PDA

View Full Version : Explanation please

strezman
08-08-2017, 02:49 AM
I have some bubble algae and was thinking about getting an emerald crab or two in hopes they might help combat the problem. So please explain..when bubble algae is popped it releases spores which contributes to more bubble algae. When an emerald crab eats the bubble algae do they not pop it? Thanks in advance!

WarDog
08-08-2017, 05:25 AM
Yup. Pretty much. I am shutting down my system because of bubble algae. It's almost impossible to completely remove. Good luck.

strezman
08-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Geez that's encouraging lol.. damn

hackerberry
08-08-2017, 08:49 PM
I cleaned up my infestation with blasting the bubble algae with boiling water. I turn off all of the circulation pump then blast them with boiling water from a syringe. I use at least 200ml every day. You will see them turn white right away or the next day.

604reefer
08-08-2017, 09:13 PM
I have some bubble algae and was thinking about getting an emerald crab or two in hopes they might help combat the problem. So please explain..when bubble algae is popped it releases spores which contributes to more bubble algae. When an emerald crab eats the bubble algae do they not pop it? Thanks in advance!

How much is there?

When I was a total newb I didn't know what bubble algae was and I brought home a bubble coral... At night I noticed all these little bubbles on it. So I picked them off carefully - just rolled em off with my index finger gently. Found out later it was bubble algae, but it didn't propagate. If you have a ton then other methods might work better...

Bugger
08-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Emareld crab will only eat the smaller sized ones

Cujo#31
08-08-2017, 10:10 PM
May or may not work, not sure, but I use the "wonder juice" more commonly known as Muriatic Acid on anything biological I don't want in my tank. Works wonders on Aiptasia and Majano if you can get to them. Found at any Canadian Tire in paint department.
Turn off all circ and return pumps and apply direct to infected area. You might have to shield any coral that may be exposed to the acid as it gasses off, but it works well. I'd say carefully pull some bubble off a rock and dose it in a separate container to see if the bubbles rupture, or if they just shrivel up and die.
Muriatic acid gasses off very quickly and does not impact Ph or other levels like some other treatments will. Just be careful, anything in the direct path of any gas-off bubbles will also be exposed to the acid.

albert_dao
08-09-2017, 01:52 AM
I also use muriatic to dispose of... Organic material.

strezman
08-09-2017, 02:43 AM
It's beginning to get bad so there's no way i can manually remove them all. Might try this boiling water method first as it seems very simple. Then onto the next method if that doesn't work. Bubble algae sucks! Thanks for the help.

duncangweller
08-09-2017, 05:28 AM
Im with wardog. The only way I was able to get rid of a bubble algae outbreak was to shut down the tank, bleach and acid bath my rock, re cycle and then start fresh.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Myka
08-09-2017, 12:23 PM
I have been able to eradicate it in several tanks. How big is your tank?

The spores are only viable if the popped bubble is mature. If the bubble is hard still it is not mature.

dino
08-09-2017, 02:02 PM
just be careful when working with acid and muriatic acid will definitely effect ph as that's what we use to lower ph at our pools. but in small amounts im sure it can be minimal

philg3
08-09-2017, 04:28 PM
I also use muriatic to dispose of... Organic material.

hahhahahahaha

DAVE
08-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Muriatic acid gasses off very quickly and does not impact Ph or other levels like some other treatments will. Just be careful, anything in the direct path of any gas-off bubbles will also be exposed to the acid.

Not sure I agree with that statement. Muriatic acid in IME does effect pH quite a bit even in small amounts. It is a strong acid that should be used carefully and safely.

Frogger
08-09-2017, 09:04 PM
I recently had bubble algae come in on about half a dozen Nassarius snails I purchased from local fish store. It wasn't on them when I put them in the tank but about 3 months later I started noticing the algae on the snails.

Myka
08-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Not sure I agree with that statement. Muriatic acid in IME does effect pH quite a bit even in small amounts. It is a strong acid that should be used carefully and safely.
Agreed! Even 10 mL of muriatic acid in 60 gallons of new SW will bring the pH down to high 6's or low 7's for several hours! Muriatic acid should NEVER be used in a running tank.

CHEAPREEF
08-10-2017, 02:55 PM
Muriatic Acid will also drive your ALK down in a big hurry, that is how I adjust my WC water if I am doing anything bigger than 10%. Takes very little to drop ALK and PH by a few points, be very careful with it if you do use it for anythign SW related.

strezman
08-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Tank is only 30 gallons. I didn't know it was only mature bubbles that release spores?? That's interesting. And mature ones become soft? I'm leaning lots here! Thanks!

Myka
08-11-2017, 01:24 PM
Tank is only 30 gallons. I didn't know it was only mature bubbles that release spores?? That's interesting. And mature ones become soft? I'm leaning lots here! Thanks!

You don't have a lot of options for predation then. I've tried various urchins and no luck there at all. Large male Emerald Crabs are one of the best options, but be aware they may also catch small fish. The females won't catch fish because their pincers are too small, but they are not as good for eating Bubble Algae. If you add enough Emerald Crabs they will eradicate Bubble Algae. Many Tangs and Foxface eat Bubble Algae too, but even a tiny one is not suitable for a 30-gallon tank.

If you have the type of Bubble Algae that forms large bubbles you'll have to manually remove those. Emerald Crabs won't eat anything more than 3/8" or so.

Also be aware, as with any algae, when predation is used to eradicate it, the animals poop all the algae nutrients into the tank, so this can create a never ending cycle if you don't remove the nutrients from the tank with effective water changes. I think this is why people blame "Emerald Crabs made it worse". Lazy Reefer Syndrome. :lol: