PDA

View Full Version : Flex hose return and overflow plumbing

Craigdillman
06-22-2017, 11:19 PM
Hey I'm thinking of using some sort of flex hose for return plumbing and overflow stuff , when i move my tank into the new house anyone do this? Seems like it could be easier and less noise and stuff , Any recommendations on what to use ?

Craigdillman
06-23-2017, 04:45 AM

mark
06-23-2017, 01:51 PM
lots of people use Spaflex

sobe
06-27-2017, 04:40 PM
I use the spaflex in drain. They dont really bend 90 degress, i guess you can say they curve, it is also heavier than pvc so you have to support it if you have your drain at the back of tank instead of under it. Or the weight of it will cause the bulkhead rubber seal to shrink unevenly causeing very slow leak over time.

For noise i had straight pvc plumbing in a pump, im using an insump pump not external, theres so much vibrating noise even after putting pump on rubber or styro mat. I have to redo my return eventually to lessen the noise. Straight lines for return avoid 90 deg bends

Craigdillman
06-27-2017, 04:44 PM
Ah ok thanks

Would you do it over again or just stick with straight pvc? I'm thinking having my tank against a wall and the sump be in the closet behind the tank was thinking the flex would be quick to set all up

mark
06-27-2017, 05:01 PM
I had did my basement sump (drains and return) with a combination of Spaflex and rigid PVC and would do the same again.

Since Spaflex is PVC and sized to work with regular PVC fittings using both there's no problem in laying out or gluing together.

Craigdillman
06-28-2017, 03:43 PM
O sweet yeah was just looking into this more this is exactly what I need thanks guys

albert_dao
07-02-2017, 06:37 PM
Some points from a professional installer:

• Don't use it if you want a clean looking install.
• So far as ease goes, that probably has more to do with your plumbing experience than the material -- I can plumb with rigid and fittings just as fast as I can with flex.
• Use a pump with sound dampening feet/pad and noise shouldn't be an issue.
• The fluid dynamics of your plumbing is almost not worth your consideration given how good powerheads have become.

In summary, if you're proficient with rigid plumbing, flex is a waste of your time and money.