PDA

View Full Version : OPINIONS WANTED!!!

Cujo#31
08-25-2017, 01:44 AM
In the final stages of getting my display up and going and I keep going back and forth on..... sand bed or bare bottom. Please share your opinions and experiences. Predominantly SPS and a few select LPS BTW before anyone asks that.

rsisvixen
08-25-2017, 01:52 AM
I like sand, I think it looks nicer and more natural.
Gives place for my wrasses to sleep and snails to burrow.

kien
08-25-2017, 02:47 AM
You're probably going to find a near 50/50 split on this topic. There are pros and cons for both camps. You kind of have to list the pros and cons for yourself and decide which out weighs the other :-)

I'm in the sand camp. I like the look of sand but I don't go crazy with it. I only have about an inch of sand on the bottom for aesthetics. My wrasses do like to burrow in the sand to sleep, even if half his body sticks out of the sandbed. :lol:

Myka
08-25-2017, 02:47 AM
I like sand too, but I only have about 1/2" of coarse sand. My wrasses sleep on it rather than in it. They're fine with that.

Tyfighter
08-25-2017, 04:18 AM
I have sand now and constantly wish that I went with a bare bottom. It would be much eaiser to vacuum out detritus that way. Also my clown and other fish constantly kick up sand that ends up on my chalices that needs to be blown off. If I didn't havea to worry about sand I could place a power head at the back of my tank where I actually want it and not have to worry about sand dunes forming in my tank.

I will agree that sand does look better initially but once Coraline grows and everything else grows in you won't even notice.

rsisvixen
08-25-2017, 04:22 AM
I think the key with sand is you need critters to move it around for you such as Nassarius, my ceriths also burrow in the sand and come out at night. My other crew is a pair of tiger watchman gobies and they keep the sand turned over and pristine, although they can get a tad carried away building piles. But they are interesting to watch.

But it totally depends as every tank is different, and what works for one might not work for someone else.

DKoKoMan
08-25-2017, 05:34 AM
I'm sand all the way as I enjoy my pistols and gobie. I find that as long as your diligent with siphons your sand bed during WC that detritus isn't an issue. IMO I like sand as it creates the natural beauty of an ocean bed.

CHEAPREEF
08-25-2017, 06:48 AM
I'd go bare bottom and line it with corals, I think it looks pretty neat. WWC's 900

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s750x750/sh0.08/e35/12424648_178807749167979_1334024028_n.jpg?ig_cache _key=MTIwNTkxOTkzOTQyODQ1OTA1MA%3D%3D.2

Werbo
08-26-2017, 12:56 AM
Go bare bottom to start. One less variable with a new tank and makes reefing way easier. Hell it is like cheating it is so easy. If you can't stand the aesthetics you can slowly add sand over a couple months. You'll find the tank brightens up with nice white sand and looks more natural

DKoKoMan
08-26-2017, 02:49 AM
White sand definitely makes it more natural and a nice backdrop for the corals to pop.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-26-2017, 07:57 AM
We tried one tank BB but after a few months, my wife & I decided we hated the look and add a thin layer of sand. Soooooo much better aesthetically.

Anthony

adam84
08-26-2017, 04:11 PM
I have tried both and prefer the look of white sand, I added a diamond goby who is constantly churning up the sand keeping it perfectly clean. The only draw back to this is I now have to change out filter socks every few days but it's a small price to pay. If you do go this route be sure your live rock is resting on the bottom glass and stable, these guys move a ton of sand every day.

titus
08-27-2017, 04:26 PM
Hello

Sand definitely. Natural looking, and easier to do rock work too.

Titus

604reefer
08-29-2017, 01:12 AM
I vote for sand! Love the way it looks.

Animal-Chin
08-29-2017, 05:56 PM
Gotta go with sand. Barebottom was cool until I started getting the algae that grows on glass and then had to clean the bare bottom to keep it looking nice. Kind of a pain. I ended up adding sand after a few months. Was only a small tank though so no big deal, I'm assuming you're setting up something big so adding sand later would be a mess...

DKoKoMan
08-29-2017, 06:34 PM
The suspense is killing me... I am hoping to see a nice reef tank with white sand :smile:

Frogger
08-29-2017, 07:27 PM
I think sand is the way to go. The only problem I have is: the high flow of the tank moves the sand around and you end up with pile in some places and bare bottom in others. Gravel would stay put but looks too course for my liking.

Sand encourages spaghetti worms and other beneficial organisms

kien
08-29-2017, 09:03 PM
So the answer is: Yes, use sand, but don't use sand.

Snappy
09-03-2017, 05:02 PM
Sand gives a much more natural look.

Snappy
09-03-2017, 05:03 PM
I think sand is the way to go. The only problem I have is: the high flow of the tank moves the sand around and you end up with pile in some places and bare bottom in others. Gravel would stay put but looks too course for my liking.

Sand encourages spaghetti worms and other beneficial organisms
Use sand and add rubble to the problem flow areas.

albert_dao
09-04-2017, 12:22 AM
Just start the tank BB for the first 2 months. Add a thin layer of sand afterwards. This is my standard startup routine for service accounts and installations. Works great.

Cujo#31
09-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Thank You all. I will add an ingredient now that might swing the argument 180 degrees....my new display will be acrylic.....which most likely solidifies my decision to go BB with a ton of cover corals. BB would greatly reduce the potential for scratches me thinks, unless there are some acrylic veterans out there who may offer some pointers on keeping a sand bed in an acrylic tank.

CHEAPREEF
11-01-2017, 06:23 PM
Thank You all. I will add an ingredient now that might swing the argument 180 degrees....my new display will be acrylic.....which most likely solidifies my decision to go BB with a ton of cover corals. BB would greatly reduce the potential for scratches me thinks, unless there are some acrylic veterans out there who may offer some pointers on keeping a sand bed in an acrylic tank.

So what was the final outcome on this? Be great to see which way you went and ultimately why. ;)
I just finished setting up a new shallow tank on Sunday and Having the same issue. It's BB right now with painted back and bottom, looks pretty good just never had BB before. lol

Belgian Anthias
11-13-2017, 05:26 PM
I prefer coral sand because a nitrifying biofilm growing on a base containing calcium carbonate does not influence alkalinity.

Cujo#31
11-15-2017, 09:40 PM
So what was the final outcome on this? Be great to see which way you went and ultimately why. ;)

I just finished setting up a new shallow tank on Sunday and Having the same issue. It's BB right now with painted back and bottom, looks pretty good just never had BB before. lol

Went BB. Fewer places to hide excess nutrients and less likely to scratch the acrylic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHEAPREEF
11-15-2017, 09:47 PM
Went BB. Fewer places to hide excess nutrients and less likely to scratch the acrylic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the BB for a few weeks and just couldn't get used to it. I'm running a gyre so I went with a very thin layer of crushed coral on Sunday. 50lb bag for a 42X22.5 area so not thick at all. lol Brightened up the tank immensely

https://images2.imgbox.com/ab/18/4TTzuQuX_o.jpg