PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Kelowna still here?

phillybean
06-29-2017, 02:22 AM
I got out of the Hobby in 2010 and remember a lot of local activity, getting back into it now and wondering if it's still there.

Myka
06-29-2017, 02:33 AM
I'm pretty sure I met you in Kelowna, but I don't live there anymore.

phillybean
06-29-2017, 03:22 AM
You bet, I can't remember what I bought or traded off you but I remember it vaguely.

How's the Reef scene in SK?

H2o2
06-29-2017, 09:22 AM
I am and u and I have traded stuff before

Myka
06-29-2017, 01:56 PM
You bet, I can't remember what I bought or traded off you but I remember it vaguely.

How's the Reef scene in SK?

There are a few of us SPS geeks out here, mostly LPS and Zoa peeps. Lots of activity though. There was a frag swap in the spring organized by one of the Facebook groups (we have 3 because no one can get along haha), and I couldn't believe how many people showed up.

How's Kelowna's scene? SW was never big in Kelowna. Pet City has that bigger store now, how's he doing for SW sales? Purple Seahorse always had the cheap salt, but I rarely bought stuff there. Then there was the one out of the house that was SW only...can't remember what he was called - he shut down didn't he? There was that other guy that tried it out of his basement, I think he was around for a couple years?

phillybean
06-30-2017, 01:00 AM
I am and u and I have traded stuff before

Awesome, in a couple months I'll be looking to see what you have :)

phillybean
06-30-2017, 01:04 AM
There are a few of us SPS geeks out here, mostly LPS and Zoa peeps. Lots of activity though. There was a frag swap in the spring organized by one of the Facebook groups (we have 3 because no one can get along haha), and I couldn't believe how many people showed up.

How's Kelowna's scene? SW was never big in Kelowna. Pet City has that bigger store now, how's he doing for SW sales? Purple Seahorse always had the cheap salt, but I rarely bought stuff there. Then there was the one out of the house that was SW only...can't remember what he was called - he shut down didn't he? There was that other guy that tried it out of his basement, I think he was around for a couple years?

Petcity is actually a lot better than I remember. Still not the greatest coral selection, but decent dry goods at a decent price. Bubble Magnus Skimmers for basically the same price as J&L.

Reefkeepers shut down and I don't think Chris who started that other one out of his home is doing it any more either. I hear there is a decent place in Vernon but haven't looked into them much.

I haven't set up another tank yet, but purchased a 90 Gallon, and a few things to get ready. Going to be doing an inwall set up, with a small fishroom in the furnace/laundry room.

Myka
07-01-2017, 01:49 AM
Petcity is actually a lot better than I remember. Still not the greatest coral selection, but decent dry goods at a decent price. Bubble Magnus Skimmers for basically the same price as J&L.

Reefkeepers shut down and I don't think Chris who started that other one out of his home is doing it any more either. I hear there is a decent place in Vernon but haven't looked into them much.

Yeah, I moved away before Pet City moved into the bigger location. I always found him the best to deal with. No ego, nice guy. Back in the day he did a mini quarantine on all new fish at his house before he brought them to the store too, and I thought his fish always looked good.

Oh right it was called Reef Keepers. I always found it uncomfortable to go to someone's home to shop - always felt like I had to buy something. Same with Chris - oh, it was called Interior Reef - but he never really had anything when I went over there.

The one in Vernon is AJ's Pets n Things. AJ is buddies with a good reefer friend of mine in Vernon, and AJ came along to MACNA in Dallas in 2012 I think it was. He learned a lot about SW while he was there, and was really humble and willing to learn and listen. He wanted to improve the SW aspect of his shop. I'm not sure if he accomplished his new vision or not...?

I haven't set up another tank yet, but purchased a 90 Gallon, and a few things to get ready. Going to be doing an inwall set up, with a small fishroom in the furnace/laundry room.

Lucky to have a fish room! I'm jealous!

mike31154
07-06-2017, 04:43 AM
AJs is still pretty much the only game in Vernon at the moment. There is/was a lady on Bella Vista Road with a home based operation but I haven't checked on that in a while. Come to think of it, it's been a few weeks since I stopped in at AJs and I noticed he was redoing most of the salt water tanks in the back. Had pretty much everything torn out on one wall. I'll have to pop in again soon to see how that's coming along.

shiftline
07-06-2017, 06:39 AM
I'm in kelowna :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mseepman
07-06-2017, 05:50 PM
AJ's is redoing his saltwater section. If you go in the store now, those are temporary tanks while they tear out everything to bring in the new tanks that are ordered and the new racks that are being built. Summer is slow so they aren't that fast at this reno, AJ doing a bunch of it himself.

Purple seahorse in Kelowna still has stuff (mostly cyano) but they can be okay too.

Seahorse Bay operates out of their house in Vernon and does well. Small shop but great livestock orders. Well priced for drygoods and will order stuff for you.