PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get my chaeto to grow for the life of me!

DKoKoMan
09-08-2017, 05:38 AM
Hey guys,

I'm hoping people can share their experiences with growing chaeto in their sumps. What has worked well, what does not work and how I can get this darn thing to grow! I swear every time I look at a new piece of chaeto it starts falling apart in annoying strands.

I have scoured the web and thought I was meeting the basic requirements however I'm getting no growth. Today be red macro algae in my sump was attached to my chaeto and looked nasty. When I went to spin the ball it was more of a sad looking mat. I always hear about people trinming chaeto, so clearly I'm doing something wrong.

As of right now I'm utilizing Foz Down and my chaeto as my PO4 control. I have at this time discontinued the use of GFO, may reconsider in the future.

Any help would be appreciated. :surprise:

Tyfighter
09-08-2017, 05:41 AM
What kind of lighting are you using and what are your parameters?

DKoKoMan
09-08-2017, 05:48 AM
Currently tested yesterday at:

Salinity - 1.026
NO3 - 10 ppm
PO4 - 0.06 ppm
ALK - 8.9 dKH
CAL - 450 ppm
MAG - 1350 ppm

Currently using a clamp style lamp directly above the water with a CFL 100w spiral bulb. I added a maxi jet 400 in the chaeto section to provide more flow then the baffles alone from the overflow to the return. I thought maybe flow was lacking. :question:

JamRobo
09-08-2017, 05:54 AM
Are you using vibrant by chance?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Tyfighter
09-08-2017, 05:56 AM
I would try removing the foz down and replacing the light with a grow bulb.
I started off using a par 30 led spotlight and it grew ok but I switched to a 50w grow led from Amazon and the stuff grows like crazy. All I have for flow is the water running through my sump so I don't thing that is your problem.
Also fluconazole treatments always kills my chaeto so if you have using it that may also be the problem.

Northern Reefer
09-08-2017, 10:19 AM
I have this light in my refugium and I can't keep up with the harvest. Its a great piece of equipment.

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/images/P/Nova-s2.jpg

Animal-Chin
09-08-2017, 02:46 PM
I too am going lighting. A normal bulb didn't do it for me, I had an extra black box LED where only the white side works and I used that and now I cut off a large bowl full a week. It likes light for sure...

Millepora_Maniac
09-08-2017, 03:35 PM
Flow is not an issue, you don't need lots of flow. Just need water to pass through the mass.

I used a compact fluorescent clamp light myself, it worked fine. It looks like you have measurable nitrates and phosphates, so it should be growing.
Maybe try changing the bulb in that clamp light to something more plant spectrum (6500 k) Seems a little overkill to buy an expensive LED system just for chaeto. That little light should work.

Good luck dude!

Galizio
09-08-2017, 07:39 PM
I had never had problem growing chaeto with a simple clamp light and an led light from store, sure grow slower than if you use a grow light, but still growing. Let say double the size, in a 2 months period.
For me was most dealing with the flow, I find out in my case that more flow was better, but that just my experience...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galizio
09-08-2017, 07:42 PM
Also as TY already mention is probably a good thing to stop using the phos down, and see how it goes, in the mean time keep an eye to the po4 and see how the chaeto do

Dendromad
09-08-2017, 08:01 PM
mine does well with just a 7w phillips LED spot bulb, usually triples in about 2 weeks. I have it come on overnight when the tank lights go off and off when they come on.

Northern Reefer
09-08-2017, 10:04 PM
Double in two months? I can double in 3 days. The idea of cheato is to have it grow as fast as possible. That's what uses all the nitrates in your system. If you want to see change in nitrates and increase in pH... get a good light.

Galizio
09-08-2017, 10:19 PM
Forgot to mention, my No3 are at 5 & Po4 0.04-0.06.
I think the grow of chaeto depends from flow, light and nutrients not just one of them...
Just my opinion.
If all depends by the light then go for it... I think higher the nutrients and faster is the growth, every thank is different so reading the OP value have to think his chaeto will not grow fast...

Bugger
09-09-2017, 12:32 AM
It might just be dead, Is it deeper green like a forest green color. if it is then its dead

DKoKoMan
09-09-2017, 01:26 AM
Are you using vibrant by chance?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Not using Vibrant, only dosing NOPO-X.

I have this light in my refugium and I can't keep up with the harvest. Its a great piece of equipment.

I have considered this light in the past but it seems to be rather large. If all else fails I will probably pick one up when it's not on back order.

I too am going lighting. A normal bulb didn't do it for me, I had an extra black box LED where only the white side works and I used that and now I cut off a large bowl full a week. It likes light for sure...

hmm definitely haven't had anything close to needing to remove chaeto.

DKoKoMan
09-09-2017, 01:58 AM
I would try removing the foz down and replacing the light with a grow bulb.
I started off using a par 30 led spotlight and it grew ok but I switched to a 50w grow led from Amazon and the stuff grows like crazy. All I have for flow is the water running through my sump so I don't thing that is your problem.
Also fluconazole treatments always kills my chaeto so if you have using it that may also be the problem.

I will discontinue the Foz Down and ordered a replacement bulb which is designed as a grow bulb. Do you think I can remove the maxijet from the live rock and chaeto compartment?

Flow is not an issue, you don't need lots of flow. Just need water to pass through the mass.

I used a compact fluorescent clamp light myself, it worked fine. It looks like you have measurable nitrates and phosphates, so it should be growing.
Maybe try changing the bulb in that clamp light to something more plant spectrum (6500 k) Seems a little overkill to buy an expensive LED system just for chaeto. That little light should work.

Good luck dude!

Thanks for the advice. I thought the flow through the baffles to the return (fuge is in the Center) would be suffice for growth. I definitely am trying the grow bulb before purchasing an expensive led fixture.

I had never had problem growing chaeto with a simple clamp light and an led light from store, sure grow slower than if you use a grow light, but still growing. Let say double the size, in a 2 months period.
For me was most dealing with the flow, I find out in my case that more flow was better, but that just my experience...

what are you using for flow besides the overflow and return pump?

Galizio
09-09-2017, 02:00 AM
[QUOTE=DKoKoMan;1018131][COLOR="Red"] Not using Vibrant, only dosing NOPO-X.

That's probably what is killing the chaeto,

DKoKoMan
09-09-2017, 02:01 AM
Forgot to mention, my No3 are at 5 & Po4 0.04-0.06.
I think the grow of chaeto depends from flow, light and nutrients not just one of them...
Just my opinion.
If all depends by the light then go for it... I think higher the nutrients and faster is the growth, every thank is different so reading the OP value have to think his chaeto will not grow fast...

I started using Foz Down as my PO4 went as high as 0.16ppm and no growth at all on the chaeto.

It might just be dead, Is it deeper green like a forest green color. if it is then its dead

it is definitely not dark green, doesn't feel as stiff as it used to and has now become more of a mat rather than a ball.

Galizio
09-09-2017, 02:04 AM
COLOR="red"]what are you using for flow besides the overflow and return pump?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

In the past used those cpr job refugium with just a maxi jet, now just have the water from the sump running thru, also when had a biocube had the chaeto just in a silicone soap older in thank and had success with all of them

DKoKoMan
09-09-2017, 05:08 AM
COLOR="red"]what are you using for flow besides the overflow and return pump?[/COLOR]

In the past used those cpr job refugium with just a maxi jet, now just have the water from the sump running thru, also when had a biocube had the chaeto just in a silicone soap older in thank and had success with all of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Ok cool, I will probably pull the pump out as it hasn't made a difference in chaeto growth.

DKoKoMan
09-12-2017, 10:44 PM
Got a new grow light today to put on my Refugium and replace the CFL bulb. I'm hoping this will spark some growth of my chaeto. I tested my PO4 today, 0.12ppm and after a 30g WC 0.08ppm. No shortage of nutrients so I'm hoping this light will help actually grow it. I'm hoping it's not too late for the remaining chaeto ball. Here are a couple pics.

http://i68.tinypic.com/vb67q.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/6pcnky.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/15p5ull.jpg

Galizio
09-13-2017, 12:43 AM
Nice!!!
Good luck

DKoKoMan
09-13-2017, 01:35 AM
Nice!!!
Good luck

Thanks! I will let you know how this goes.

Tyfighter
09-13-2017, 05:16 AM
good luck!

DKoKoMan
09-13-2017, 05:52 AM
good luck!

Thanks. I'm hoping his chaeto will still be alive enough to grow or may have to pick up a new one to test the light.

joe pooh
09-13-2017, 10:26 PM
i got a small ball of it months ago and have it in the back of the main tank. it does not grow or die. i do need more lights. right now they are over the middle of the tank where i have a few frags, but when the fish swim closer to the glass you can tell the lights are not hitting them any more. once i get more lights i will make a stronger effort to grow the chaeto ball. i am just glad it is not dying.

DKoKoMan
09-14-2017, 12:15 AM
i got a small ball of it months ago and have it in the back of the main tank. it does not grow or die. i do need more lights. right now they are over the middle of the tank where i have a few frags, but when the fish swim closer to the glass you can tell the lights are not hitting them any more. once i get more lights i will make a stronger effort to grow the chaeto ball. i am just glad it is not dying.

What are your parameters at?

DKoKoMan
09-25-2017, 04:55 AM
So unfortunately my chaeto ball withered away just in time for my new light. PO4 is at 0.13ppm so I’m guessing it was the light. Need to track down some local chaeto to try again :sad:

sobe
09-28-2017, 06:33 PM
Im supprised yours melted. I find they are generally tough. I dipped a newly aquired one on after breaking it up into small flattened pieces in CoralX and flatworm exit, then rinsed in ro water and final rinse with new salt water andbleft it soaked in old tank water on a container before putting it on tank the next day.

I just use regular homedepot lights. Here's what happened to mine though. One i made a drilled rubber maid container ( a former algea scrubber container) and pumped water to it with the cheato on the container then it drains to the sump. This cheato melted. So next i just placed it directly at the sump, decent flow and seperated it with a eggcrate with gutter guard. Started with a tennis size ball and it grows quick.

Hope yours grow