PDA

View Full Version : Water odour

shrimp
09-17-2017, 05:12 PM
I have a friend in Calgary (Foothills no. 1 area) who recently started a new reef tank. Hi water supply for the house is via well water. He is using a 4 stage R/O DI system to filter his well water. The water has an extremely strong rotten egg odor (iron?? and/or sulfur??). Once the water is filtered through the R/O filtration system the water still smells like rotten eggs. Is this normal or should the filtration system get rid of the smell?

Any suggestions/comments?

WarDog
09-17-2017, 06:12 PM
As far as I'm aware, all smells should be removed.

dino
09-17-2017, 07:07 PM
is he running carbon because that should remove it

corpusse
09-18-2017, 03:18 AM
My parents have a strong sulfur smell coming out of their well. They spent who knows what on new water filtration systems (for the house not reef) and they claim it's gone but really it's still there. They've just accepted it or don't notice it years later. If you even wash your hands there or especially brush your teeth you notice right away.

There is nothing wrong with their well it's just there is sulfur in it. It's even safe to drink from the tap, not that they do.

That being said I actually kept my corals and fish there for over a month between moves and I don't recall there being any smell after using my RO/DI unit there. I switched the filters right before and right after though so I'm not sure how much long term usage you get out of them. When they change the carbon blocks in their house filtration system the smell is not as bad but it doesn't completely go away and comes back strong quick.

I guess this post doesn't really help you. I am 90% certain there was no smell from my 0TDS ro/di and 100% certain it was safe for fish and corals. Is it 0TDS with the smell?

shrimp
09-18-2017, 03:24 AM
He is running the one carbon filter as it is in the set.

Gp Scott
09-18-2017, 05:47 AM
Well water is sometimes tough to work with I'm on well water with a high Tds reading of over 975 with some odor. I go thru a lot of filters and di resin I actually recharge my resin to save but for carbon filters read the labeling on them some are better for odor and some are better for Chlorine I get mine usually from Canadian tire I use a puritec rodi system

MarieH
09-18-2017, 12:30 PM
I was on a well too, the smell is harmless but people who visit always notice it. I used it for washing and showering but bought a cooler for drinking water, the smell should go if your using enough carbon as suggested.

shrimp
09-22-2017, 03:51 PM
He does not have a tds meter so I do not know what the reading is.
I am assuming it is 0 as the entire unit is brand new with all the filters new.
When some one wrote the smell is harmless, that tells me that there is still something in the water that makes the water smell so the water is not 100% clean, no? Clean water should not have an odour, right?