PDA

View Full Version : Kalk Drip

corper
12-03-2004, 12:03 AM
I'm hooking up my kalk drip, and I'm not sure how fast it should drip into the sump tank :confused: . Can anyone help?

trilinearmipmap
12-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Depends on the size of your tank, and it also depends on whether you are just dripping kalk to supplement alk/Ca, or whether you are using kalk for all your topoff water.

The main concerns if the kalk went in too fast would be a pH spike upwards, and possible precipiation of calcium carbonate.

There is no hard and fast rule for how fast to drip the kalk. If you see no sudden pH spike, and no calcium carbonate precipitation, you should be all right.

For what it's worth my auto-topoff sometimes dumps several cups of kalkwasser into my sump at one time, with no ill effects. Make sure the kalk gets dripped into a high-flow area of the sump, and I don't think the drip rate matters.

AJ_77
12-03-2004, 02:46 AM
As long as it's a drip and not a stream, you should probably be OK. My gallon jug takes about an hour.

How much, into what size tank?

Fish
12-03-2004, 04:07 AM
I have 40 gallons in my system and I have found that 1 drip every two seconds keeps up with my rate of evaporation.

- Chad

corper
12-03-2004, 04:46 AM
It's a 72gl tank with a 33gl sump. I wanted to use the kalk drip for PH/Alk and evaporation.