PDA

View Full Version : Silencing beananimal overflow

dpg
08-30-2017, 04:35 AM
Hello
I have an external overflow the height of my tank with a beananimal style overflow. Tank is located on the main floor and drains via many feet of horizontal and vertical runs into a basement sump. All pvc pipe diameter, drain and return, is 1.5".
It's fairly noisy and the only way to quiet it down was to dial back the return pump significantly. Would this negate the purpose of returning cleaned water to the display because the return is so low - returns are located by the overflow.

I don't believe that it's running as a true beananimal due to the long runs and maybe the height of the overflow. Would shortening the overflow maybe help? Any other thoughts and advice are appreciated.

dino
08-30-2017, 04:52 PM
pictures please

GQsmooth
08-31-2017, 01:28 AM
You don't want to be running long horizontal lines, especially if you used 90degree elbows

Myka
08-31-2017, 03:16 AM
Where is the noise?

When you say you must crank the flow down to reduce noise then that sounds to me (har har) like maybe the water level in the overflow is too low and you're hearing the water falling into the overflow??

If the noise is coming from the pipes - gurgling? - then there is likely air caught in the pipes. Horizontal runs will do that because it slows down the water which allows bubbles to collect.

How much horizontal distance is there from where the water exits the tank to where it enters the sump? How far under water are the drain lines submerged?

The Codfather
08-31-2017, 03:22 PM
Let me know what part of town you are in, might be able to swing by and give you a hand.
Thanks,
Bob

spit.fire
08-31-2017, 04:05 PM
Convert it to a herbie

dpg
09-01-2017, 05:36 AM
Sorry no pics art his time.

Couldn't avoid the horizontal lines, have roughly 15 feet. Isn't completely horizontal, had it gently sloped and drains terminate about 4" into filter socks. Also used 2 45's vs 90's where I could.

The noise is definitely coming from the pipes.

Bob I am located in south west off the henday. If you could that'd be so great.

The Codfather
09-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Sorry no pics art his time.

Couldn't avoid the horizontal lines, have roughly 15 feet. Isn't completely horizontal, had it gently sloped and drains terminate about 4" into filter socks. Also used 2 45's vs 90's where I could.

The noise is definitely coming from the pipes.

Bob I am located in south west off the henday. If you could that'd be so great.

I'm out of town for long weekend but will be back early Monday. Maybe we can find time to have a look then. text me if its easier.
780-seven-one-eight-seven-eight-zero-five

WarDog
09-01-2017, 07:09 PM
Where in the system is the gate valve? Close to the tank or close to the sump?

Myka
09-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Where in the system is the gate valve? Close to the tank or close to the sump?
Yeah, that too.

Couldn't avoid the horizontal lines, have roughly 15 feet.

Is it 15 feet continuous horizontal or does it make some down steps along the way?

How many gph going through the lines?

The noise is surely from air in the pipes. If you don't have enough flow for 1.5" pipes that could be contributing. There has to be enough velocity to keep the air flushed out.

dpg
09-04-2017, 03:22 AM
I have ball valves close to the tank and at the sump. Maybe should swap to hate valve for better control.

The horizontal runs were done with a gentle downslope with roughly 2-2500gph.

Myka
09-04-2017, 12:54 PM
I have ball valves close to the tank and at the sump. Maybe should swap to hate valve for better control.

The horizontal runs were done with a gentle downslope with roughly 2-2500gph.
5000 gph??? Holy crap, which pump are you using and how big is this tank?

What's the purpose of the ball valves near the tank? Are they wide open during operation? If not, open them up and control flow at the sumo only. That alone might help.

dpg
09-06-2017, 01:43 AM
May need to tweak that ball valve. Should clarify 2-2500 total not each drain. This is a 210 gallon tank.

Myka
09-06-2017, 04:33 AM
Ah ok. Have you measured the flow? Or are you guesstimating? That's still a lot of flow through the sump for a 210-gallon tank - over 10x turnover. You could cut it down to one drain, do 90% total possible volume through that one alone and it'd probably be a lot quieter. 1250 gph through 1.5" drain isn't a lot of flow which gives the opportunity for air to build up and make noise. You should be able to get around 1600 gph through a single 1" herbie drain - often a lot more depending on how much restriction is on the line (such as horizontal runs slowing it down). Also, did I suggest to cut the drains so they are only 1" below surface in the sump? That will help flush air out.

dpg
09-17-2017, 04:15 AM
Thanks for all the fantastic suggestions and help.

I am not getting good surface skimming ie film at opposite end of overflow, would it be beneficial to add an internal overflow at this point? Or just add another phead at this point and/or remove the teeth leading into the external overflow...
Thanks