PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic Life RO Buddie system (cheap!)

rgrling
08-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Was looking for a simple, affordable RODI for my nano and came across this system for $85. That's the lowest Amazon price ever according to the triple camel. US reviews seem good too. Anyone have experience with it?

I know it's a low capacity system without all the bells and whistles but seems decent for the price?

https://www.amazon.ca/Aquatic-Changing-Deionization-Cartridge-50-Gallon/dp/B00204CQF6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1501881529&sr=1-1

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

gregzz4
08-04-2017, 11:40 PM
We don't need DI in the Metro area. I'd be looking into replacement filters for that unit before considering the purchase further.

Spend a bit more and get one from J&L. Vertex makes a nice unit @100GPD for $130 and it uses the most common replacement filters and parts you could ask for.

DKoKoMan
08-05-2017, 01:15 AM
Spend a bit more and get one from J&L. Vertex makes a nice unit @100GPD for $130 and it uses the most common replacement filters and parts you could ask for.

I agree with the above. I bought the unit and haven't had any issues making on average 30-40g biweekly. The selling point for me was the replacement filters are the standard and many oem parts are available.

rgrling
08-05-2017, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the insights. When you say that DI is unnecessary in the GVRD, do you mean that there's absolutely no benefit to be had by running DI on our region's water? Or is it more like we can get away without DI for the most part?

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

gregzz4
08-05-2017, 04:53 PM
Both ... DI only catches what RO has missed, which is TDS but not Organics.
Your Prefilter and Carbon cartridges do that job to some degree.
And if you leave exhausted DI resin in the system it will leach TDS back into your filtered water.

My Burnaby source water is between 5-10 TDS throughout the year. My RO membrane reduces it to 0 TDS. I acheive this by flushing the unit down the drain until the output is 0 (10-20 mins), then start collecting water. This regular cleaning of the membrane helps make it last for many years.

So why bother with the extra cost and maintenance?

GQsmooth
08-18-2017, 02:31 AM
that unit wastes a lot of water with its 1:3 ratio

Brunz
08-18-2017, 02:43 AM
I collect my waste water and water things with it.... things that don't need prestine water, like my children :)

reef tank...it gets the goods