PDA

View Full Version : Adding acid dipped rock back to established DT

vanreefer
09-04-2017, 11:59 PM
Hi
Looking for advice... Need to do a muriatic acid dip to deal with aptasia in my DT. I have lots of other rock and siporax for bio filtration so not worried about that my question is... Post acid dip; is an rinse or overnight soak in RO adequate to safely add the rock back to an established system. Can't think of any reason I would need to do anything else... But want to know your thought.
Thanks
VR

vanreefer
09-05-2017, 02:16 AM
Hi
Looking for advice... Need to do a muriatic acid dip to deal with aptasia in my DT. I have lots of other rock and siporax for bio filtration so not worried about that my question is... Post acid dip; is an rinse or overnight soak in RO adequate to safely add the rock back to an established system. Can't think of any reason I would need to do anything else... But want to know your thought.
Thanks
VR
The above is only for the aptasia I don't have a phosphate problem...the dip will likely only be 10-15mins... Just long enough to to kill those little buggers.

iceman86
09-05-2017, 06:27 PM
I've done it before without any issues. It completely wipes out everything on that rock and makes it nice and clean. I just give it a good rinse and set it out to dry for a few hours. You can always add baking soda to the water after its done bubbling to neutralize the acid if that makes you more comfortable with the idea.

It's my favorite way to clean rock. I was once given a couple hundred pounds of algae and pest infested rock because the guy just didn't want to deal with it anymore. I brought it all home, put it in a bin with water and acid. 20 minutes later they were spotless. I didn't even get a phosphate reading after the acid wash.

You can even do a couple washes if you'd like. It just eats away at the outer surface of the rock but it's very minor that you won't even notice. Just remember to add the acid to the water not the other way around. Do it outdoor and wear rubber gloves and respiratory protection if you can.

Moogled
09-05-2017, 07:30 PM
What's the ratio of acid to water that you would normally use for something like this?

iceman86
09-05-2017, 07:36 PM
What's the ratio of acid to water that you would normally use for something like this?

1:10 is common. Some people do more concentrated but I don't see the need. The rocks are spotless after 20 min. I do 2 baths if I'm trying to rid it of phosphates but 1 bath probably is enough though.

smokinreefer
09-08-2017, 03:22 AM
Kind of on topic...
Do you need a special reservoir to do acid bath?
Can I just use a Rubbermaid garbage can?

Thanks!

duncangweller
09-08-2017, 04:22 AM
I've always just used a Rubbermaid container

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

WarDog
09-08-2017, 04:25 AM
Can I just use a Rubbermaid garbage can?

Yes.

Please take care using acid and have a box or two of arm and hammer baking soda on hand to neutralize the acid, or apply directly to skin in case of a burn. Don't forget gloves and Eyewear.

1 part acid to 10 parts water. Add the acid to the water... NOT WATER TO ACID!!!!

smokinreefer
09-08-2017, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Where can one purchase the acid?

I've got a Rubbermaid full of old dried up rock I'd like to resuse.

WarDog
09-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Canadian Tire. In the pool section.

iceman86
09-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Where can one purchase the acid?

I've got a Rubbermaid full of old dried up rock I'd like to resuse.

I've seen it at all hardware stores even walmart

vanreefer
09-08-2017, 06:03 PM
Canadian Tire. In the pool section.

Or my local Rona has it too

smokinreefer
09-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Thanks everyone!

maron6977
09-11-2017, 04:48 PM
Can't you use vinegar, that's what I've done in the past & works great . Safer to handle.
Any advantage to the acid ?

WarDog
09-11-2017, 05:18 PM
Acid completely removes the outer layer of rock. Recommended bath time is less than 30 mins, depending on your rocks density. If you leave it too long you won't have any rock left.

Vinegar just cleans the surface. So boring.

albert_dao
09-11-2017, 06:25 PM
Just keep in mind that if you buy over $100 of the stuff, they're going to request and take records of an ID. Makes it SUCH A PAIN to hide your tracks after the matter.

jostafew
09-22-2017, 04:50 AM
You can get the muriatic acid at Rona. I did the same thing to try to cure a phosphate with my LR. Cooked it in Acid, then neutralized the remaining acid/water combo with baking soda. RO soak, then back in the tank. No problems at all. Be warned that you'll want to do this somewhere that can handle a fountain of acidic foam pouring out of your container!

If you're going to do this, be sure to start with your container already holding the required amount of water, then add add the acid to it. Very important that you don't go the other way around.

smokinreefer
11-13-2017, 02:54 AM
I'm going to be cleaning a 30G Rubbermaid full of rock...
How much baking soda should I have on hand to neutralize this?

And how do you know when it's done?

Thanks!

vanreefer
11-13-2017, 05:24 PM
I'm going to be cleaning a 30G Rubbermaid full of rock...
How much baking soda should I have on hand to neutralize this?

And how do you know when it's done?

Thanks!
The bubbling will be very aggressive at the beginning of the process... as far as “being done” it’s when ur happy with the appearance of the rock or the bubbling (hydrochloride acid being neutralized by the bicarbonate in the rock) slows or nearly stops... I use xtra heavy duty rubber gloves to pull out some pieces and inspect them. Please be very very very careful as the acid will burn ur skin and destroy ur clothes.
I usually put 1/2 a small box in when I’m done. More may be required if the rock was only bathed for a short time.
Remember to do this outside as the fumes are fairly intense
Good luck
VR

WarDog
11-13-2017, 06:36 PM
The bubbling will be very aggressive at the beginning of the process... as far as “being done” it’s when ur happy with the appearance of the rock or the bubbling (hydrochloride acid being neutralized by the bicarbonate in the rock) slows or nearly stops... I use xtra heavy duty rubber gloves to pull out some pieces and inspect them. Please be very very very careful as the acid will burn ur skin and destroy ur clothes.
I usually put 1/2 a small box in when I’m done. More may be required if the rock was only bathed for a short time.
Remember to do this outside as the fumes are fairly intense
Good luck
VR

Yes safety is paramount. If you do get acid on your skin, neutralize it immediately with baking soda. I'm sure you knew that however.

I always have a few boxes open and ready to go just in case.

dino
11-13-2017, 06:46 PM
don't take any risks. use gloves and a respirator if possible and eye protection. I have seen acid eat through a metal ladder so its not so nice on the skin. I have also got fumes in the air and its not so present to the lungs

smokinreefer
11-13-2017, 10:42 PM
Thanks for all the info and safety tips!

I'll be doing this outdoors and will get rubber sleeve gloves and eye wear.

My change of plans from all your words of caution are:
Wear clothes that are ok to get wrecked in case.
And to have the baking soda already open... Last thing I'd want to do is fumble around with the box if I'm in an emergency situation.

Thanks again everyone!

smokinreefer
11-13-2017, 10:43 PM
Oh one more question...
Should I have a powered in there to circulate the acid bath?

dino
11-14-2017, 11:54 AM
so also I add soda ash at work to neutralize acid and it bubbles and spits and overflows and baking soda and bicarb will do similar things so be careful with that also.

sobe
11-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Just keep in mind that if you buy over $100 of the stuff, they're going to request and take records of an ID. Makes it SUCH A PAIN to hide your tracks after the matter.

Good to know. You can do multiple transaction and go to different stores if you want to hide your tracks. And pay only under the limit