PDA

View Full Version : Adding live rock from crashed tank

Sasq40
08-16-2017, 04:48 AM
A local person had there nano tank crash well they were on holidays and I offered to take in there one clown and a few coral. My wife picked it up the stuff since I was at work and stuck them in my 36g that I keep around for new arrivals as a qt. I have live rock in it now, and I guess she gave my wife a bucket of live rock as well. Should I clean it out by dipping it in a few buckets, or should I cook it since she had a crash?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

albert_dao
08-16-2017, 05:59 AM
Rock is cheap. Just toss it, IMO.

Myka
08-16-2017, 12:22 PM
I'd "cook" it, if by "cook" you mean flushing it in a tub for several weeks while doing 100% water changes.

Don't use a stove to "cook" it. You could potentially make your entire family very, very sick.

Sasq40
08-16-2017, 02:12 PM
Yep that's what I meant by cook it. I know not to do the oven lol

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Myka
08-16-2017, 02:23 PM
Yep that's what I meant by cook it. I know not to do the oven lol

I figured. Just wanted to make sure anyone reading this wouldn't get confused.

WarDog
08-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Cook it for sure. Visit BRS TV on YouTube and watch their recent video on curing live rock.

albert_dao
08-16-2017, 08:00 PM
But... Why not just toss it? You'll use up a bucket of salt "cooking" it if done properly. That's $50-100. What's a pail of live/dry rock worth?

Animal-Chin
08-16-2017, 08:36 PM
I want to know what crashed the tank? That'd be my concern...

videosilva
08-17-2017, 04:24 AM
Whey would you want to kill the live rock ? Rock is NOT cheap as other poster implied. If you are worried put in a bucket for a few days and keep the rock alive.

albert_dao
08-17-2017, 06:20 AM
Whey would you want to kill the live rock ? Rock is NOT cheap as other poster implied. If you are worried put in a bucket for a few days and keep the rock alive.

0___0

He said there's a bucket of rock. That's maybe 10-12 lbs? At $7/lb, that's $70-86. What's a bucket of salt worth? Because you'll be using ~100 gallons of it to do proper water changes on the 20-gallon tank you'd use to cook the rock. If you're like me, you pay ~$90/bucket of salt (160 gallons), so that adds up to about $50 in salt PLUS THE TIME YOU WASTE ON IT. I'm going to stop the rest of the doing the math here because it should be pretty obvious by now that it's a colossal waste of time. And that's just the economics side of it. Recall this is rock from a tank that crashed.

DKoKoMan
08-17-2017, 07:44 AM
:pop2:

Myka
08-17-2017, 12:22 PM
But... Why not just toss it? You'll use up a bucket of salt "cooking" it if done properly. That's $50-100. What's a pail of live/dry rock worth?

Why are you using saltwater?

I want to know what crashed the tank? That'd be my concern...

He said there were corals remaining in it, sounds like "natural" causes.

albert_dao
08-17-2017, 03:25 PM

I'd "cook" it, if by "cook" you mean flushing it in a tub for several weeks while doing 100% water changes.

I wouldn't. If it was me, I'd either toss the rock or throw it through a bleach/acid wash.

CONTEXTUALLY - the assumption I made was that OP wanted to keep rock "live".

Moogled
08-18-2017, 07:09 PM

I wouldn't. If it was me, I'd either toss the rock or throw it through a bleach/acid wash.

CONTEXTUALLY - the assumption I made was that OP wanted to keep rock "live".

I would have to agree with Albert that contextually it also sounded like OP wanted to use the rock in his existing tank which using SW would make sense if you wanted to concurrently achieve multiple goals.

I don't know that I would take the risk from a crashed tank but yeah, it wouldn't be as relevant if it's going into a new tank and you can just acid/bleach it for the most straightforward result.