PDA

View Full Version : KNO3 supplier in southern alberta

cchomistek
09-21-2017, 05:07 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows where a guy can buy pure KNO3 for dosing nitrates when your tank has low nitrates but high phosphates to allow tge phosphates to be depleted.

Thanks

ReefMadness
09-21-2017, 05:21 PM
potassium nitrate has been illegal in Canada since around 2009 so pure KNO3 isn't an option. i went through this a few months ago and in the end wound up just buying spectracide from amazon.com. it costed a little more due to exchange and shipping but i imagine i won't ever need to replace it.
also, seachem makes nitrate (and phosphorus in case you ever needed it) that can be used in the interim but its far less cost effective than specracide.

Frogger
09-22-2017, 04:20 AM
It is not illegal in Canada only controlled. Mix it with a little diesel fuel and you got yourself a pretty powerful bomb (Oklahoma Bomber)

I got mine from a local fresh water fish supply company. They use it in fresh water to grow plants.

You will need to sign your life away and I believe can only purchase a pound at a time. Although a pound of KNO3 will last you a long time.

If you want really pure KNO3 you can purchase is from a scientific supply company like Fisher Scientific (>99% pure). The amount of KNO3 you will be adding to your tank I am not sure you need the purest form.

adam84
09-22-2017, 11:48 AM
I used calcium nitrate and it worked well, easy to get and you won't have to worry about a little extra calcium, I ordered mine online though the plant guy.

Myka
09-22-2017, 01:17 PM
Potassium nitrate, Sodium nitrate, and Calcium nitrate are all perfectly good options.

As mentioned, find a freshwater planted tank fertilizer.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk