PDA

View Full Version : Looking for sump design help

Craigdillman
07-19-2017, 06:25 AM
Hey guys im in the process of moving my tank over to my new house I now have the chance to change the layout of my sump 75g

What im trying to plan is to take out my spot that has 2 filter socks and revamp it to have filter pads instead was thinking course pad ( that i can wash and put back in )and then on top of that a fine filter pad or cut open filter socks that I can either throw away or wash quick

The left side of my sump overflows into a 4" by 18" chamber then overflows into the shelf holding 2 4" filter socks then down into chamber over a wall then into main part of the sump which holds my skimmer ( ill try to get a picture tomorrow here)

Now is the time when I move it, it will be empty and I can add or change the glass in there, Anyone have any pictures or ideas what's the best way to change to this type of setup, currently I have the filter socks cut off at the bottom and on top of that I have the filter pads Fine -->course over top but im looking for better ideas

Other idea was maybe going to that rolling mat thing but that's a few hundred dollars that I could use to go towards better places

Thanks

duncangweller
07-19-2017, 02:10 PM
The melevs reef website has a great section on sump design if you're looking for inspiration. Check it out

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Craigdillman
07-19-2017, 02:16 PM
Yeah i was actually looking through that a few weeks ago but all the designs on there didn't have really anything with filter pads or something like that most of them just had filter socks

DKoKoMan
07-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Check out gmac Reef sump design. I believe this is what your are looking for by way of slots for the filter pads. I currently run two filter pads instead of socks and they work fine.

Craigdillman
07-20-2017, 10:58 PM
Hrm still haven't found out one that i like , i seen one time a fish store in the states had all there sumps overflow down into some live rock then up and onto a "tray/shelf" that had the layers of padding then down through and up again over a wall then into main part

Just wondering how long I should make that shelf ? And wondering about bracing the filter sock shelf is just floating but if i made that longer would it need to be braced

Or maybe i should just use the existing shelf and redo the filter sock holes to allow the water more time to flow over the pads rather than down the filter sock holes

gregzz4
07-21-2017, 01:45 AM
Are you thinking of using the 19" x 24" plastic pads?
If so ...

What about running the filter pads vertically?
Front to back and replace your filter sock area. Then you still have water flowing down hill without having to make a new 'tray' for the pads.

gregzz4
07-21-2017, 01:56 AM
To elaborate;
If the pads are 1" thick, make a section 2" x 18" F-Back.
Put a verticle glass partition F-B maybe 1/3 top down.
Water flows through your coarse pad (forced through by your 1/3 high baffle), then the fine pad, then up and over the next baffle.
Sure, some will sneak through the top of the coarse pad and over everything, but the heavy stuff will hit the bottom of the sump before it gets to the pads anyway.
And if you really are worried about it, add a F-B flat top over the coarse pad.
Then you would remove the fine pad vertically, slip the coarse one over to the fine side against the baffle, and pull it out vertically.

Craigdillman
07-21-2017, 03:35 AM
O man yeah this is totally it, I'm gonna see if i can draw it out to see what u mean but this is what i was looking for i think

Awesome

---> attempts to draw said thing ---> realizes I'm no engineer.. lol

gregzz4
07-21-2017, 05:17 AM
looking forward to seeing your drawing ..

gregzz4
07-22-2017, 12:30 AM
Try this on for size

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Rebuild/Image0002_zpsiitrxplb.jpg

Craigdillman
07-23-2017, 03:48 PM
AWESOME MAN IM USING THIS

My drawing wasn't even close im not even going to post it lol

Thanks a ton
ill post some pics when I redo the sump

Finally got the temp tank all set up and this week is the big move, so if anyone has a prayer reactors throw some prayers in there for me ill need it 3.5yr old established reef getting moved I hope all goes well and hope not to lose anything ( but my invasive mushroom population)

gregzz4
07-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Cool. Don't use my measurements though without checking your pad thicknesses first.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Rebuild/Image0002_zpsiitrxplb.jpg (http://s749.photobucket.com/user/Gregzz4/media/75%20Gallon%20Rebuild/Image0002_zpsiitrxplb.jpg.html)

Craigdillman
07-24-2017, 07:41 PM
Dude yes thanks a million