PDA

View Full Version : ISO chiller for nano tank.

Silver
07-24-2017, 09:22 PM
Looking for a chiller for my 20(ish) enclosed nano tank in Greater Van or lower mainland.
Something that won't break the bank or get "one of those" looks from my husband. I am struggling to keep the tank below 85. (Fans on constantly, LED lights turned too low for my corals or off completely)

He's the one with the big display, I'm just starting out still learning so I'm not sure specifically what I want.
Perhaps thermoelectric. I don't mind drilling the top but I can't drill the tank.

Advice always welcome as well.

timmmmy55
07-24-2017, 09:36 PM
if you want and have the space for it a mini fidge for 50$ and a line of hose for 25$
used pump

you could make one to get you through this summer and that wont break the bank too

so many vid of ppl doing this too

may want to look into this if the chiller is to much

but i did see a post for a older chiller some one was selling and it was a fair price i think?

timmmmy55
07-24-2017, 09:37 PM
bryan is selliong an old one for thw 30 or 40 bucks if may do the job ;)

Silver
07-24-2017, 09:56 PM
Yeah I saw the ad but it's in need of repair, if it can be repaired :(
The other is an interesting idea but no space. I'll see what I can DIY but I was hoping for something affordable and reliable.

timmmmy55
07-24-2017, 10:19 PM
ya i hear ya from the sounds of it it does work just needs some screws to get it back together and for R12/24 fluid thats the same as any AC charge kit you can get at Canadian tire so if it has the nipple on it you may be in luck

and it should like it does frost up so that means it is running at at least 50% efficient, maybe give him a call and get your hand man side on ;)

my 2 cents

Silver
07-24-2017, 10:28 PM
Good point!

Silver
07-25-2017, 08:25 PM
Dialed down the lights on the LED controller (visually looks terrible tho) changed out for a smaller pump. Dropped it a few degrees. Bought two tiny fans to install tonight. Hopefully they work well enough with the smaller pump I can readjust the lights until I invest more money for what I really want!

Other tank is putting it to shame but I'll get there!

timmmmy55
07-25-2017, 08:43 PM
ya you can buy thesew chip on fans for tanks they do work quite well

i put a 4 fan on my brother 40 gallon and it dropped 5f over the first couple hours

done this a few times does work you will just have to top up more often

Silver
07-25-2017, 10:10 PM
I have two tiny flat wired fans that should fit into the hood, and point out (and in) through the existing vent grates.

That's out of my scope and hopefully hubby can figure it out! Lol.