PDA

View Full Version : Live Sand

digger
12-01-2004, 09:16 AM
Hi,
I'm new to to this list, and just getting back into the reef hobby after 4 years.
We're setting up a coral tank in an aquarium that has been dormant but running for the last couple years. I was hoping someone could give me some ideas on the best way to set up a live sand bed,the best sand size, and should it be four inches deep or six inches ?... I have a 33 gallon and a 66 gallon tank. In each tank I have two inches of aragonite gravel on the bottom now but I'd like to add sand to it. I bought some dry aragonite sand by the pound at AI last weekend and didn't know if I can add it directly to the gravel bed. Can I just add the sand on top or should I mix it together, and is it best to do it gradually or can I do it all at once? Any recommendations would be really appreciated. I also need to find some live sand to add to the bed in order to populate it. Does anyone sell live sand?

snaggle
12-01-2004, 01:26 PM
I think if you want to add the dry stuff mix it up. I do know that big als sells livbe find it is like $40 for 20 lb I think. what do you mean by the tanks sat dormant if they had water and filters going and you toped up on a regular bases you should be able to use the dry stuf. hope this helps a bit.
welcoe to the board.

Brad

digger
12-02-2004, 02:31 AM
I think if you want to add the dry stuff mix it up. I do know that big als sells livbe find it is like $40 for 20 lb I think. what do you mean by the tanks sat dormant if they had water and filters going and you toped up on a regular bases you should be able to use the dry stuf. hope this helps a bit.
welcoe to the board.

Brad

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, the tank has just been running. It now has a bunch of crabs snails and some coral.
:biggrin: