PDA

View Full Version : Dehumidifiers??

ashr
07-03-2017, 11:03 PM
Hey all

I am wondering if anyone is running a dehumidifier for their fish tank rooms and if so, what are they using? I am in a basement and would love to add something but not sure what to buy. I don't want to spend a ton of cash but if anyone has some recommendations, i would be great!

Frogger
07-03-2017, 11:49 PM
I run a dehumidifier in the winter time. It keeps my humidity in the house at or below 50%. Without it the humidity in the house hits 70% and the windows fog up and I get mould. I do not run one in the summer as the byproduct of a dehumidifier is heat. I use a danby I bought a 25 years ago.

DKoKoMan
07-04-2017, 06:24 AM
I currently am running a delonghi portable dehumidifier (70 pint) in the basement to reduce humidity. So far it's been working great in the summer. I'm hoping with the furnace going in winter I won't need to turn it on.

Frogger
07-04-2017, 06:28 AM
If you run an air conditioner in the summer it will remove the moisture in the air. If you do not opening your windows with a good fan will circulate the air moving dryer air into the house.

ashr
07-04-2017, 06:02 PM
Got a new screen for my big window and gonna get a nice big fan! Cheaper I think and should work haha
I hope

kengeroo
07-04-2017, 09:25 PM
yep those home depot slide in window fans are great ,, I have one blowing at one window 24/7 at one end of my place,,, and another window opened up a crack... and it helps with keeping the pH level up !

Got a new screen for my big window and gonna get a nice big fan! Cheaper I think and should work haha
I hope

whatcaneyedo
07-05-2017, 01:31 PM
I used a small Danby dehumidifier on and off for a couple of years during the colder months when I didn't want to have a window open. It couldn't keep up with my 120gal, made a lot of noise, had to be emptied daily, and drew quite a bit of power. My new larger system (+300gal) is now built-in with a 300 cfm ceiling exhaust fan. Its very quiet and effective but still draws around 300watts. I basically always have a window cracked open a bit in that room as well to provide cool make up air. I've seen people build hoods or canopies over freestanding tanks and duct exhaust fans to those to blow the humid evaporation air outside. Its a bit of work and hard to conceal but a good long term solution.

ashr
07-05-2017, 11:40 PM
This would have to be something I would do when I own my own home again. Since I have moved to Vic I have been renting so the long game projects are a little hard. Windows open for now and a good fan seem to work :)