurry and out of focus and basically crappy i was messing with all the settings ... couldn't figure it out figured it was shot... turned the camera over and her sunscreen fingerprints where all over the lens ... had a good laugh cleaned the camera then it was all good

The Codfather
10-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Now it suddenly takes blurry pics. On it's own it won't focus.
It will pretend to focus, but the resulting pic is blurry.

Before I take it in for servicing etc, any thoughts?

Take your finger off the lens.......
sorry, had to say it.

WarDog
10-06-2017, 09:05 PM
Lol you people.

Almost as helpful as 'Did you try to unplug it and plug it back in?'

crimper
10-07-2017, 02:38 AM
Did you try this?

================

Image Is Out of Focus
Area in face recognition square is out of focus.

This may be fixed by selecting the Steady Shot and Anti-Blur Mode option in your camera settings.

gregzz4
10-07-2017, 10:09 PM
Did you try this?

================

Image Is Out of Focus
Area in face recognition square is out of focus.

This may be fixed by selecting the Steady Shot and Anti-Blur Mode option in your camera settings.
These features are automatic with this camera, but thanks for the effort.
I'll try the 3 different focus setting when I have time, but it was still set to 'all' when I checked it this morning.

gregzz4
10-07-2017, 10:10 PM
had a good laugh cleaned the camera then it was all good
I'm planning on trying this when I get some time. Thanks for the good thought Craig

gregzz4
10-26-2017, 06:30 PM
I know this won't help but one trip me and my wife were on , she started taking pictures and they were blurry and out of focus and basically crappy i was messing with all the settings ... couldn't figure it out figured it was shot... turned the camera over and her sunscreen fingerprints where all over the lens ... had a good laugh cleaned the camera then it was all good
Good call Craig. I guess the years added up to a dirty lens that even a cloth wouldn't clean.
I made a solution in a shooter glass. 3/4 99% Isopropanol, 1/4 warm water and 2 drops dish soap. Swirl to mix. Used a cotton swab to gently rub in a circular motion, then a new swab to polish while it evaporated.
Not 100% yet but the focus is damn close.
I'll go at it some more when my injury gets better.
Thanks Bud :mrgreen:

WarDog
10-26-2017, 06:51 PM
After all this and it's a dirty lens? Seriously dude?

gregzz4
10-26-2017, 07:19 PM
After all this and it's a dirty lens? Seriously dude?Didn't look dirty 'till I started wiping it