PDA

View Full Version : tank cycle help

Amadod2
09-13-2017, 05:53 AM
What is the best and fastest way to cycle a new tank? i took my tank apart the other day and didn't think things through, i have all my fish in a 30g with two filters and a power head with no protein skimmer. So now im stressing i was thinking i was going to put the fish back in the DT by friday but i never factored in cycling the tank:neutral:

Myka
09-13-2017, 12:14 PM
What did you do with the rock? How you handled the rock will determine if the tank will cycle. If you handled the rock properly the tank won't cycle at all. How long did you have the rock out of the water?

Amadod2
09-13-2017, 04:26 PM
The rock is in bleach getting ready for an acid dip

WarDog
09-13-2017, 05:05 PM
The rock is in bleach getting ready for an acid dip

You will be going through a full cycle I'm afraid. You can help the cycling process by using some Zeobak, Prodibio or Brightwells MB7. Test ammonia and NO3 every couple of days until the NO3 drops below 10 ppm for fish, and 5 ppm for coral (I would go lower personally). This can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. Good luck.

Amadod2
09-13-2017, 05:27 PM
heres the thing i wasn't going to add any rock for a month or so because i want to take my time and aquascape, plus i didn't want to add sand for a few months. will this be a problem? i am planing on adding some bio stars and like product in the sump with 5 lbs of live rock to re seed it

philg3
09-13-2017, 10:05 PM
How many fish and coral in the 30g?

Amadod2
09-13-2017, 10:23 PM
7- yellow wrasse, tomato clown, Midas blenny, kole tang, anthias despair, poters angel they are all on the small side

Amadod2
09-14-2017, 06:47 PM
Would it be ok to use tap water instead of riding water when filling the tank, it's just that it takes a long time to get all that rodi water done

DKoKoMan
09-15-2017, 09:11 AM
Would it be ok to use tap water instead of riding water when filling the tank, it's just that it takes a long time to get all that rodi water done

I would start filling buckets or a container win rodi water as it will save you headaches in the future.

Madreefer
09-15-2017, 04:04 PM
I don't come on here anymore cuz I'm too blunt and come across as an a$$
But seriously dude.....you've been a member since 2012. You've asked theses questions several times and you've received great advice. Maybe it's time to start listening to these people, they're not gonna lead you in the wrong direction. Nothing good or miraculous happens fast in this hobby. Patience and common sense is needed. If people can't grasp that than maybe they should try another hobby that doesn't involve something living.

Amadod2
09-15-2017, 06:10 PM
Yes I been in the hobby on and off since 2012, I have only had to cycle a tank once, so I'm simply asking questions to better my knowledge so I get it right. I don't appreciate your rude comments, you can keep those your self if you don't want to be friendly and help some one out. You might think those comments are clever and funny.... but they are hurtful. Have a good day

Gp Scott
09-18-2017, 05:23 AM
If your not planning on aquascaping for a while I suggest cycling your rock in a diff container then adding after