PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Crabs and Bubble Algae

Fish
12-03-2004, 04:54 AM
Hi all,
I'm a little frustrated with bubble algae growing on the rocks my zoanthids are on - I'm sure that blocks the zoos from spreading.
I have read before that emerald crabs will eat this stuff.
Does anyone know if this means "emerald crabs love eating bubble algae" or "I once saw an emerald crab eat bubble algae."
Just weighing the pros and cons; I know that crabs can become a problem themselves in an aquarium but I'll take the risk if they are likely to take care of this algae.

Thanks for your help.

- Chad

Richer
12-03-2004, 05:24 AM
From what I've read, its pretty much hit or miss. If you get one that eats bubble algae, it'll go nuts and you'll love it. If you get one that doesn't... well, then it won't, and you'll be wondering why you bought it in the first place (unless of course you like how it looks).

-Richer

Samw
12-03-2004, 05:30 AM
I love Emerald Crabs. I always have at least 1 in my tank. They ate all of the bubble algae. I have no bubble algae anymore.

Fish
12-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Cool, thanks guys. I really think that emerald crabs are neat and would like to have one or two in my tank. I was just worried that they might start picking at my corals.

- Chad

Bob I
12-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Albert Dao says that one in ten Emerald Crabs eats Bubble Alagae, so I bought three from him. One of them ate bubble algae right away, and is still doing it. The others I am not sure about. :eek:

Fish
12-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Thanks Bob,
Have you noticed the non-ba eaters causing any problems with your corals?

- Chad

Son Of Skyline
12-03-2004, 04:47 PM
I love emerald crabs. I've had several in 2 different tanks. I can't say that they ate alot of bubble algae, but they did eat alot of other types of algae. I've never seen any of my emerald crabs bother my corals.

vanreefer
12-03-2004, 09:38 PM
I have had several emerald crabs in my tank before I put them in ther was bubble algae a plenty after not so much. The worst interaction between crab and coral I have seen is once my crab walked over the coral then it kept going. you should be safe plus they are fun to play with... they think there so tough :evil:
Dano

Fish
12-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Haha! Sounds like I've got nothing to lose, even if it doesn't touch the bubble algae it would still be a great addition to the tank. I think some of the horror stories I've read are from people having trouble with crabs that weren't real emeralds. I once heard that there are 10 different variety of crabs that are all sold under the name "emerald crab". Might be the case???

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm now on the hunt for 2 or 3. What is the concensus on how long these guys live in captivity?

- Chad