PDA

View Full Version : bubble algae

Amadod2
09-11-2017, 05:56 AM
So the bubble algae problem i had in my tank was so bad i have to tear it all down, probably the best time considering that this summer i had problem after problem with the tank, my question is what is the best way to clean the live rock?
i still have some corals that are attached to the rock that i want to save

DKoKoMan
09-11-2017, 06:58 AM
I would suggest bleaching or an acid bath. That being said if you want to save corals this method won't work. You can manually pick off the bubbles without popping them but I'm not sure how bad the infestation was.:neutral:

hunggi74
09-11-2017, 04:05 PM
I had the worst strain of bubble. Ever. I also had dinos. I used DinoX on the Dinos but it was successful in ridding the bubble as well. Then I had cyano LOL.
If you're at the point that you're thinking about tearing down the rock then it's a pretty bad infestation. No manually removing that. Try the DinoX treatment. 21 days. Most corals will survive unless they were unhealthy to start with.

Amadod2
09-11-2017, 04:47 PM
yeah i have no idea what to do, i want to tear it down and do an acid bath but then im starting from point one again!!! plus i have no idea how to do a acid bath. im just worried that my fish will get stressed out

WarDog
09-11-2017, 05:27 PM
The biggest problem is the BA spores. They are on everything and you don't have much choice other than a complete tear down. I'm assuming you have the same sheeting bubble algae as I do. I removed all my corals to another tank after heavy dipping in peroxide. The rock has plans for an acid bath. The spores also can travel through the fish, so it's a good idea to put them in a quarantine tank for a few days until they poop several times. It would also be a good idea to treat that tank with vibrant or Fluconazole. I'm not sure if UV can kill that particular spore.

I pretty much threw my hands into the air and gave up. Gives me a chance to upgrade anyways.

Good luck.

Amadod2
09-11-2017, 05:53 PM
You can dip corals in peroxide?

WarDog
09-11-2017, 06:03 PM
Kills pretty much every algae. Don't add it to your tank.

1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide to 20 parts salt water.

Turkey baste corals and scrub frag plugs and snail shells with a toothbrush. Dip no longer than a couple mins. Then rinse well with new salt water. Bingo bango.

emerald crab
09-12-2017, 03:22 AM
I second Hunggy74, DinoX and an UV sterilizer should do the job.

kyl
09-12-2017, 04:23 AM
Vibrant destroyed my bubble algae that the emerald crab couldn't keep in check. I haven't seen a single trace of it in almost 6 months, and I stopped using Vibrant probably 5 months ago. The emerald crab was also removed as it started to pick at other things with no bubble algae left to eat.

Might be worth a try, I found it turned the bubble algae really mushy then it just started to turn white and waste away.

Amadod2
09-12-2017, 06:57 AM
so i took all my fish out of my tank and put them in a 30g, i also took out all the rock and i put the corals with the fish...im not sure how many i can salvage. next step is to clean the tank, what would be the best way to remove calcium and kill any bubble algae thats attached to things