xerxes300
08-17-2017, 09:52 PM
https://reefbuilders.com/2017/08/16/macna-2018-las-vegas/

Animal-Chin
08-17-2017, 10:34 PM
Hmmm fish tanks and debauchery, I may have to try and make this one...lol

WarDog
08-17-2017, 11:55 PM
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4402/36267241880_5668ec7fed_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XfP6tN)

I think a lot of us will be going.

kien
08-18-2017, 01:29 AM
I think a lot of us will be going.

+1 !

Myka
08-18-2017, 04:08 AM
I'm not excited about MACNA in Vegas. Seems odd to me.

kien
08-18-2017, 03:21 PM
I'm not excited about MACNA in Vegas. Seems odd to me.

Carbon dosing for everyone !! :-D

hunggi74
08-20-2017, 07:36 AM
Gonna get my early bird ticket with a free t-shirt.

WarDog
08-20-2017, 08:17 AM
Gonna get my early bird ticket with a free t-shirt.

Still doesn't mean you'll go.

WarDog
04-14-2018, 02:31 AM
This will be my 3rd consecutive Macna. Is anyone else confirmed?

Frogger
04-14-2018, 05:22 AM
Not confirmed but solidly considering

DKoKoMan
04-14-2018, 05:47 AM
Would be a sweet trip!

hunggi74
04-14-2018, 06:04 AM
Still doesn't mean you'll go.

Full Pass purchased
Hotel room booked
Flight booked
Does this mean I’m confirmed?

WarDog
04-14-2018, 06:35 AM
Full Pass purchased
Hotel room booked
Flight booked
Does this mean I’m confirmed?

No.

hunggi74
04-14-2018, 08:17 AM
No.

Wow. Old wounds heal slow eh?

FishyFishy!
04-14-2018, 04:14 PM
So it says for a weekend pass...that ticket sales have ended. Does that mean they are sold out?

WarDog
04-14-2018, 06:55 PM
So it says for a weekend pass...that ticket sales have ended. Does that mean they are sold out?

I think the weekend pass includes the Banquet dinner and Fridays reception. Probably can only get day passes for the show floor.

FishyFishy!
04-14-2018, 07:13 PM
Still cant find day passes! Their site is kinda frustrating to navigate. I told the wife today that its in Vegas and now she wants to go! Haha

Dearth
04-14-2018, 08:19 PM
I'm torn I am a veteran of Vegas having been there many times and September is the start of Convention season there not to mention it will still be hella hot there with daytime highs in the low to mid 40celcius range.

I'm a true northern boy I want to go but it is still way to hot for me there that time of year

xerxes300
04-14-2018, 08:24 PM
im thinking to buy the “Daily Pass” for 3 days(available in June).
and skip the “Full Conference Pass” cuz i dont know if the additional Sat nite dinner wud be of interest.

any drawbacks to 3 Daily Passes?

http://macnaconference.org/2018/attend/

Myka
04-14-2018, 10:44 PM
any drawbacks to 3 Daily Passes?

Depends what you like. The whole trade show I think is a bit of a yawn - I'm really not into trade shows of any kind. The Key Note Speaker at the banquet is the only thing I'm interested in at MACNA besides meeting up with buddies I haven't seen in awhile.

DiverDude
04-17-2018, 07:36 PM
IF you can only go to one......MACNA or Reefapalooza ?

Dearth
04-18-2018, 02:21 AM
IF you can only go to one......MACNA or Reefapalooza ?

Reefapalooza hands down

Trade shows can be very dry and boring after awhile

Myka
04-18-2018, 04:51 AM
Reefapalooza hands down

You've been to both?

DKoKoMan
04-18-2018, 04:53 AM
I would like to attend the Reefapalooza as I’m not a big fan of the trade show atmosphere. That being said I won’t knock macna until I have been.

Dearth
04-18-2018, 06:53 AM
You've been to both?

I attended Macna in 2013 in Florida only went one day and was a whirlwind tour

I couldn’t get in to reefapalooza though 2014 as I was unable to get time off when it was on

I haven’t travelled since my heart attack in 2015 although I am planning on travelling this spring and fall

However as I have attended many trade shows throughout the years most of which have dealt with heavy industry after you start going for a few years they tend to be the same after awhile

While I attended Macna in Fort Lauderdale it was a quick run and lots of eye candy I know I would of enjoyed it if I had more time as I was a new reefer but my Girl Friend at the time had zero interest in it or salt water hobby period but it has the same format as every other trade show I’ve attended. I’d enjoy it but new things always spice it up.

FishyFishy!
04-26-2018, 03:21 PM
Got my tickets today!!! Who else is going??

WarDog
04-27-2018, 02:05 AM
Got my tickets today!!! Who else is going??

I know of at least 10 Canreefers who are confirmed.

hunggi74
04-27-2018, 04:05 PM
I know of at least 10 Canreefers who are confirmed.

But no me...not confirmed ...

WarDog
04-27-2018, 05:00 PM
But no me...not confirmed ...

I didn't want to name the unconfirmed.
�� Shame...�� shame.

Dearth
04-27-2018, 07:26 PM
I was denied time off already too many people off on my crew on those dates....

MACNAConference
05-24-2018, 05:13 PM
So many questions in this thread! We've been sleeping at the wheel.

Would love to see all of you at Vegas this year! We have plenty of interest group meeting space available too throughout the weekend, we should totally set aside a time for CANReef meetup too!

So, passes.
All pass types are not available for pre-order through our website, so go nuts!
http://macnaconference.org/2018/attend/

Full Access Conference Pass - Includes everything, speakers, workshops, Friday night reception, Saturday Banquet, and exhibit floor. If you want to see it all - this type of pass is the way to go.

Daily passes either include the speakers or not (Full Access or just Exhibit Floor only) $35 for full access, and $20 for exhibit floor only. If you want to attend the Friday reception (live music, snacks, and socializing) or the Saturday Banquet (sit down dinner, presentation, and MASNA awards ceremony) they can be added a-la-carte.

The $90 weekend pass is the speakers, workshops, and exhibit floor all three days, so great for those who do not want to attend the social and banquet, or just want to a-la-carte one, save another night for some nights out at ashow or something!

All of the MACNA events are at our MACNA hotel, so no walking outside needed - because yeah, Vegas in September is HOT! This year's hotel rates are the lowest we have ever been able to offer for MACNA. To get our MACNA rates you need to book through our website, the link is below.

http://macnaconference.org/2018/stay/

MACNAConference
05-24-2018, 05:17 PM
And, what to expect at MACNA?

It actually isn't just a trade show!!

The exhibit floor is like RAP on steroids, more vendors, and while admittedly our manufacturer to vendor ratio is higher than other shows, there are still dozens of vendors selling corals, frags, equipment and more.

A lot of attendees love actually getting a business card from the manufacturers for support issues in the future, so having them there to show you how to use their equipment is great!

Plus, so much shopping for all of us that just need that "one more treasure" for our tanks ;)

Our floorplan is continuing to update, and we now have all the reserved booths listed on our interactive floor plan - http://macnaconference.org/2018/floor/

shiftline
06-12-2018, 06:26 AM
So stoked for it!
https://youtu.be/13px57OlP14

shiftline
06-12-2018, 11:14 PM
A little bonus discount for my fellow Canadians :)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180612/a248269dd292209e0f3655c025e39560.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dearth
06-17-2018, 06:03 PM
All in the space of 12 hours I went from not being able to go then being able to go to again not being able to go

Where I work vacation is based on first come first serve and limited to a maximum of three people off per crew at a time (24 hr operation) found out that someone cancelled their holidays for that time slot and a put in for the vacation and all looked good 5 hours later was told that I couldn’t have it as I was beat out by someone else who put their time in a day earlier

Sigh....

DKoKoMan
06-17-2018, 06:15 PM
All in the space of 12 hours I went from not being able to go then being able to go to again not being able to go

Where I work vacation is based on first come first serve and limited to a maximum of three people off per crew at a time (24 hr operation) found out that someone cancelled their holidays for that time slot and a put in for the vacation and all looked good 5 hours later was told that I couldn’t have it as I was beat out by someone else who put their time in a day earlier

Sigh....

Sounds similar to my line of work... May-September is considered the red zone where if you didn’t have annual vacation you can’t take that time off. We are allowed 2 off at a time...that’s iT...that’s all. No negotiations :neutral:

xerxes300
06-17-2018, 11:07 PM
we bot the Full Weekend Pass 😀

shiftline
06-26-2018, 04:46 AM
[QUOTE=xerxes300;1028047]we bot the Full Weekend Pass

MACNAConference
06-27-2018, 05:51 AM
BOOOM!

If you don't have your Full Conference Pass, now is the time to get it so you don't miss the Keynote (Dr. Charlie Veron!) at the Saturday Night Banquet! It will be EPIC!

macna.org/attend

WarDog
06-27-2018, 05:57 AM
Nice to have official MACNA representation on Canreef!

WarDog
08-04-2018, 02:54 AM
35 days to go!

shiftline
08-04-2018, 05:15 AM
The countdown is on! Flights, hotel.. all booked up!

WarDog
08-26-2018, 06:36 PM
11 days to go!!

WarDog
Shrimp
Acepumping
davej
reeferfulton
Rice Reef
Shiftline
xerxes300
FishyFishy!

Hunggi74... still could cancel.

Any other Canreefers going?

Also, don't forget to get the MACNA 2018 app from your app store. Lots of great resources there.

And.... if you're an Apex user, register for the Neptune Breakfast https://www.neptunesystems.com/macna-meetup-2018.

Frogger
08-27-2018, 12:21 AM
I would love to go, however too busy can't take any time off.

Take some good pics and let us know how it goes.

See if they got any news on the release of the Neptune Trident or the Seneye Coral. (Alkalinity monitors). Wouldn't mind getting one once they are reliable and available.

WarDog
08-27-2018, 12:57 AM
I would love to go, however too busy can't take any time off.

Take some good pics and let us know how it goes.

See if they got any news on the release of the Neptune Trident or the Seneye Coral. (Alkalinity monitors). Wouldn't mind getting one once they are reliable and available.

I will be posting pictures on the Canreef FB page over the course of the weekend.

Last I heard the Trident still isnt ready for release, but I'm sure it will be the hot topic during the Neptune Breakfast.

Frogger
08-27-2018, 05:28 AM
I am in for Friday and Saturday. Sunday didn't look as good and couldn't get full pass.

Didn't want to miss Friday, they have some good speakers.

DAVE
08-27-2018, 12:26 PM
BIGSHOW ;)

vanreefer
08-28-2018, 03:33 PM
I’m going as well !!

WarDog
08-28-2018, 03:35 PM
11 days to go!!

WarDog
Shrimp
Acepumping
davej
reeferfulton
Rice Reef
Shiftline
xerxes300
FishyFishy!
Frogger
Vanreefer
Hunggi74
DAVE

Nice!

FishyFishy!
08-28-2018, 03:43 PM
11 days to go!!

WarDog
Shrimp
Acepumping
davej
reeferfulton
Rice Reef
Shiftline
xerxes300
FishyFishy!

Hunggi74... still could cancel.

Any other Canreefers going?

Also, don't forget to get the MACNA 2018 app from your app store. Lots of great resources there.

And.... if you're an Apex user, register for the Neptune Breakfast https://www.neptunesystems.com/macna-meetup-2018.

Uuurrrggh I wanted to go to that Apex breakfast. But won't be there until Friday night! I'm guessing those prizes and goodie bags will be pretty awesome

shiftline
08-31-2018, 12:33 AM
They sure will be good! to bad your going to miss it!. If any of you come to the Apex talk.. be sure to come say Hi :)

WarDog
08-31-2018, 02:02 AM
They sure will be good! to bad your going to miss it!. If any of you come to the Apex talk.. be sure to come say Hi :)

I count 10 for the Apex Breakfast so far.

shiftline
08-31-2018, 03:38 AM
Fellow Canadians unite!!.
Be sure to introduce your selfs and say hi!.

-Deven aka ReefDudes
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180831/88b7bce3b4e0fa1444fd500fd111e712.jpg

WarDog
08-31-2018, 03:40 AM
Fellow Canadians unite!!.
Be sure to introduce your selfs and say hi!.

I

If it's anything like last year, we'll be the drunk bunch in the 2nd or 3rd row.

shiftline
08-31-2018, 03:45 AM
If it's anything like last year, we'll be the drunk bunch in the 2nd or 3rd row.

Sounds like Thursday will be a good night!! I

Frogger
09-05-2018, 08:01 PM
One more sleep.
I noticed that Seneye doesn't have a booth. I was looking forward to seeing their new alkalinity monitoring system

DKoKoMan
09-05-2018, 10:49 PM
Ugh so jealous. Really would like to go to this some year.

WarDog
09-07-2018, 02:10 PM
Macna morning is upon us. Getting ready to hit the Neptune Apex breakfast.

I'll post pics to the Canreef FB page throughout the weekend.

WarDog
09-10-2018, 04:12 PM
We sure had a 'Hangover' weekend minus the roof.

Animal-Chin
09-10-2018, 07:15 PM
Haven't heard or seen much about this year, was there anything exciting and new?

Frogger
09-10-2018, 09:40 PM
I didn't notice much new, other than the new Kessil light and the Triton Carbon testing (N-Doc Organics).

No new info on the Neptune Trident other then it will be available soon. Seneye wasn't there so no information on the Seneye Coral (Alkalinity).

Poma Labs (in conjunction with Piscine) had a cool display with about 40 tiny captive bred Conspicuous and Singapore Angels.

WarDog
09-11-2018, 12:30 AM
Poma Labs (in conjunction with Piscine) had a cool display with about 40 tiny captive bred Conspicuous and Singapore Angels.

Those were there last year. Like you said.... not much new and way less big name vendors. MACNA needs to step up its game for next year.

Frogger
09-11-2018, 07:40 AM
Those were there last year. Like you said.... not much new and way less big name vendors. MACNA needs to step up its game for next year.

I didn't say it was new only that it was cool.

Ryan
09-12-2018, 12:51 AM

I bet location has something to do with it. Population in the east vs west.

DKoKoMan
09-12-2018, 04:31 AM
Was it worth going all said and done?

Frogger
09-12-2018, 05:45 AM
This was my first MACNA, just to experience it was worth it. Doubt I will go next year.

DKoKoMan
09-12-2018, 05:11 PM
This was my first MACNA, just to experience it was worth it. Doubt I will go next year.

That’s where I am at... I just want to say I have been and experienced it.

Frogger
09-13-2018, 03:25 AM
Definitely worth going to if you have never been to one. The scale of the show is amazing.

I would wait until the show travels back out to the west coast, unless you never been to Florida and want to take the kids to Disney.

ALBERTA REEF
09-13-2018, 04:36 AM
My first MACNA. What to say. Vegas good. Speaker Good. Show floor okay. Lacking. I expected a little bit more. At lease one more think to scratch off my bucket list. Might go another year. If anyone thinking of going. I suggest go and experience it for yourself.

Dearth
09-13-2018, 07:45 AM
Just found out a friend of mine went She and her daughter had fun but would of rather seen it at another city rather than Vegas. This is her 5th Macna and she said the speakers were awesome, the Q&A informative but the floor displays were lacking.

WarDog
09-13-2018, 07:28 PM
Its been a couple days since we got back and I'm ready to share my experiences of Macna 2018.

This is my third Macna in a row and the first thing I noticed was the absence of some big names. Aquaforest, Vertex and Royal Exclusive just to name a few. There was also very little hardware on display, compared to New Orleans and San Diego. The only cool new hardware I saw was the AI Nero wavemaker and a controllable AC pump, of which I forget the name, but is highlighted in Mr. Saltwater Tanks video on Macna 2018. Overall the convention floor was a HUGE dissapointment.

The Friday night social event was ok, just a pool party at the hotel with great snack food and a really average cover band who were also local reefers. Not at all comparable to New Orleans or San Diego, again.

The Saturday night banquet was very interesting. The venue and food were fantastic, but that's where it ended. Speeches went on forever, including one by Dr. John 'Charlie' Vernon. He is called the Grandfather Of Reefing because of his 40 years of research on the Great Barrier Reef, and you may know him from the documentary 'Chasing Coral'. The poor guy rambled on for about an hour and a half, repeating things multiple times and overall painting a picture of ultimate gloom. Walt Smith also received a lifetime achievement award and gave a farewell speech, as the government of Fiji has pretty much shut him down from exporting. There was also a debacle during the Fiji trip giveaway, but more on that later.

This was the first year that a Macna was not organized by a local club, for reasons which I am not aware. MASNA was responsible for organizing and they received some serious backlash, mainly for the problems involving volunteers and raffle tickets. I'm not going to go into anymore details here, as there is a great thread on R2R started by DaveJep that sheds light on the whole situation, and is well worth the read. It also includes the deatails of the Fiji trip giveaway, that was won by the same people who won last year. Oh my.

This will be my last Macna for the foreseeable future, unless it happens to be in Seattle. Hopefully MASNA can work out the bugs if they continue to organize it. I also think they will need to lower their prices for vendor space, if they want to attract the big names back.

This trip was saved by the fact that we were in Vegas with lots to do, and that we were with several amazing local reefers who have become very close friends over the last few years. We made some lasting memories for sure that can't be shared.... because.... LAS VEGAS!

Frogger
09-15-2018, 03:12 AM
MASNA was responsible for organizing and they received some serious backlash, mainly for the problems involving volunteers and raffle tickets. I'm not going to go into anymore details here, as there is a great thread on R2R started by DaveJep that sheds light on the whole situation, and is well worth the read. It also includes the details of the Fiji trip giveaway, that was won by the same people who won last year. Oh my.

Sorry Warren I don't mean to offend but the post by DaveJep seems to me to be the post from a bunch of sore losers. He has no idea why that person had that many tickets, maybe they bought them (there are stories or people spending thousands of dollars on tickets) or maybe the person had the tickets from a bunch of people that couldn't attend the raffle drawing.

Also if the same people won the Fifi trip again maybe its because they bought a boat load of tickets and just happened to win again.

If they don't like the game they shouldn't play.

davej
09-15-2018, 05:50 AM
Hey FROGGER you shouldn't talk CRAP about someone when YOU don't have all the facts.

Just so you know the girl with all the FREE tickets was bragging about them to a few different people.
She also posted up on the Macna app about how she deserved to win the Apex for all the hard work she did for the show.
I wasn't upset that I didn't win, I was unhappy that they sold raffle tickets at $20 a sheet without disclosing the fact that they gave out 8000 plus free tickets to the "volunteers".
I posted up about it so that they would realize that the way the raffle was managed was wrong and maybe in the future they could correct the way they do it.
I have no problem with the way the actual draw was done, just had problem of the undisclosed thousands of tickets doled out.

Hypothetically:

Lets say WarDog and I decide to start a Canreef raffle for a WaltDisney across that everyone wants.
You decide to spend $100 on your tickets along with a lot of other people.
After the draw you find out our Buddy won the raffle because of the 8000 free tickets we gave our buddy for helping set up the raffle.
How you feel?
Would you just say, oh well guess I should just take it because everyone will think I'm a sore loser?
I highly doubt it.

DKoKoMan
09-15-2018, 10:18 AM
Just to chime in... I think if they disclosed the free tickets given away and you chose to try your fate all good. I don’t agree with the non-disclosure as the odds are greatly reduced.

acepumping
09-15-2018, 06:04 PM

Was it worth it?? ABSOLUTELY not, macna san diego blew this one out of the park... I am debating on going next year. The only reason i would and may go, is due to the fact that me and the fam love disney.. so we may just go for that cause..

First time experience people may look different at it.. But i know the group I went with were not impressed.

Frogger
09-15-2018, 08:04 PM
Just so you know the girl with all the FREE tickets was bragging about them to a few different people.
She also posted up on the Macna app about how she deserved to win the Apex for all the hard work she did for the show.
I wasn't upset that I didn't win, I was unhappy that they sold raffle tickets at $20 a sheet without disclosing the fact that they gave out 8000 plus free tickets to the "volunteers".

I am sorry you feel that the MACNA raffle was poorly run. Please post some reliable sources please. Once I have read all the facts I can make a educated decision.

What I said was I do not want to offend but it sounds to me like. That is just my opinion.

If most of the tickets for the raffle were given out to volunteers and they didn't disclose this before the raffle then shame on them.

DKoKoMan
09-16-2018, 11:19 AM
Was it worth it?? ABSOLUTELY not, macna san diego blew this one out of the park... I am debating on going next year. The only reason i would and may go, is due to the fact that me and the fam love disney.. so we may just go for that cause..

First time experience people may look different at it.. But i know the group I went with were not impressed.

Good to know! Thanks for the honest feedback.

Scythanith
09-17-2018, 05:49 PM
What were WD's & HW's selling for down there just out of curiosity?

Fishman
09-18-2018, 03:36 AM

I got to chat (one on one) with Bob Fenner for over 30 minutes Saturday morning … and also a bit with Walt Smith (got books autographed by both). For me, that made it worth the trip.

xerxes300
09-22-2018, 07:16 PM
its was great to meet fellow canreefers, especially by a pool, in vegas, in 35°C heat, being blasted by a huge misting fan, while a live band played on.

it was my first MACNA, and prob my last tho, unless it comes to Seattle.
i found myself leaving one brilliant speaker, half way, to catch another, so i cud see both presentations - too much of a good thing id say. ill have wait for the recordings.
during the Sat nite Fiji Trip draw scandal, the guy who ultimately won, was sitting rite behind me, and looked like hed won a bag of hot dog mess or something - the whole thing was so weird.
and btw, as far as i saw, the $10,000 scoly and $2500 RBTA werent snatched up by the end of the conference.
on the monday, i visited 3 of the local fish shops, and at one, there were boxes and boxes of fish n corals n rocks being returned from MACNA, and the employee said they had set up many of the exhibitors tanks, so i think that explains why most looked so hohum.
a few days later i visited the Steinhart and Monteray Bay aquariums, and im an atheist, but i may have had a religious experience sitting in front of the Open Ocean exhibit - shocking majestic beauty. i dont think i can look at sushi the same way again.

with the advent of the 5th mass extintion in mind, id like to encourage the Canreef members to make a contribution to the Walt Smith - Coral Reef Project:

https://www.adeproject.org/team/walt-smith/

acepumping
09-22-2018, 10:46 PM
with the advent of the 5th mass extintion in mind, id like to encourage the Canreef members to make a contribution to the Walt Smith - Coral Reef Project:

https://www.adeproject.org/team/walt-smith/[/QUOTE]

i dont think i could donate to this cause, as i would just be donating to free raffle tickets for his next years prize ������

Jk, go and donate.. hopefully next years will be better.. from everyone ive know who went, says it was the worst for sure.!!!

xerxes300
09-25-2018, 02:18 AM
please disregard the last claim, that there is any connection between the “A.D.E. Project” and any raffle. conflating the two is utterly false, and is very harmful to a great environmental and humanitarian cause, which will also produce direct benifits to any reefer who is interested in buying fish and corals from Fiji.

simple fact-check:
https://www.adeproject.org/what-is-ade/

xerxes300
10-22-2018, 04:04 PM
Cogradulations to MASNA and MACNA for today donating $2500 to the A.D.E Fiji Project

http://masna.org/organizations/?utm_source=MACNA+Attendee&utm_campaign=cfabb15a0a-MACNA+2018+donation+to+ADE&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3716cff95c-cfabb15a0a-457258517