PDA

View Full Version : Remora skimmer powerhead keeps sucking in snails

canuckzilla
12-04-2004, 08:40 PM
The pump (powerhead) on my hang on Remora skimmer is sucking in about 1 trochu snail a week (lost 3 so far, with the latest yesterday morning). I'll wake up in the morning and find a snail perfectly wedged into the intake of the skimmer pump. I'm guessing they climb on to the pump from the glass then crawl around to the intake and they can't back out.

I have a couple of 201 powerheads for current they have never sucked in a snail.

Everything on the Remora has been installed right out of the box without any modificatins and has been on my tank for about 4 weeks.

Any tips on how to stop snails from getting sucked into a powerhead ?

thanks for the help
Gary

G1GY
12-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Are you using the suction cup support bracket on the powerhead? If so just get rid of it and let the powerhead hang on it's own. It should hang just a bit away from the glass, therefore making it a little harder for them to get on it because of the gap you create by not using the bracket. I don't use the bracket and haven't lost a single snail yet. :smile:

canuckzilla
12-04-2004, 11:35 PM
The powerhead is hanging on its own with out the use of a bracket or suction cup. However, the way the remora is designed the powerhead hangs pretty close to the glass.

I haven't added additonal tubing beyond the 2inch extender that came in the box.

Maybe I have that rare subspecies of trochu/agile snail....the acrobat snail.

albert_dao
12-05-2004, 12:16 AM
The powerhead is hanging on its own with out the use of a bracket or suction cup. However, the way the remora is designed the powerhead hangs pretty close to the glass.

I haven't added additonal tubing beyond the 2inch extender that came in the box.

Maybe I have that rare subspecies of trochu/agile snail....the acrobat snail.

Hey Gary, what intake strainer are you using for the MaxiJet? The long cone shaped undergravel adapter or the cylindrical strainer? You should be using the second. The cone adapter has too concentrated a suction point.

Beyond that, you got me there...

canuckzilla
12-05-2004, 03:38 AM
ughhh I feel like such a dumb ass, but for the sake of 'community' I'll share the pm I sent to Albert at Golds.

-------

oh man....I swore I didn't get one of those with the remora. So I
double checked the box and the drawer where I stored all the 'extra
stuff'. Sure enough...there was the strainer. That's what happens
when you install the cool new skimmer after putting in way to many hours
at work.

I just finished totally rearranging the whole tank to give the skimmer
more room too!! crap.

thanks
- Gary & 'the snails'

AJ_77
12-05-2004, 03:58 AM
Community, shmoonity - save face instead. :mrgreen:

We've all acknowledged a bonehead move every now and again... good to learn by.

canuckzilla
12-05-2004, 04:35 AM
Inspriation for a good new discussion.

What are some of the funniest or most embarrasing things you have done while maintaining your reef tank? (at times I feel like I could keep a thread like this going for years just by myself :eek: )

Delphinus
12-06-2004, 06:17 AM
How long you got? This could take a while ...

Ok, here's one. I've been trying to set up a frag tank for a king's age (probably something like 12 to 16 weeks). Everytime I just about get it online, something happens, and I have to abort, rethink things, try again after a few days.

All I had to do tonight was hook up one little hose to one little hose barb that's threaded into a bulkhead on the main sump.

The catch: there's a small piece of tubing on the hose barb already from the time I had to cut the tube after the last aborted attempt.

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle. Grumble, I hate trying to pry hose off these stupid little barbs. Wiggle, wiggle, SNAP. Oh crud, that didn't sound good.

Yup, a little 6" crack above the bulkhead on the sump.

Grumble, swear, grumble. Off to the garage to find a piece of scrap glass to silicone over the crack.

Find a piece, clean it off, scrape scrape scrape the old silicone off, polish some more, etc.

Ok. ready to smear the silicone on.

Grunt, man this silicone is tough. Ok, old tube, throw it out, get another.

Smear smear smear. Now over to sump to press it on.

Hmmm, can't squish the air bubbles out. Ding :idea: Idea. Go get the clamps.

Clamp the glass. Grunt. Stupid stiff clamps, they're all rusty (just like the rest of my tools. How did they got all rusty anyhow. Just because my tool room is also my tank room .... :rolleyes: ). Ok, clamp clamp clamp.

SNAP.

Now the crack goes all the way to the top of the sump.

Dog gone it, I says. Oh well, the patch will hold.

Um .... I guess the dripping coming out from the patched glass tells me otherwise.

Hmmmm now what? Take one of my 10g's and use it to replace the 50g of sump?

Ok. New idea. Drain the sump, find another piece of glass. Clean it off, patch the inside of the sump.

Hey, is this silicone safe to use? Wife asks. Of course it is. See, it says "100% silicone." Everyone knows that's the stuff to use. "Not for use on aquariums" wife points to the instructions. Um. They put that there so nobody can sue them. Yup, yup, uh-huh, uh-huh. Not to worry. (ok, so now I'm worried.. But must put on brave face.)

But, two patches of glass and a full tube of silicone. Surely this will work out (well I guess I'll find out when it comes time to refill the sump in a few days. :eek: )

Moral of the story:

- don't start something at 10pm on a Sunday. The stores are closed if you have to run out and buy a whole new tank in a hurry. IT DOESN'T MATTER if it's "connect this hose to this hose barb." What could possibly go wrong? Apparently ... A LOT. A @%$^%$!!!! lot can go wrong.

- Silicone is nice to have onhand.

- So are scrap pieces of glass.

- Smile! Because Santa may be watching, and may not like to hear creative ways of expressing frustration.

Sigh. So still no frag tank for me. And a drained sump until the silicone dries.

Wife asks, "have you heard of other people successfully fixing cracks like this?" "Oh sure. All the time. Not to worry."